Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A4 racing Sept 4th

• 02-09-2011 8:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

Anyone got details for racing on this day. Manwithaplan tells me there's one in Gorey. Details anyone?

Anything closer to home, home being Dublin. Figure there's not much left of the racing season so will give it one last hoorah and test the new bike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

August?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Presumably you mean Sept 4th. I didn't see any mention of A4s though EDIT:asleep

From irishcycling.com

Betty D'Arcy Memorial
    the Slipstream CC , Betty D'Arcy Memorial race on Sunday 4th Sept. will start at 12 noon in Gorey for the A2 & A3 combined race with a prize fund for the first six over the line 1st and 2nd unplaced A3 and first over the KOH on lap 2 and 3 of the four lap race (approx 100km). and in addition to what is on the calender for that day we will stage an A4 race too, over the same circuit with the prize fund for the first five over the line and the first rider over the KOH on lap 2 of a 3 lap race( approx 75 km ). The Race will start in Gorey at the Monument out to Craanford where it turns left and up the hill follows this road over to the village of Camolin turns left again and back into Gorey ( same as the Gorey 3 Day Sunday circuit). - Slipstream CC Sam D'Arcy 053 9480713

So basically stage 3 of the Gorey. You should have no problems finding a route map

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Mods - can you change thread title to Sept? Still half asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭LeoD

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Presumably you mean Sept 4th. I didn't see any mention of A4s though

From irishcycling.com

Betty D'Arcy Memorial
    the Slipstream CC , Betty D'Arcy Memorial race on Sunday 4th Sept. will start at 12 noon in Gorey for the A2 & A3 combined race with a prize fund for the first six over the line 1st and 2nd unplaced A3 and first over the KOH on lap 2 and 3 of the four lap race (approx 100km). and in addition to what is on the calender for that day we will stage an A4 race too, over the same circuit with the prize fund for the first five over the line and the first rider over the KOH on lap 2 of a 3 lap race( approx 75 km ). The Race will start in Gorey at the Monument out to Craanford where it turns left and up the hill follows this road over to the village of Camolin turns left again and back into Gorey ( same as the Gorey 3 Day Sunday circuit). - Slipstream CC Sam D'Arcy 053 9480713

So basically stage 3 of the Gorey. You should have no problems finding a route map

There is an A4 race...

LeoD wrote: »
    There is an A4 race...

Two of us asleep on the one thread :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think you are able to do it yourself. Edit the post and there should be an option in there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

subject to this damn headcold not getting any worst i hope to do this,it will bring the curtain down on my first season back in 20years ,i do hope their is an A4 race ?? and we are not mugged by the A1/2s after 20km or so,also it will give me a chance to have a look at part of the 3 day course as it will be a goal to ride it next year

subject to this damn headcold not getting any worst i hope to do this,it will bring the curtain down on my first season back in 20years ,i do hope their is an A4 race ?? and we are not mugged by the A1/2s after 20km or so,also it will give me a chance to have a look at part of the 3 day course as it will be a goal to ride it next year
    Best to ride with the A2s then, to get the full "Gorey experience" ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

My application for permission to do this has been approved. pprendeville and I will be travelling together - I hope him and his fancy new bike don't win anything so that we can get away in good time to see the hurling;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Hope to make this too especially after my other finale (dunlavin) was overridden by half a bottle of wine and 5 pints of delicious Belgian beer :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Good hard race for A4s at the Betty D'Arcy tomorrow. 3laps over the hill in Crannford should separate the men from th boys! 4laps for the A2/A3s. Anyone thinking of the Gorey 3day next season should ride. The 4lap race is stage 3 of the Gorey, the hard Sunday afternoon stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pgd-pgd

Are they doing 1 day licences . Not getting any answer from the number advertised on the Cycling Event Calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

yes 1 day licences should be available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Be carefull on the wet roads,forecast is for rain.

Be carefull on the wet roads,forecast is for rain.
    think we are all well use to wet roads at this stage .where is the singe on does any know ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Wet roads and A4s could lead to trouble,some A4's even manage to cause crashs on grippy dry roads!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

where is the singe on does any know ?

One of the links when I googled it was this which indicates Gorey Rugby club. Not 100% sure at all, but will head down and follow some other car with a bike rack. :)

Other than that info is fairly scarse. 3 laps ~75k. Good luck to those attending :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pgd-pgd

think we are all well use to wet roads at this stage .where is the singe on does any know ?

Did you mean sign on. Its at the Gorey Rugby Club again.

