Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ach was?

• 02-09-2011 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭

Just thought the sad departure of one of our finest comedians was deserving of a mention here...

For anyone not knowing who I'm talking about, the Guardian had a nice piece on him.

If you don't understand the genius this man was, this article might be worth a read...

To those that do understand: "Mein Name ist Lohse, ich kaufe hier ein!" :D

R.I.P., Loriot!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I was over last weekend and a Loriot box-set was produced. Tbh I wasn't overly interested, I am sure the man was good if you are born and bred German but I have to say some of the sketches I saw were funny (the German traffic warden sketch) and some I found were not in the least bit funny (the yodelling school).

As for Lohse... the 'sex talk' is the best.:pac:

RIP Loriot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Ah, come on prinz, Loriot is (was, sadly) exceptionally funny. But it's high-brow funny not low-brow or Stammtisch-funny.
    Stammtisch means, among other things, the lads who laugh about their own sexual, intellectuall or otherwise deficiencies.
    High-brow is about making fun of your own culture, which you have to understand in the first place.
    Loriot was kind of a refined John Cleese in German.

My all time favourite from Loriot is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayvXxADjACg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Carry wrote: »
    Ah, come on prinz, Loriot is (was, sadly) exceptionally funny. But it's high-brow funny not low-brow or Stammtisch-funny.

Ah come on now, the old noodle on the face sketch is hardly high-brow. :)
    Carry wrote: »
    High-brow is about making fun of your own culture, which you have to understand in the first place..

Since German isn't my culture I don't see the funny side of some of his stuff, but I accept that obviously the Germans do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Can't say I find Loriot funny either, my MiL and husband loved him, they'd be in tears with laughter at his sketches, whereas I'd be sitting there thinking, oh my God, get me out of here FAST!!!

But hey, each to their own and RIP Vicco - even if you weren't funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am German and never found him funny. Alas, RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I loved the 'Wum und Wendelin' cartoons, I had loads of them as toys when I was young.

R.I.P. Vicco

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Das ... Bild ... hängt .... schief

Advertisement