Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi fare Donneycarney to Tallaght, how much?

Options
  • 02-09-2011 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Tomorrow night (around 8pm) I need to get from the Donneycarney area (near the church) to Tallaght (the Tallaght Luas stop) as quickly as possible. How much do you think a taxi would cost? Would it be an arm and a leg?

Option A is to get a taxi into town, and then get the Luas out to Tallaght. Total journey time I would imagine would be around 40 minutes & the taxi fare at around a tenner. Option B is to get a taxi all the way out to Tallaght. Travel time 20/25 mins. Do you think if I ask the taxi driver to quote a flat rate (a) would he do it and (b) if yes, what would be a reasonable fare quote be? 30 quid, 40 quid or worse? Would prefer the taxi option myself, but not if it costs a crazy amount 'o money.

Also, I do not know know the Tallaght area well at all. On the off chance that I get a taxi driver that does not know Tallaght well either, is the Tallaght Luas stop near any thing well known (the hospital, The Square for example) that I can tell him to aim for? I really won't have the time to just let him drive around until he finds it. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Tomorrow night (around 8pm) I need to get from the Donneycarney area (near the church) to Tallaght (the Tallaght Luas stop) as quickly as possible. How much do you think a taxi would cost? Would it be an arm and a leg?

Option A is to get a taxi into town, and then get the Luas out to Tallaght. Total journey time I would imagine would be around 40 minutes & the taxi fare at around a tenner. Option B is to get a taxi all the way out to Tallaght. Travel time 20/25 mins. Do you think if I ask the taxi driver to quote a flat rate (a) would he do it and (b) if yes, what would be a reasonable fare quote be? 30 quid, 40 quid or worse? Would prefer the taxi option myself, but not if it costs a crazy amount 'o money.

Also, I do not know know the Tallaght area well at all. On the off chance that I get a taxi driver that does not know Tallaght well either, is the Tallaght Luas stop near any thing well known (the hospital, The Square for example) that I can tell him to aim for? I really won't have the time to just let him drive around until he finds it. Thanks for any advice.

I'm not sure, but I'd guess at €30 to €35 through town or about €20 more than that via the M50. Tallaght Luas stop is at the back of The Square.

EDIT: If taxi companies will do Tallaght to the Airport for €35 via the M50, you should be able to get someone to take you that route for €35 or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I drove a taxi for awhile (shudder, horrible job).. I'd a regular fare from Coolock to Kingwood at 4pm and it would average €30-€34 depending on traffic (via the city center).

DO NOT let the driver take you via the M50, it'll cost way more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Grand. Thanks for the advice. So the M50 is not a good idea? Was wondering about that. So if he goes through town, what way should he go? No need to plot out the exact route, just the main roads or land marks. The last couple of times I got a taxi a decent distance, the driver asked me if I had a preference as to which way we went. I did, as I knew the areas well & it saved me a ton of money. What way should I tell him to go if he asks me if I have a chosen route out to Tallaght?

Time is also a big factor for me. If I go through town, will the trip time be longer due to traffic and traffic lights? What do you reckon the trip will take going via town, versus the M50. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The Tallaght Luas stop is the terminus and right beside the square and a few hundred yards from the hospital.

Seems crazy that a taxi driver might not know but that's what you're dealing with these days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I drove a taxi for awhile (shudder, horrible job).. .

Off topic but really?
    I loved being a taxi driver and really miss it.:(

On topic - M50 is good if the driver is willing to travel for a fixed price. It will be quicker and cheaper for the driver too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A taxi driver who doesn't know the Luas terminus in Tallaght shouldn't be on the road tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

If it were me I'd go for a taxi to Connolly and then a Luas. A taxi will fly down the Malahide Road and up the North Strand as far as Connolly and then, once you're on the Luas, you're laughing. As I said, that's just me, I'm a tight b*stard though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

cosmic wrote: »
    If it were me I'd go for a taxi to Connolly and then a Luas. A taxi will fly down the Malahide Road and up the North Strand as far as Connolly and then, once you're on the Luas, you're laughing. As I said, that's just me, I'm a tight b*stard though!

Backed completely! And there won't be much time saved if you take a taxi the whole way, unless you use the M50, but you'll be paying tons for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I'll do it for 25 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/dublin?to=tallaght&from=donneycarney+dublin&time=20-00&phone_booking=

Yes ^ This does use the M50, which as highlighted by everyone costs a lot more.

But this website is an excellent general reference, and is usually spot on to within a euro or so of the exact fare ( have used and compared several times )

I'm sure there is a way of leaving out the m50 on the site, but I'm not sure how to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

I always fix a price when Im getting cabs home from city centre to Lucan after a night out which is a fair spin. I only ever pay €20 max, you may get a few knock backs but keep trying, all they can say is no, and there's no shortage of cabs comin along. You're journey is obviously a bit longer but it should give you an idea of what to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks for the input every one. Wound up getting a taxi out there. Cost me 32 euros. The driver was a decent skin. He didn't really know where to to once we got off the Belgard Rd. Said he work on the north side mainly. Had to drive around for about 5 mins and do a few u turns before we found where we needed to be. Area is not well sign posted or well lit at all if you don't know the area well and it is dark, which it was. He turned the meter off when he admitted he didn't know where to go and that probably saved me a good few bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hermy wrote: »
    Off topic but really?
    I loved being a taxi driver and really miss it.:(

Not a penny to be made, way too much competition.

Cut throat industry, crazy regulator, yearly NCT and suitability test (most costs).

By the time I was out of it I was driven (no pun) up the walls with stress, good God I hope I've to work as a taxi driver again.

OP €32 is about on the button alright, and sounds like you got a decent bloke.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Not a penny to be made, way too much competition.
    Cut throat industry, crazy regulator, yearly NCT and suitability test (most costs).
    By the time I was out of it I was driven (no pun) up the walls with stress, good God I hope I've to work as a taxi driver again.

Sadly I couldn't agree more on the regulation (or lack of ) side of things.
    But I loved the work, never the same day twice, met all sorts of people with all sorts of tales to tell, and there were so many opportunities to do people a good turn - whether that was returning lost property or helping tourists who were lost or drivers stuck in the snow. Plus there's a lot to be said for being self-employed.
    But honesty and making money don't seem to go hand in hand in taxiing so like yourself I was driven out by the stress of it all.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement