Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safety Camera van and no road sign ?

• 02-09-2011 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I saw recently signs popping up over the place for speed cameras.

and i wondered why and asked about it and was told the signs have to be up because there may or may not be a safety camera van ahead but they have to be there to be able to prosecute.

now thats just what i was told.

so if there are no signs around at all and theres a van just sitting at the side of the road catching people speeding can they issue you with a fine and penalty points ?

like no warning signs of the van or speed check ahead for the van or the likes... just a van parked on a corner !

cheers !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

just also to add here that the position of the van at the time of when i saw it was on a road thats not on the Garda Safety camera website.

the van was completely white with two markings on the back doors and nothing else.

are they allowed catch people speeding in the case ?

and if someone was to be caught speeding here could it be protested ?

just interesting chat !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

there can be cameras anywhere, and of course you can be prosecuted if speeding..you shouldn't be speeding anyway

callaway92 wrote: »
    there can be cameras anywhere, and of course you can be prosecuted if speeding..you shouldn't be speeding anyway

no no .. was just asking cos it sounded kinda silly that you wouldnt get fined and that just cos there was no sign up so wanted to ask if it was the case.

nobody getting caught speeding here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

robbie_998 wrote: »
    I saw recently signs popping up over the place for speed cameras.

and i wondered why and asked about it and was told the signs have to be up because there may or may not be a safety camera van ahead but they have to be there to be able to prosecute.

now thats just what i was told.

so if there are no signs around at all and theres a van just sitting at the side of the road catching people speeding can they issue you with a fine and penalty points ?

like no warning signs of the van or speed check ahead for the van or the likes... just a van parked on a corner !

cheers !

You should edit your post, they're speed cameras, not safety cameras.

Best not let their propaganda work eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

callaway92 wrote: »

GoSafe ones have to be in marked areas though.

If the van didn't have any markings, it's likely it's one of the Gardaí's yokes, which don't have any such restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

corglass wrote: »
    You should edit your post, they're speed cameras, not safety cameras.

Best not let their propaganda work eh?

Exactly!!! At least there are still some intelligent people out there who have not fallen for this crap :). They only detect speed so they should be called speed cameras because that is what they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 happy hamster

go safe have two types of van one marked and one un-marked. you only need to worry about are the marked vans as the others are only doing survey's and not equiped with camera's. both vans have flash boxes mounted over the back doors. the gardai also use un-marked vans. the camera signs are up due to european legislation and the vans can only operate within the two signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If the van didn't have any markings, it's likely it's one of the Gardaí's yokes, which don't have any such restrictions.
    I thought the Garda vans could only operate at the sites listed on the Garda website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Anan1 wrote: »
    I thought the Garda vans could only operate at the sites listed on the Garda website?
    think thats only for the new crowd (go safe oe whatever they are called) the garda van can be anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I recently asked a traffic cop about a KY van that wasn't in full colours, he said it was a training vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

I think they do have to operate within the signs.

Heard of lots of people getting letters with their speeding tickets cancelled because the van wasn't in an area on the website or because the signs were not up on the road it was one or the other.

They've since put signs up on that road so probably the latter reason I'd guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Listen, if you are exceeding the speed limit and get caught you are guilty.

Grow balls and wear them. You were in the wrong. You know what the limits are, you chose to chance it, got caught. The fact that they were sly is irrelevant.

We've all done it, sometimes you get stuffed.

It doesnt matter if an alien recorded you - if you were "speeding" you're guilty. Quit looking for an out or trying to blame others.

fishtits, serial offender - used to be, now too lazy. (too poor)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Fishtits wrote: »

Grow balls and wear them. You were in the wrong. You know what the limits are, you chose to chance it, got caught. The fact that they were sly is irrelevant.

It doesnt matter if an alien recorded you - if you were "speeding" you're guilty. Quit looking for an out or trying to blame others.

Well if they make the law and don't abide by it why should anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Are they with you now? If you cant talk just type your next reply in all bold CAPs
    Just dont give up.
    Bloody Naas Road Pirates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Keith186 wrote: »
    Well if they make the law
    Link please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Go Safe ones (marked variety) park up in certain areas. They don't necessarily have to be demarked with signs.

There are also unmarked Go Safe vans. These vans are for survey purposes & can park up anywhere. They do not issue points.

There are also Garda vans, both marked & unmarked. These can go anywhere and do issue points. They also flash at you when you're caught.

As for the mandatory signs, they're not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

fair point, but in this case I don't actually think the OP was speeding or is looking for a way out getting fined. He's just enquiring about the rules around signage, etc.

LLU wrote: »
    fair point, but in this case I don't actually think the OP was speeding or is looking for a way out getting fined. He's just enquiring about the rules around signage, etc.

pretty much

i mean its a bit silly that just because its a van it has to have a sign warning you that it will be further down the road

but if its just one of the lads in a garda car and a speed gun then they dont need it at all.

there shouldnt be any need for the signs at all... as someone else said there earlier the speed limit should be enough

Advertisement