Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Bullies?

Options
  • 02-09-2011 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Like most people in Ireland, I have been affected by the recession - in fact, having business interests left with with personal debts of almost €1/2m. It's not like I'm flush.

Admittedly, in an effort to stop me losing my house, bills got put on the long finger including those like ESB and BG. This resulted in me owing almost 1000euro, which is now down to circa 600euro.

For quite some time, I've been paying off my debts which includes ESB at 10.00 a week. It's not a lot, granted, but it's more than the 7euro a week consumption.

Now here's where my gripe starts. ESB have been accepting my payment and aside from the odd periodic standard letter asking me to pay the arrears, have been fairly passive. Until last week.

I got a knock on the door from Networks to disconnect my supply. The guy, in fairness, said he'd leave it but I must contact ESB, which I did. The guy in Disconnections was the most unhelpful person you would wish to deal with. I explained my financial situation carefully to him but his response was 60% of 881euro(which was an estimated bill) or disconnection, and that I should not have let it get to this point!

So I sent the meeting reading to them (which in fact I did 6 weeks ago via text) and the bill was reduced by 200euro. But then I continue to get emails and phone calls demanding 60% or disconnection.

This is obviously concerning because how can my family including my six year old daughter expect to live without electricity?

Listen, I appreciate the fact I owe money. But ESB also have a part to play in this. For example, they were happy to let the bill get to that level, and, probably more importantly, if they had issue with my 10euro a week, they could have instigated a conversation months ago with me to get an agreement to pay more.

So is it fair now to put the noose on my neck? Pay a sum which is not a remote possibility for me, or be disconnected.

Anyone else experiencing this type of tactic from ESB?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

In fairness it was up to you to contact ESB to set a payment plan, you received letters from them requesting payment and you ignored them.

I'm not sure what you expect the ESB to do. If you won't pay your bill they are justified in withdrawing their service and I honestly can't understand your attitude in calling them bullies

ESB are not arbitarily withdrawing their service they are giving you a chance to keep your service active. The choice is up to you

We're all living in difficult times and we all have difficult choices to make

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Beeps

@Majormax - in fact, I didn't ignore the letters I responded to all of them setting out my financial situation and commitment to pay 10euro a week. That's why my account has gone down from 1000 to 600.

I agree with you that they are entitled to withdraw service, but they are asking me for a sum of money which is simply unrealistic - they know that because I've told them of my financial situation on many occasions.

Please note the ?mark. Electricity is a basic household utility. We're not talking about a luxury here!

Bearing in mind I have been in the same property as their customer since 1998, I think I have been a good loyal customer for them.

I am simply asking if other people are experiencing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Let me see if I got this straight. You owed €1000 and decided to pay €10 per week - taking 2 years to clear the debt! Then you say you have €7 weekly consumption; implying you are only paying €3 towards the debt. Hardly realistic either way. You left this matter far too long by the sounds of it.
    I have always found Electric Ireland excellent at making payment arrangements (I do some charity work with people in financial difficulty). You are being unfair in referring to them as bullies, in my opinion. You actually mention that they were passive towards your debt until now (so you didn't do too much to clear it). They still wrote to you about the arrears and you just continued at the small payment you were making.
    They have to draw the line sometime. Business has to continue and we'll all pay the price for your slow payment in the end.

(Oh and 1998 is only 13 years ago - you make it sound like decades. I'm with them over 30 years)

@Sraneem, If you read the original posting carefully, you might guess that ESB are not my only concern. I'm paying a tenner a week because I'm having to divvy up a very small cake to a very big table!

[QUOTE=Beeps;74171493If you read the original posting carefully, you might guess that ESB are not my only concern. I'm paying a tenner a week because I'm having to divvy up a very small cake to a very big table!.[/QUOTE]

Priorities! Mortgage - Utilities - Food.........

• Advertisement

Exactly - precisely, as small as it may seem, why they're getting a slice of that cake.

More like crumbs. :p

Whether it looks like crumbs or a slice, depends on the size of the cake. Believe me when I say, I wish it was much bigger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

[QUOTE=Beeps;74170517
    Electricity is a basic household utility. We're not talking about a luxury here!

[/QUOTE]

no your right it is not a luxury , its a necessity , and should therefore be treated as a priority along with mortgage and food ,

we have to get away from this thing of buying/having unnessecary materials when wher in the most difficult of situations ,
    so folks in difficulty , would have to and should look at what else they spend their money on , the likes of Cigs, sky TV, Mobile phone's etc , these are not necessities, but some people treat them more serious that their actual serious bill's ....................................not having a good at you Beeps in particular , but when it comes to managing debt , we all need to take a look in the mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I think you should pay a visit to MABS if it is a thing that you cannot meet the ESB demand for the 60% clearance of arrears. Sometimes with them as a mediator you might get a sniff more leaway but not much. Times are tough but one thing is clear that you can reduce payments to a company and you can negotiate payments but NEVER stop payments altogether, bother only follows.

• Advertisement

@careca11 - you're completely right. If this exercise has taught me anything, it's how to tighten the belt and look for the bargains. From a personal perspective, I don't smoke or drink, now have my mobile on prepay (and hardly use it), no TV, and running is now my hobby. It's necessities all the way.

@Plazaman - thanks for your comment - I have already been in touch with them.

Advertisement