Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Choked on my 1st ever gig!

• 02-09-2011 5:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Booed off straight away.....what now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Just laugh it off and put it down to experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Where did you play?

For your 2nd gig maybe try and pick a place that's a bit more beginner-friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Where did you play?

For your 2nd gig maybe try and pick a place that's a bit more beginner-friendly.

True, the O2 not the best place to start with knock knock jokes i suppose :rolleyes: Next stop laughter lounge!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

How on earth did you land the O2 as your first gig?

joshrogan wrote: »

Must have seemed funnier in auditions :o they wont make that mistake again!

Knock knock?

Whos there?

I-eep.....

I-eep who?

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Get back onstage as soon as possible and re-think your opening few gags, how can you get their attention in a funny way and make them either like you/like what you do or be intrigued as to where you are going

also, learn how to show no fear, expect the boos, be prepared for them and act like it doesnt hurt, even have a funny line to respond with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

joshrogan wrote: »

I expect he was joking about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Give up and get yourself an office job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Oranage2 wrote: »
    then start bitching about said office job...and get yourself up there...genius

Oranage2 wrote: »
    then start bitching about said office job...and get yourself up there...genius

Perfect ;-) Des Bishop made a lucrative career from something similar! And still bitches non stop by the way! :-D

On a side note, why is an office job always the return point of failure? Surely the bank officials of this country never.....oh now I've spotted the gold mine, thank you boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I work an office job dealing with the public, its a comedy anecdote goldmine

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭andy2die4

How about a real sample of what you did/did'nt do. What ever happens, if you really want to do this, do'nt give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

How about analysing the reason you were booed off? I've been to many shows that feature terrible comedians - the audience normally sits there quietly hoping they'll finish up soon. Were you deliberately provocative/offensive/aggressive right from the outset? If so, then that's the risk you can take with material like that (but it can definitely work - think of Dave McSavage - and it can help you stand out from the crowd, there must be at least 20 "likeable nice guy" comedians in Dublin alone who have yet to find their niche which makes them memorable)

Another reason I could think you might be booed off stage is if you're material is overly cliched/completely unoriginal/"borrowed"...

I'm not saying that these are the only reasons why this might have happened (could be a particularly boisterous crowd e.g. Stag or Hens who sense nerves and attack) but if you think about what the crowd's motivation to boo you was, this will help you to rectify this for the next time you go on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭andy2die4

world's shortest joke " venison's deer"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

I suspect the clue is in the title? i.e booed because you choked ? chalk it down t oexperience maybe rent out and watch 8 mile as inspiration he choked his first time on stage then he came back strong destroyed the baddie and got the girl.So don't give up just yet.

Keep the chin up and press on.Where was your first gig? i only ask because a late night gig with many people tanked up on alcohol might not be the best place to start,a comedy comp or small comedy club where people have gone to see new talent might be a better look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lilijoyce

I had 2 good gigs and my 3rd gig was so bad that said i'd never do it again but got dragged back in a year later, eventually realising that it was the circumstances that made it not work, so try again. if it doesnt work the tenth time, maybe so you should think about changing it a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ras' Al Ghul

Hi,

Is there any meet up groups where budding stand ups can bounce material and form possible suicide pacts of commitment to doing 100 gigs?
    Rather than paying 300 euro for a course ya know.
    Anyone on for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AnthonyK7

Start a thread on the internet

Hi,

Is there any meet up groups where budding stand ups can bounce material and form possible suicide pacts of commitment to doing 100 gigs?
    Rather than paying 300 euro for a course ya know.
    Anyone on for it?

Im up for it but not in a gay way

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ras' Al Ghul

A situation where two people of the same sex get together in a non gay way?
    Thats exactly the kind of creative thinking that gets people laughing.
    Well I figure a bunch of people meet up, play improv games to get (non gay) creative and associative juices flowing and then work on premise-punch/act outs in a friendly non judgemental waying.
    And then hold each other to their word to actually do stand up over and over again until practice makes perfect.

• Advertisement

Great idea, count me in for it. maybe we should start a thread because this is off topic & the admin are really annoyed by this kind of thing. I have been banned before so I suppose I can be the anti establishment figure of the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nadadine

Everyone's crap when they start out and some of the biggest comedians around still have off-nights. Eddie Izzard was rejected for 10 years (that was complete shot in the dark, but it was definitely a long time) before people took a shine to him.

Advertisement