• Advertisement

Wet roads and A4s could lead to trouble,some A4's even manage to cause crashs on grippy dry roads!!
    I rode A4s last year, it was fine. I'm sure they will be able to handle the odd drop of rain tomorrow. BTW It's a good little circuit.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Well done to Damien Crowe of Dublin Wheelers and Manwithaplan of Swords CC on 3rd and 5th respectively. Got in a break and stayed clear. Damien had a bad fall in Dunlavin last week so fair play. MWAP seems to thrive in torrential conditions having won the club Champs in Monsoon like weather and conquering the WW200 in terrible conditions also.

On a personal note I blew up before KOH and had to dismount. Think all I managed to achieve was a new max HR. Delighted with new bike though. Long winter ahead what with college starting soon and family commitments. Not sure how I'll fit cycling in.

WAs also pleasure to meet Idleater and Jmadone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Well done to Damien Crowe of Dublin Wheelers and Manwithaplan of Swords CC on 3rd and 5th respectively. Got in a break and stayed clear. Damien had a bad fall in Dunlavin last week so fair play. MWAP seems to thrive in torrential conditions having won the club Champs in Monsoon like weather and conquering the WW200 in terrible conditions also.

On a personal note I blew up before KOH and had to dismount. Think all I managed to achieve was a new max HR. Delighted with new bike though. Long winter ahead what with college starting soon and family commitments. Not sure how I'll fit cycling in.

WAs also pleasure to meet Idleater and Jmadone.
    Good race, and nice to meet some of the lads. Puncture on start of 3rd lap put paid to my race. Pity as I felt good. Typical A4 race when I bridged across to the break on the first lap, the bunch chased for a few minutes caught us and just sat looking at each other.
    Like the bike Philip, had read a bit about it. Glad your pleased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Really enjoyed the race. I tried to drive the bunch to keep pprendeville near the front for his KOH effort. He gave it a right go but just lost out.

Towards the end of the second lap I saw two up the road and a couple more who seemed strong moving across. I joined them and we drove it really hard through the downpour. Damien Crowe bridged across later as did one or two others. We kept the pace high and worked really well together under the drill sergeant-like direction of a seriously strong vet from Waterford CC. We stayed away for the 30-35k to the end. I got fifth, which would probably not have improved even if I had managed to work out where the line was.

This was my second open race and my first A4-only one. Apparently successful breaks are unusual at A4, which is a pity because they're great fun.

Great to meet everyone and kudos to Damien Crowe who was sporting a bruise the size of a small child from his crash last week. A normal person would have packed it in for the year but you have to love the spacers you meet cycling.

Good day for the club. Killalanerr was to the fore of the bunch sprint and Laura Banfield was second lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Well done to all who survived the torrential downpours on lap 3&4!

Some photos here http://pix.ie/liamr/album/420753

Tough race as even before the rain, the head/cross winds must have been torture on the stretch after Crannford.

fu~k that was wet,but it was a good race i enjoyed it,i was feeling good and had a dig of the front early on but on lap 2 when MWAP and Phil wound it up fro the KOH i found it tough so i spent most of the rest of the lap recovering so i missed the brake,as the race went on i was feeling much better so on hill just after the tricky down hill section i had a right good dig and got to with in 200mtrs of the brake but no one came across to me and i ran out of steam and soon fell back into the clutches of the bunch,i still felt at this stage that the brake would come back i had one eye on the sprint but the bunch was very stop start and the brake was working very well, fair play to them for staying away,with all the pots gone the bunch sprint was a bit half hearted i finished about 5th in it,
    thats it for this year,all going well i hope to put in a good winter and hit the ground running (or cycling ;) ) in march
    it was nice to meet some of you off here well done to MWAP and Damien

• Registered Users Posts: 47 doedoe

That was me that got up for the win Sunday. Try to get in the break every week and it never works out due to either not having the legs or too few in the break. I went across with 25km to go and we had seven away for the last lap with everyone working their socks off right until the end.
    Fair play to Damien for riding he was sporting some serious bruising after a crash last week. I figured he was the strongest in the break and was on his wheel on the way in, he made a bit of a burst which got the speed up and I decided to go early with 150m left and just held on to the finish.
    i was happy to just stay away for a change but well done to all in the break, nice meeting a few of ye afterwards....
    Great circuit and was probably one of the best marshalled of the year, especially the motorbike riders they knew what they were doing and it felt much safer in the traffic with them alongside, well done Slipstream CC

Advertisement