Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Girl [Fox - Spoilers]

1141516171820»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They don't seem to be able to juggle all the characters at once. Winston is now finally a good character but Nick and Schmidt have gotten weaker. They either don't know how to use CeCe or she's just not a natural comedian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

They don't seem to be able to juggle all the characters at once. Winston is now finally a good character but Nick and Schmidt have gotten weaker. They either don't know how to use CeCe or she's just not a natural comedian.
    Interesting - I actually thought CeCe/Winston combo was some of the funnier stuff this season!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think CeCe works better ATM when paired up with anyone who isn't Schmidt; that particular combo has slipped into the standard set of sitcom wedding-planning tropes so there's little potential there. As said, her team-ups with Winston have been pretty great: then it's some 'classic CeCe-and-Winston mess around'! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

i'm still liking it. Winston being a cop and his interactions with the two partners he has had has been funny. Schmidt still has some brilliant lines and interactions too. I do miss Coach though.

Coach just turned up, impersonating a cop on Brooklyn 9-9, if Winston hears about this :D(on E4 tonite)
    Basq wrote: »
    Just caught up with the latest episode now..

.. this series has become unwatchable! :(

It's a bit hit & miss, not as much a laff riot as it used to be, i suppose after 5 seasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Well myself and the OH have officially given up on the show. its jsut gone that awful it really is unwatchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

One of my major problems with sitcoms is when they take a character, in this case Schmidt, who was a great character in the first 2 seasons and they take one of the most funny elements of his character, the fact he's a single, kind of sleazy ladies man and then they put him in a relationship :confused: Same thing with Howard in the Big Bang Theory and I'm sure there are multiple other examples.

I know some people will disagree with me on this but I don't want character development in my sitcoms, I just want them to be funny first and foremost and these changes are taking away one of the elements that made these shows so funny in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

irish son wrote: »
    One of my major problems with sitcoms is when they take a character, in this case Schmidt, who was a great character in the first 2 seasons and they take one of the most funny elements of his character, the fact he's a single, kind of sleazy ladies man and then they put him in a relationship :confused: Same thing with Howard in the Big Bang Theory and I'm sure there are multiple other examples.

I know some people will disagree with me on this but I don't want character development in my sitcoms, I just want them to be funny first and foremost and these changes are taking away one of the elements that made these shows so funny in the first place.

You can't not have some form of character developmnent if the humans within the script are even vaguely self aware or vulnerable, emotional beings. There are only so many you can hit a guy with a pie to the face before you have to make him start avoiding the pies. Otherwise it's just a cartoon.

You say you don't want development, but it's everywhere in some forms or another, and the shows that go the most stale and tedious are usually those that steadfast refuse to let its casts grow or change (step forward Modern Family for instance). Heck even the most sitcomy of sitcoms like Big Bang Theory has let it's characters develop. I think what you're objecting is that you just don't like this particular development.

Personally, I hate the sleazy types on sitcoms, and Schmidts appeal was more about his blatant hen pecking and high maintenance, coupled with his mothering of Nick. The CeCe plot has neutered him entirely and that kinda sucks, but I like how the show has otherwise gently nudged its characters forward towards some form of growth and emotional maturity.

Characters can develop without the dull predictability of loving relationships and emotional maturity.

On rhe orher hand, none of Seinfeld's characters ever really developed and the show didn't really go stale at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What channel is the new series on?

• Advertisement

Characters can develop without the dull predictability of loving relationships and emotional maturity.

On the other hand, none of Seinfeld's characters ever really developed and the show didn't really go stale at all.

I feared the worse when George was getting married to Susan, but that was dealt with in a funny way, still remembered to this day ;)
    Jerry always had something wrong with each woman he saw, like 'manhands' :D

Elaine's 'Spongeability', don't ask :D

Kramer - he'll always be The Assman :cool:
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What channel is the new series on?

RTE 2 - Thursday@9 - ep4 afaik

I feared the worse when George was getting married to Susan, but that was dealt with in a funny way, still remembered to this day ;)
    Jerry always had something wrong with each woman he saw, like 'manhands' :D

Elaine's 'Spongeability', don't ask :D

Kramer - he'll always be The Assman :cool:

RTE 2 - Thursday@9 - ep4 afaik

Ah feck. Saw it advertised on rte and assumed it was an old one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Do people actually "develop" in real life? People always end up the way they started out. No one ever changes. They think they do but they don't. If you're the depressed type now that's the way you'll always be. If you're the mindless happy type now, that's the way you'll be when you grow up. You might lose some weight, your face may clear up, get a body tan, breast enlargement, a sex change, it makes no difference. Essentially, from in front, from behind. Whether you're 13 or 50, you will always be the same.

I, too, liked Schmidt the way he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I haven't got to the Megan Fox episodes yet, but i heard it was a ratings hit, until Deschanel came back :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I haven't got to the Megan Fox episodes yet, but i heard it was a ratings hit, until Deschanel came back :P

Megan Fox definitely bounced off the rest of the cast a lot better than Deschanel ever has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

My god ep 15 was the worst of the season..

Winstons new girlfriend was just stupid with the pranks

My god ep 15 was the worst of the season..

Winstons new girlfriend was just stupid with the pranks
    ... isn't that the point? Anyone who watches the show should be aware that the whole joke is a reference to how awful Winston is at pranks; Sasha Rhonda is just as bad as Winston - which is evidenced by her leaving $300 as a prank at lunch.

This week's episodes were brilliant. Nicely dovetailed and they played off each other really well.

Also, proof that Jess is actually hilarious when given the material and that her boyfriend stories are the real Achilles heel of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

This week's episodes were brilliant. Nicely dovetailed and they played off each other really well.

Also, proof that Jess is actually hilarious when given the material and that her boyfriend stories are the real Achilles heel of the show.

Yeah agree with this. I actually thought Jess and CeCe's episode was stronger than the Nick, Winston, Schmidt one - which was surprising.

• Advertisement

Glad to hear this. Megan Fox fits in really well with the rest of the cast.

8 episodes should be enough to close out all the stories. Season 7 definitely felt like the end of the road anyway . Hopefully Deschenal doesn't get pregnant AGAIN, cos playing 'spot the bump' behind all those strategically placed cushions got a bit distracting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The death of the thread over the last few months says a lot...

.. watched most of last year, but it's well past it's prime.

I thought it was consistently great this season and I would've been happy with the ending we got, but since it's coming back I think 8 episodes just to wrap things up and give everyone a send off is a great idea rather than drag it out just for the sake of filling 22 episodes.

Basq wrote: »
    The death of the thread over the last few months says a lot...

.. watched most of last year, but it's well past it's prime.

I dunno, I think 6 seasons into any show it becomes a bit of a staple & a little harder to chat about ad-hoc. And while I wouldn't have said season 6 was New Girl at its peak, it was still frequently very funny. I never thought the Megan Fox plot line worked though, definitely felt like the first major misstep & so at least the show is bowing out now before those kind of missteps become more commonplace.

I'm still enjoying the show tbh - I think the supporting cast has really come into their own this season for example - so I'm sad to see it ending, but glad we're going to get a proper ending.

Series finale tonight featuring an eviction

Series finale tonight featuring an eviction

What channel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What a prank! :D

The show ended on a decent high; not too schmaltzy, with plenty of funny moments throughout. Taking 8 episodes to wrap things up was a good idea. And letting Winston have the last laugh was pretty genius; the man has the best bad pranks :D

The cast are uniting for 10th anniversary

Advertisement