Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Files: Did they shift the GPO after the Rising

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

See here is today's view: http://g.co/maps/q4ax

So did they narrow North Earl after the great conflict?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭teotihuacan

I don't really know Dublin City that well at all, but the only logical thing i can think of is that N Earl Street was constructed post 1916 rising. Perhaps the buildings there were damaged during the rising and were demolished and a new street (N Earl Street) was reconstructed slightly off centre to the front of the GPO?

Clery's is directly in front of the GPO today and it lived through the Risng I believe.

Maybe the block to the left of Clery's was newly constructed. Seen here http://g.co/maps/8w9f

THat has to be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭teotihuacan

ahh, yes, that does make sense. Looking at that photo, the block to the left of clery's definitely looks like it was constructed at a different time.

Mystery solved then. Just a quick switcheroo with that building.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

I don't think that is a contemporary photgraph but a still taken during the shooting of the Michael Collins film which played a bit fast and loose with the events and locations of 1916 Dublin. AFAIK the nearest artilery piece to shell the GPO was in Westmoreland or D'Olier St.

Besides why would they rebuild the street in a different place- the street itself cobblestones and all was still there why move it? Here's a map of Dublin in 1913 showing North Earl st so unless they moved it before 1916 and then put it back after ...:)

http://roots.swilson.info/dublincity_1913/dublincity_1913.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

AFAIK the nearest artilery piece to shell the GPO was in Westmoreland or D'Olier St.

No wonder Sackville St was in ruins

That's trying to hit to hit the GPO at a severe angle

Yes, I know I'm coming across as an armchair expert but just seems a difficult shot to me

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Looks like it was just the angle the different photos were taken.

Looks like it was just the angle the different photos were taken.

I don't think so. It would be impossible to get the whole building in like that today even if you stood on the right hand side of North Earl Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Just looked at the OSI website where you can view historic maps. A map from 1842 has North Earl Street directly across from Henry Street as it is today. I say that photo must be manipluated or possibly from the set of Michael Collins, as said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

http://www.whatwasthere.com/browse.aspx#/ll/53.3493347167969,-6.259889125823975/id/5227/info/sv/

The above image shows the GPO located directly in front of the street from which the photo was taken.

Nowadays isn't the building slightly more towards the left. You can't see it fully from North Earl Street.

I also remember seeing it in Neil Jordan's biopic Michael Collins.

So did they shift the foundations or what?

That's a still from the Neil Jordan fictionalised Michael Collins story. British artillery (apart from the gun on the Helga) fired from South of the Liffey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

It's the main set from Michael Collins. That's a publicity shot which has been "aged". The other end of the set was The Mansion House (or a representative thereof), there were two side streets one with the hotel & one with nondescript buildings.

iMax wrote: »
    It's the main set from Michael Collins. That's a publicity shot which has been "aged". The other end of the set was The Mansion House (or a representative thereof), there were two side streets one with the hotel & one with nondescript buildings.

The other end in the film was the Mansion House?

Why was that featured in the film?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The other end in the film was the Mansion House?

Why was that featured in the film?
    It's where the Treaty debate happened. Some of the interior filming was in the 1937 Reading Room in TCD. They gave out free cigarettes to extras!

In the film at the start they line the boys up un a yard/park somewhere with railings.

What/Where is that meant to be?

That's the Mansion House facade, but I think it's supposed to be the front of the Rotunda where that happened (IIRC)

The prisoners were sent to the Rotunda after the surrender, but the identification of the leaders happened the next day at Richmond Barracks in Inchicore.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I concur that it is likely a still from the film, which was filmed at Grangegorman.
    http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=swrv95gg93d0&lvl=19.081275872544733&dir=346.2390420801205&sty=b&form=LMLTCC

Note that the chimneys in the GPO survived the fire, but are missing from that photo. http://eu.art.com/products/p12062060-sa-i1504942/the-dublin-general-post-office-after-the-easter-uprising-of-1916.htm?aff=conf&ctid=1239511331&rfid=079957&tkid=15023298
    iMax wrote: »
    That's the Mansion House facade, but I think it's supposed to be the front of the Rotunda where that happened (IIRC)
    In the film its more presented as what is now the Department of Education on Marlborough Street.

Some pics: http://irelandposters.com/irish_movies/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I preferred the depiction from Young Indiana Jones myself:

So why didn't Neil Jordan put North Earl Street at the right angle to the GPO?

Was it better to film it straight on?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

So why didn't Neil Jordan put North Earl Street at the right angle to the GPO?

Was it better to film it straight on?

Because he would have had to build Nelson's Pillar which was in the middle of Sackville St

• Advertisement

So he left Nelson's Pillar out of the film? :o

Is that not a bit extreme? You'd think it would be a central point and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Could be a case of artistic licence as well. Was there a scene in the film that showed British troops charging up North Earl St as rebels shoot at them from the GPO directly in front of them? Mightnt have looked as good if they had to attack at an angle like in real life.

Could be a case of artistic licence as well. Was there a scene in the film that showed British troops charging up North Earl St as rebels shoot at them from the GPO directly in front of them? Mightnt have looked as good if they had to attack at an angle like in real life.

True and it would have been even worse if there was a stump of stone (Nelson's Pillar) in the way too!

As well as artistic licence, film sets are all about angles. You get much more useable space building a basic set of 90 degree angles than you would being elaborate.

Is that not a bit extreme? You'd think it would be a central point and all...
    Whereas putting De Valera beside Collins in the GPO and having Ned Broy killed by the Brits in Dublin Castle was reasonable?

Edit: Oh and car bombs, FFS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

I preferred the depiction from Young Indiana Jones myself:

Other than the GPO magically moving to Nth Earl St on 4:17, that's actaully a fairly detailed peice.. even down to the Abbey Theatre posters... Must get a look at the full episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Other than the GPO magically moving to Nth Earl St on 4:17, that's actaully a fairly detailed peice.. even down to the Abbey Theatre posters... Must get a look at the full episode.

I loved it when I saw it as a sprog, however, on review, there are clangers like bus stops and shutters but they use a lot of "authentic" streets and it's a funny auld romp. I just wish they had an Indiana Jones train station somewhere in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

A perspective from Henry St/Sackville St in 1922

CivilWarPics008.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Can anyone read the inscription on the base?

Advertisement