Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding owner of a property

Options
  • 01-09-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

About two miles over the road in rural co.Kilkenny, there is a derelict house.

As the story goes, it was an old cottage on 1 acre which was thoroughly re-vamped and extended a couple of years ago. It was sold to a Dublin couple, but the day before they were to move in, the property was burgled by, ahem, "itinerants", and stripped of copper plumbing, which flooded the house.
    After this experience, the man's wife decided they didn't want to live there anymore, so after spending just one day in the place, they moved out.

The house was put up for sale but nobody bought it and it's since become delapidated.
    I contacted the auctioneer whos sign is still standing outside and he filled me in on the story above. Since the time the owners instructed him to sell it, he has not been able to contact them thus in effect, they have disappeared.

To me, it stinks of a case of jingle mail, where the house is now worthless and not worth the mortgage payable on it, so in effect returning the keys to the bank.

How would I locate the owner or the financial institution who has title to it in order to possibly make an offer??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

A solicitor would check the title for you - its either in the registry of deeds or the land registry.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

Got a bit further on this. I contacted the land registry who supplied me with the owner's name. However the address for him is the address of the derelict property. It also gives the name of a solicitor who did the conveyancing but she is no longer practising.
    On the documents, it showed that a mortgage was active on the property. I contacted the bank and they refused to give out any info, which is understandable.

One thing though, I sincerly doubt that any repayments are being made on this mortgage, considering the property is now totally derelict and had sold for astronomical price a few years ago.

If, as I think, it's a case of jingle mail, would there be any chance of success in purchasing it if I approached the banks again, or is there a standard procedure they must go through to repossess the house and sell it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Yes, there are loads of procedures to be gone through. They would need to go to court, then take possession of it.

You have done your basic research, but I think your best chance now is to go through local contacts, i.e., local estate agents and solicitors. Clearly, you have done this, but maybe push them a bit? They might have more luck with the institutions than you would have personally. Somebody must know something.

Did you try putting a note in the door? Probably won't work, but you might be surprised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

David09 wrote: »
    Got a bit further on this. I contacted the land registry who supplied me with the owner's name. However the address for him is the address of the derelict property. It also gives the name of a solicitor who did the conveyancing but she is no longer practising.
    On the documents, it showed that a mortgage was active on the property. I contacted the bank and they refused to give out any info, which is understandable.

One thing though, I sincerly doubt that any repayments are being made on this mortgage, considering the property is now totally derelict and had sold for astronomical price a few years ago.

If, as I think, it's a case of jingle mail, would there be any chance of success in purchasing it if I approached the banks again, or is there a standard procedure they must go through to repossess the house and sell it?

Try the Legal Diary on www.courts.ie. Is there any sign in the HIGH COURT or the Local County Registrars Court of a case between the bank and the registered owners?
    If there is a case pending you can go and watch.

Cheers milkandhoney for the suggestion - I'll take a look.

@ antoinolachtnai, I doubt putting a note through the letterbox would be a fruitful task. Half of the roof above it is missing!!!

I've since contacted the solicitors office who dealt with the conveyancing to the present owner back in 06. The solicitor herself is no longer practicing (promoted to judge) but another person in the office is trawling records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would try the note thing, just in case. Sometimes people keep an eye on property discreetly. An off-chance for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

NAMA. Sure they own everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

David09 wrote: »

The bank is absolutely your best bet. If the bank have a branch locally, try to get a meeting with the manager. If no success, then keep trying with other meetings, at head office etc.

Eventually, someone will realise that you are trying to take a non-performing loan off their hands and pay you some attention. If you don't have any success with meeting the local bank manager (but I expect you will) PM me the name of the bank, I might know someone working there to put you in touch with.

Spoke to a solicitor in the former solicitor's office. The contact details for the property owner are not valid. Apparently the bank had been in touch regarding title deeds and the correspondence between the solicitor sent to the client was returned undelivered.

The bank is my only option it seems.

@ edanto, you have pm!

Advertisement