Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get track shoes?

• 02-09-2011 7:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

I've noticed a lot of athletes at the Worlds and even at the Nationals wore quite specific track shoes. However when I look on Wiggle etc, they just seem to have standard runners as such.

Where do they get the track shoes from?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

http://www.bournesports.com/athletics/track-and-field-footwear/

I have used them several times, very reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ryath

Seen the Asics store in Kildare village had a couple of types at very good prices last week. Only €25-30 was quite tempted but don't actually make it to my clubs track sessions enough to justify getting them. Are they worth getting if you're only training on the track?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Ryath wrote: »
    Seen the Asics store in Kildare village had a couple of types at very good prices last week. Only €25-30 was quite tempted but don't actually make it to my clubs track sessions enough to justify getting them. Are they worth getting if you're only training on the track?

My advice would be to avoid them unless you are racing on track. They are designed to be light and as such offer very little support. For sprinters/ MD guys you will see them do sessions in them because usually the volume is low and the emphasis is on speed.
    For runners of 5k+ the emphasis is on higher volume in sessions and as such you need a little more support in training to avoid injury. Best bet would be wearing racing flats for sessions with high volume and (this is a personal thing) will not race in flats for distances over 5k on track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I don't race on the track myself but I'm just wondering if I ever did, would those types of shoes be worth a wearing. I need stability runners for normal training so I don't know how good those would be on the track. Although again, they would only be used for a race at a track which isn't on the cards for me anytime soon.

Just interested more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

ecoli wrote: »
    My advice would be to avoid them unless you are racing on track. They are designed to be light and as such offer very little support. For sprinters/ MD guys you will see them do sessions in them because usually the volume is low and the emphasis is on speed.
    For runners of 5k+ the emphasis is on higher volume in sessions and as such you need a little more support in training to avoid injury. Best bet would be wearing racing flats for sessions with high volume and (this is a personal thing) will not race in flats for distances over 5k on track

I’m sorry for butting in here, but I thought the tide had turned on the whole needing support. The more support you have the likely you are to get injured, as far as I know. Just after re-reading “Born to Run” for the umpteen time and I’d have to agree with the less is more route. I know it’s not strictly on topic of where to buy the correct shoes, but I think it’s an important point all the same.

• Advertisement

G-Money wrote: »
    I don't race on the track myself but I'm just wondering if I ever did, would those types of shoes be worth a wearing. I need stability runners for normal training so I don't know how good those would be on the track. Although again, they would only be used for a race at a track which isn't on the cards for me anytime soon.

Just interested more than anything.

They are definitely worth wearing. the weight factor aswell as grip of track in wet conditions really benefits. Most people reckon you gain 1-2 secs per 400m with spikes.
    However you need to evaluate the pro's and con's. As i said before less weight = less support meaning that injury risk is increased and for this reason you need to take your weight/ height/ injury history into account. Personally speaking I think most people here who are not specific track runners would be better off investing in racing flats. These offer more support while still being lightweight enough to give a runner benefits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'm with ecoli - if you're not used to lightweight shoes and decide to hit the track in your 'minimalist' spikes you're asking for lower calf / achilles problems.
    Best to use your racing shoes for sessions and gradually move to spikes if you plan on racing 3k or less.

Mossess wrote: »
    I’m sorry for butting in here, but I thought the tide had turned on the whole needing support. The more support you have the likely you are to get injured, as far as I know. Just after re-reading “Born to Run” for the umpteen time and I’d have to agree with the less is more route. I know it’s not strictly on topic of where to buy the correct shoes, but I think it’s an important point all the same.

That book while being a good read to me is the scourge of existence in the modern running world much like the less is more runnersworld revolution of the 90s:D.

Much like ramping up your mileage too quickly will cause injury same can be said about less support. Most runners at the moment have been brought up with supported and cushioned shoes. You need to factor in weight, injury history, cultural background as well as many other factors before you can properly make judgement on whether it is more beneficial.

Question for people:

Name one elite runner who has run barefoot in the last 15 years? It may or may not be beneficial but you have to factor in upbringing which is why for 90% of people I believe this is not a good approach

People may disagree but I am yet to find a coach or sports therapist who i trust that has advocated this approach

Stupid question but what are racing flats?

Stupid question but what are racing flats?

