Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just broke my kindle screen

Options
  • 01-09-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Im so sad , was right in the middle of reading in bed when i heard a loud noise outiside so sat up and peeked out through curtains to have a look nothin out there ,sat back and elbow banged off screen and it broke.

Im so sad i only have it two months but im really attached to it :-(

I contacted amazon straight away and they are sending me a new replacement for €60 with shipping etc as long as i send back the broken one in a pre paid box they are giving me, excellent customer service but im still so sad :-(

Anyone else manage to break theirs yet in similarily stupid ways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Mine should definitely be broken by now with the amount of accidental abuse it's been through. Sat on, dropped on hard floor, been spilled on. Good to know the customer service is decent for when the inevitable happens though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

/Waits for Denerick to remark on how paper books can't be broken. :D

Commiserations OP. Sounds like a good service from Amazon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

The Gnome wrote: »
    Mine should definitely be broken by now with the amount of accidental abuse it's been through. Sat on, dropped on hard floor, been spilled on. Good to know the customer service is decent for when the inevitable happens though.

It's survived having stuff spilled on it? I'm impressed. Any time I've seen a laptop that someone has spilled a drink on, the screen has been ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

That is strange. The screen on my Kindle broke. I rang Amazon and they sent out a new one for free, and paid for the return postage. And it was my fault the screen broke.

Single best customer service I've ever encountered.

The screen really is flimsy though.

Kinski wrote: »
    It's survived having stuff spilled on it? I'm impressed. Any time I've seen a laptop that someone has spilled a drink on, the screen has been ruined.

Yeah, I'm impressed myself. It was only water so perhaps I was lucky, I've what happens when wine goes up against a laptop and the results aren't pretty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

/Waits for Denerick to remark on how paper books can't be broken. :D
    That was my very first thought :p Good old paper books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sally2

too bad
    nature had given you the chance to get an ipad but you missed it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

sally2 wrote: »
    too bad
    nature had given you the chance to get an ipad but you missed it :P

Reading on an ipad is a rubbish experience. You don't know what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Sergeant wrote: »
    Reading on an ipad is a rubbish experience. You don't know what you're talking about.
    +1
    I have an iPad and I got a kindle to read books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Sergeant wrote: »
    True. A book is the only way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Just got a Kindle earlier this week and it is absolutely great, so reading things like this terrifies me :eek:

I've been treating it like an egg-shell so far, but I know myself, and down the line once I'm used to having one I'll become a lot less careful with it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 alvinphee42

Whoops! S... happens!

Your Belfast lad, Alvin Phee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Columbia wrote: »
    Just got a Kindle earlier this week and it is absolutely great, so reading things like this terrifies me :eek:

I've been treating it like an egg-shell so far, but I know myself, and down the line once I'm used to having one I'll become a lot less careful with it :o
    As long as you have a case for it your fairly safe, im 100% confident if my case cover was closed and the exact same thing happened it would of been fine. the crack the screen makes haunts me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I have just recieved my new kindle , :-) already pre linked to my account so happy days . And dropped off the broken one to ups to be sent back :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Kindle replaced a kindle with a broken screen for me too. Cost me nothing, they refunded me the postage back of the broken one too.

Great service - clearly it's in their interest to keep people with working kindles. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

ditto experience as Dades.

The Gnome wrote: »
    Good to know the customer service is decent for when the inevitable happens though.

It's happened :( Gonna try contact Amazon tomorrow and see what the deal is. Shouldn't have said anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Claire L

Dades wrote: »
    Kindle replaced a kindle with a broken screen for me too. Cost me nothing, they refunded me the postage back of the broken one too.

Great service - clearly it's in their interest to keep people with working kindles. :)

Hi There,
    i've just printed off a shipping label to return my damaged Kindle to Amazon.
    Can I just send it back in its original box in a jiffy bag or do I need to use some other method ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Im so sad , was right in the middle of reading in bed when i heard a loud noise outiside so sat up and peeked out through curtains to have a look nothin out there ,sat back and elbow banged off screen and it broke.

Im so sad i only have it two months but im really attached to it :-(

I contacted amazon straight away and they are sending me a new replacement for €60 with shipping etc as long as i send back the broken one in a pre paid box they are giving me, excellent customer service but im still so sad :-(

Anyone else manage to break theirs yet in similarily stupid ways.

thats bizzare. I was having issues with mine before christmas, it would start freezing in the middle of me reading it and then it would reset completely so I would loose where I was in the book and have to skip what ever % i had read since I last locked it. I got onto amazon before xmas and they sent me a new one for free, I had the previous 11 months. I find it really strange that you had to pay for a new one.
    My new one has started to reset and freeze again so I have to get back onto them again :/. Plus they said nothing about sending back the original one

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Do you have a kindle cover? I know some of the covers were faulty and making the kindle reset iself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Posy wrote: »
    Do you have a kindle cover? I know some of the covers were faulty and making the kindle reset iself..

This is the cover I have... how would that be whats causing the issues.
    http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Leather-Updated-Design-Keyboard/dp/B004JXVOEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325915152&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

thats bizzare. I was having issues with mine before christmas, it would start freezing in the middle of me reading it and then it would reset completely so I would loose where I was in the book and have to skip what ever % i had read since I last locked it. I got onto amazon before xmas and they sent me a new one for free, I had the previous 11 months. I find it really strange that you had to pay for a new one.
    My new one has started to reset and freeze again so I have to get back onto them again :/. Plus they said nothing about sending back the original one
    The difference is that you didn't do anything to break it, the previous poster broke it themselves. Amazon would have been within their rights to charge full price for a new one, giving a discount is pretty good customer service

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Apparently the metal hooks that attach the cover to the kindle were causing problems- like the kindle refusing to wake up from sleep mode.
    If you check out google and the amazon site there is some information there. It mightn't be the problem, but it's worth checking out perhaps.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374502,00.asp

Advertisement