Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LCA Irish

• 01-09-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi,
    As the title of this thread suggests I am going to be teaching LCA irish starting next week and Im just wondering if anyone has help/advice for me? Things to do/not to do, suggested scheme of work, suggestions for activities? all advice greatly appreciated as I am the only Irish teacher in the centre and Ive never taught LCA before!
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

There is a book (syllabus probably)about every LCA subject, there is a huge amount of information and suggested activities in the book (i havnt seen Irish but I have seen 4/5 other subjects) try to get your hands on this book and it will really help, it may even be online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Hi OP,

You should be able to find all the information you need here

http://lca.slss.ie/resources/downloads/Gaeilge.pdf

This is a link to the LCA Gaeilge module booklet. It tells you the key assignments for the course (over 2 years). You will need to ask the LCA Co-ordinator if Irish will be part of the General Education Task too.

Also, there will be a written, aural and oral exam. Past papers are available on www.examinations.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭cailindana

thank you very much for your replies. Ive downloaded the module descriptor and its very good. Thanks again!
    Cailindana

• Registered Users Posts: 19 muirthemne

hey guys......i saw this thread and was wondering if ye could help me....i understand all about the module descriptor for LCA and i av downloaded it.....my issue is that i am actually teaching the course to 3 different groups in a youthreach programme.....i have a majority of students who were exempt from irish since before their junior cert and 2 students who are not irish and have only lived here a few years.....the rest are extremely weak.....as you can probably gues they av absolutely no intention of working at this subject so it's goinfg to be a long and tough year....i am due to attend inservice before the end of the month but i need stuff to keep me going until then.

as i av mentioned already, they are an extremely tough group to manage and typical methods from within the school system simply wont work....this particular centre is well known for the tough nature of students and i have heard of many tutors giving in and jus packing it in.....this is not me and i do not want to give in to them.....

has anybody any ideas of what i can do with this group....bearing in mind the lack of knowledge and enthusiasm for the subject........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

GAA jerseys is good one and relevant to the syllabus. Use color and the irish version of the county name - crests, and so on.

• Advertisement

thanks golden virginia.......thats an excellent idea.....av spent the evening getting stuff ready for logainmneacha so that would be a nice way to move along with a similar topic!!!! any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

muirthemne wrote: »
    thanks golden virginia.......thats an excellent idea.....av spent the evening getting stuff ready for logainmneacha so that would be a nice way to move along with a similar topic!!!! any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Remember that everything doesn't have to be done in Irish.
    The project can be done in English which would help the weaker students.
    I am doing "Cures" with my LCAs this year as their project.
    They researched Irish Cures last year and we'll do the project this year.
    They were very interested and we knocked great crack out of it.
    I got a speaker in who had a cure and he did a talk with them on his work!

Can I ask a question regarding key assignments? What is expected of them? Do I give them a template and they fill it in or do they make their own assignment? How much information should be in one? Do I grade them/keep them? Sorry for all the questions Im just a bit lost!!!
    Thanks in advance for any replies.. :)

Can anybody help??? please :)

reviLook you need to study the module descriptor. A link is there on the first post of this thread above. At the end of each module is an " Eochair Chleachtai". Read this , see what you make of it, and then get back on here with any questions about it. I'm not an Irish teacher, just lots of experience coordinating LCA.

• Advertisement

hey guys.....jus an update on my LCA crowd......!! olden virginia, ur suggestions worked a treat.....i also did the inservice which was made available....it was a relief to hear that others were not as prepared as me!!! its been tough and the students are VERY hesitant (negative) about Irish................im gettin there slowly but surely!! i have a key assignment done......whoop whoop.......'rinne siad píosa cainte'...........that was a challenge to both myslef and the students.....i basically made out a template and they filled in the blanks.it was the only way it was goin to work....am hopin to tackle the DVD/TV programme aspect soon.............hope that will go according to plan!!!! keep me updated with ur ideas!! i presume the the questions they answer about the DVD are to be done on paper and can be quite general?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭prancer

Started teaching my first class of LCAS this year and no inservice done either. I was going to get them to do a project of "Perception of Irish in School". Get them to do a questionnaire and hand it out to all the other years that do Irish about what they think of the subject etc. Just wondering is it ok to do this or has anyone any other ideas?

its seems a good idea Prancer. I have seen it done twice.

Also, how about getting students to do a sign for each classroom in school. Eg " Seomra Ealain"
    - dare i say you could laminate these signs and put them up.

Another one is to get LCA's to organise " seactain na gaelige" - its a bit too early now - its in March I think.

Muirthemne, how about for the dvd if you could show students the presidential election debate on t na g. The candidates speak about Irish and their attitudes to the language - but its mostly in english, which makes it more accessible to the students of LCA.

Advertisement