These are basically lightweight trainers which are perfect for road racing

Possibly my favourites are among these

Brooks T5

Aasics Gel Piranha

• Advertisement

These are basically lightweight trainers which are perfect for road racing

Possibly my favourites are among these

Brooks T5

Aasics Gel Piranha

Can you wear those for racing? I normally wear structured runners for training and just wear them for any races too. I'm wearing Asics GT2160's at the moment but considering moving to the Adidas equivalent. I also need to get my weight down too.

Can you wear those for racing? I normally wear structured runners for training and just wear them for any races too. I'm wearing Asics GT2160's at the moment but considering moving to the Adidas equivalent. I also need to get my weight down too.

I have worn the Brooks T5s for races ranging from 5k - HM and never had any problem. The have discontinued that one but i think the T7s are the most up to date version. (again just personal opinion but I am huge fan of brooks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

G Money - you can get racing flats which still have a small amount of support - if you are injury free in the 2160's this is probably your best bet - example here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Can you wear those for racing? I normally wear structured runners for training and just wear them for any races too.

And you should continue doing that. Don't even think about racing shoes until you've lost a fair bit of weight, and you are running a lot further regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I have worn the Brooks T5s for races ranging from 5k - HM and never had any problem. The have discontinued that one but i think the T7s are the most up to date version. (again just personal opinion but I am huge fan of brooks)

Just to clarify the Brooks ST5 is the supportive racing flat and is still very much in existence.

The Brooks T7 it the super light neutral racing flat that Chrissie Wellington has been smashing records with.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jimbo21

i will have to go with ecoil on this one i aways use asics but i bought a pair of brooks t5s and now i used them for all my races

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Question for people:

Name one elite runner who has run barefoot in the last 15 years?
    Faith+Chepngetich+Kipyegon+IAAF+World+Cross+c3vrGT6GPfQl.jpg

Question for people:

Name one elite runner who has run barefoot in the last 15 years?
    Faith+Chepngetich+Kipyegon+IAAF+World+Cross+c3vrGT6GPfQl.jpg

Knew someone would mention the Africans, again I put this down to running history. Did they spend all their lives in supported shoes before switching? My point being that 90% have been trained from a very early age for our body to get used to supported shoes and now that many of us have reached full physical maturity by trying to change it you are going to take a few steps back for a good while before you take any steps forward. Basically for most of us it would be like starting running from scratch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Knew someone would mention the Africans, again I put this down to running history. Did they spend all their lives in supported shoes before switching? My point being that 90% have been trained from a very early age for our body to get used to supported shoes and now that many of us have reached full physical maturity by trying to change it you are going to take a few steps back for a good while before you take any steps forward. Basically for most of us it would be like starting running from scratch

Agree with you 100%.Still think people should be spending more time on running form/drills and supplementing soem barefoot running but very gradually.This means walking before you can run and when starting to run do it during their cool down or warm up.
    We also weigh alot more than A Kenyan ;)

Putting aside the risk of injury from suddenly swapping or swapping too quickly from normal running to barefoot running, is barefoot running really practical for most of us? No matter where I seem to run, I always see sharp stones, broken glass and who knows what else that would tear your feet to pieces if you were barefoot.

I guess if you were insistent, you could wear those barefoot style shoes, I forget their names now. I'm not planning a switch to barefoot running anytime soon, but it seems wholly impractical unless you are running on soft grass or trails that are free of any sort of sharp objects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

No matter where I seem to run, I always see sharp stones, broken glass and who knows what else that would tear your feet to pieces if you were barefoot.

Again, with the glass and stones. Maybe I am blessed but I still never see all of this glass and sharp stones that seem to be littering the streets. As I said before, digsh1te is the most frequent thing I have to avoid.
    I guess if you were insistent, you could wear those barefoot style shoes, I forget their names now. I'm not planning a switch to barefoot running anytime soon, but it seems wholly impractical unless you are running on soft grass or trails that are free of any sort of sharp objects.
    I would prefer to run barefoot on paths than on grass. At least on a path you can see the potentially dangerous object and avoid it. On grass it's much harder to see what you're stepping on. Having said that any barefooting I do, I do on a local gaelic pitch, which is pretty well maintained, so the grass is always short and the surface is pretty flat with no real divots.

I think the biggest danger when running barefoot on the street is that you look like a d1ck :D

Advertisement