Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Special Protection Area Mt. Callan

• 02-09-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

I wonder what the position is with this now that the 29 turbine wind farm has been given the go-ahead by An Bord Pleanala? Just waiting now for yet another threat from the EU to the gov't about habitat destruction (Hen Harriers etc)! They may not have been bothered in the Celtic Tiger when they may have thought that they could have paid the massive fines which can be imposed. It's a different story now though (no money in the kitty)!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

<Snip>
    I have yet to understand how a harrier that can see a mouse from 70 m in the air cannot see a turbine blade. Maybe they are Japanese harriers who still don't know that the war ended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

MOSSAD wrote: »
    Tell me, how do you make a living? Obviously not from farming the land around west Clare.
    I have yet to understand how a harrier that can see a mouse from 70 m in the air cannot see a turbine blade. Maybe they are Japanese harriers who still don't know that the war ended?

See para3:

PROPOSAL TO DESIGNATE AS THE PREFERRED AREA FOR WIND FARMS
    THE SPECIAL PROTECTION AREA (SPA) - (Site Code 004161)
    Stack’s to Mullaghareirk Mountains, West Limerick Hill and Mount Eagle SPA (Co. Kerry)

Wind Energy - Preferred Areas “These are areas that are suitable for windfarm development and the granting of planning permission will be favourably considered unless specific local planning circumstances within the context of the development plan deem otherwise. This category is applied to areas with the lowest sensitivity to wind development”. Extract from Draft Development Plan 7.4.8

THE ONLY AREA DESIGNATED AS PREFERRED IS THE HEN HARRIER SPA!

1. The European Commission is “ aware that there are environmental risks from the inappropriate location of wind farms and that wind energy development should be carried out in a sustainable and balanced way that does not lead to significant damage to sensitive areas of conservation importance, including Special Protection Areas (SPA’s) designated under the Birds Directive (79/409/EEC).

Any development likely to have a significant adverse effect on these areas must be subject to an appropriate environmental assessment, defined under Article 6 of the Habitats Directive.”
    (Extract taken from letter from European Commission dated 24th July 2008)

1a. The Habitats Directive introduces for the first time, for protected areas, the precautionary principle; that is that projects can only be permitted having ascertained NO adverse effect on the integrity of the site. Projects may still be permitted if there are no alternatives and there are imperative reasons of overriding public interest

1b. In the case of the Draft Development Plan the Council have already demonstrated that there are alternatives to the Hen Harrier SPA by designating areas on Map 6.1a as “Open to Consideration”.

2. Appropriate Assessment of Land Use Plans

2a. Attached is a copy of Circular Letter SEA 1/08 & NPWS 1/08 sent by Assistant Principal Peter Carvill of Environment, Heritage and Local Government to all County and City Managers, Directors of Services for Planning, Town Clerks and dated 15th February 2008. (prior to the Councils’ production of the Draft Development Plan)

2b. This four Page document was produced in response to the recent ruling against Ireland in Case 418/04 EC Commission v Ireland.
    It presents an “Overview of Court Findings” then goes on to address the following;
    i) Appropriate Assessment of Land Use Plans
    ii) Screening for possible Impacts
    iii) What is an appropriate assessment?
    iv) Role of the Department (NPWS)
    v) Co-ordination with Strategic Environmental Assessment.
    vi) Incorporation of outcomes of appropriate assessment.
    vii) Implications of a negative or inconclusive assessment.
    viii) Transitional measures
    ix) Further Guidance.

2c. The section dealing with Transitional Measures clearly states that Planning Authorities should apply the procedures detailed in the document in advance of adopting any draft plan or amendment published after the 15th February 2008.

The document goes on to say that “while it may not be possible to carry out a full appropriate assessment in the case of any draft plan or amendment published prior to the issue of this circular but not yet adopted, planning authorities should review the policies and provisions of such a draft plan or amendment and where necessary not adopt any part of such a plan where a significant impact on a Natura 2000 site is likely.
    Planning authorities must take particular care to avoid zoning for development any area where the types of development permitted under the zoning could have a significant effect on the conservation objectives of a Natura 2000 site.”

2. Wind Farms Damage the Integrity of a SPA by:

2a. Reducing the overall size of the SPA . In the Commission v. Germany (Case C-57/89). The Court held that while Article 4(1) of the Birds Directive afforded a degree of discretion to Member States in selecting the “the most suitable territories in number and size as Special Protection Areas” once designated, any further discretion to reduce the SPA in size was extremely limited.

2b. The Hen Harrier Spa already had a number of Wind Farms within its designated area and also has further Wind Farms, with Planning Permission granted prior to selection as a SPA, due to be constructed.

2c. The cumulative effect of the erection of these already approved wind farms will have the effect of reducing the size of this SPA. The granting of further permissions for Wind Farms within this Special Protection Area would be contrary to European legislation.

2d. The preparation and erection of Wind Farms has a devastating effect on the area being developed and impacts very seriously on adjacent areas. Once sites have been completed they continue to compromise the integrity of the SPA’s as they attract amongst others, Boy Racers, Learner Drivers & Dog Walkers plus the ongoing attendance at the site of engineers, maintenance & security personnel.

2e. The recent landslip within the SPA in North Kerry is believed be a direct result of the work being carried out to construct a Wind Farm. The ecological disaster created by this landslip is likely to have a long term effect on the flora and fauna within the area and as such may make the area unsuitable for use by the Hen Harrier. The permission for this Wind Farm within the SPA was granted prior to designation. A substantial amount of the SPA comprises of unplanted Blanket Bog and the construction of Wind Farms within these areas coupled with the anticipated climate changes would be likely to result in further ecological disasters.

As previously stated where there is any doubt as to whether a development will impact adversely on a SPA the precautionary principle shall be applied.

3. Hen Harrier Mortalities caused by Turbines.

3a. Hen Harriers are killed by Wind Turbines. However as it is not viable for an unbiased inspector to monitor every Turbine on a daily basis, we can only speculate as to how many deaths are likely to be attributable to Wind Turbines. Were it possible to monitor all Turbines it is likely that foxes would remove some if not most carcasses before they could be recorded.

The following is an extract from a Newspaper report:

Hen Harrier killed at Irish Windfarm - 22nd August 2007
    Following the report of the Red Kite 'strike' at Braes of Doune a communication was received from Don Scott from Northern Ireland. Don is known to many for his work on Hen Harriers and will shortly be publishing a book on Harriers of the World (watch these news pages for details). As in most of Scotland, turbines at windfarms in Northern Ireland do not require to be systematically checked for 'strikes'. On his own initiative Don monitored a windfarm in County Antrim for casualties. Harriers had previously bred on moorland near the windfarm but deserted it in favour of nearby forestry following the erection of the turbines. During visits to the area since 2005 Don has found 8 Hooded Crows and 6 Ravens which had obviously been hit by turbine blades. During an early morning visit on 13.1.07 Don found the desiccated remains of an adult male Hen Harrier below one of the turbines. Its right wing had been completely sheared off and lay approx 4m from the body. Don stated he had heard representatives from several windfarm companies stating that windfarms are completely safe for Harriers. After his horrific find Don would clearly beg to differ and he suggests his find may be just the tip of the iceberg.
    Don can be contacted by email at theowlman46@hotmail.com

3b Last year a Hen Harrier was reported killed by a Turbine in Scotland.

4. Species Noted in the Site Synopsis for for SPA Site Code: 004161

4a. The synopsis identifies the above SPA as a “..stronghold for the Hen Harrier as it supports the largest concentration of the species in the country….” This SPA is considered to be one of the top two sites within the country for the Hen Harrier.

4b. The Short Eared Owl, also listed on Annex 1 of the EU Birds Directive and very rare in Ireland, has been known to breed within this site.

4c. Merlin, a further EU Birds Directive Annex 1 species, also breeds within the SPA

4d. Red Grouse a Red Listed species is to be found within the SPA.

5. Other Species Found within the site which are either Listed or of Conservation interest.

5a. Curlew, Skylark, Kingfisher, Barn Owl & Peregrine. Golden Plover pass thru.

5b. Otter, Badger, Pine Marten & Red Squirrel are to be found within the SPA.

5c. All species of Bats are protected many of which can be found within the SPA.
    There are 4 identified roosts of Lesser Horseshoe Bats located within 10 kilometers of Mount Eagle. Ireland is required to carry out monitoring of the Bat population.
    Further information may be obtained from Dr. Tina Aughty of the Bat Conservation Trust.

6. Vibroaccoustic Disease and Ground Nesting Species.

6a. Vibroaccoustic disease (VAD) is a whole-body, systemic pathology, characterized by the
    abnormal proliferation of extra-cellular matrices, and caused by excessive exposure to low
    frequency noise (LFN). Wind Turbines emit Low Frequency Noise and the research undertaken by N. A. A. Castelo Branco1 and, M. Alves-Pereira2 of the University of Lisbon shows that LFN can have a detrimental effect on rats and mice as well as humans. It therefore follows that the LFN emitted by wind turbines has the potential to impact on ground nesting species such as the Hen Harrier. Not only may it prove damaging to the mature birds LFN may indeed compromise the viability of eggs or young of such species. Accordingly the “precautionary principle” should be implemented and Wind Turbines should not be located in SPA’s.

6a(i) In LFN exposed animal models, insight into dose responses has already been obtained (Castelo Branco et al., 2003c). In Wistar rats exposed to continuous LFN for 48 hours, and then kept in silence for up to 7 days, tracheal epithelia of exposed and controls only became indistinguishable after 7 days of post-exposure silence (Castelo Branco et al., 2003c, 2003f).
    Wistar rats that were gestated and born in LFN, and subsequently kept silence for one year, still
    exhibited visible and dramatic damage of respiratory epithelia after the year in silence
    (Castelo Branco et al., 2003c, 2003g).

7. TO CONCLUDE

In early March I was informed that “a tacit agreement had been brokered whereby farmers would not shoot Hen Harriers and in return they would be given Wind Farms”. I am unable to substantiate this statement as I gave my word I would not name the person who repeated it to me. Prior to Kerry County Council’s production of the Draft Development Plan, I repeated this allegation to an ndividual within the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government (who can if necessary be named). The decision by Kerry County Council to designates the Hen Harrier Spa as the Preferred Area for Wind Farms could be seen as lending credence to the allegation.

Should the Council fail to amend this part of the Draft Plan they will have given the green light to Wind Farm Developers. The likely result being that Kerry will be responsible for Ireland once more ending up in the European Courts.

ATTACHED COPY OF LETTER FROM ENVIRONMENT, HERITAGE & LOCAL GOVERNMENT DATED that has been referred to above.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If you have a problem with a post either report it or start a debate on it, don't attack a poster.

It is evident from the documentation that there is a huge number of people whose livelihoods depend on conservation, report writing and investigation. Without these designations they are at a disadvantage.
    Secone, what "ecological disaster" in Kerry? Was the UN involved? Implicit in your description is that disturbance of any ecosystem that might disturb either the flora or fauna will qualify as an "ecological disaster". Think of all the plants destroyed and the invertebrate life destroyed by the construction of just one house, not to mention a housing estate.
    Interestingly, your documents point out that the harriers abandoned the windfarm site in favour of nearby forestry. That is wonderful to hear, yet in other posts it's clear you place no value on forestry. There is no mention either of the decline in birds such as grouse on the heather hills of west Clare, because of restrictions on burning which kept the hills clean and allowes for repeated new growth of heather.
    And again, remember the irish landacape is predominantly manmade, and consequently the flora and fauna which has developed since we began to work the land is a direct result of this.
    There is a middle way on all of this-but first and foremost, I place more value on people than on hen harriers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Figerty

MOSSAD,

I like your sense of humour! But I would also argue that the Mount Callan area is already damaged by the plantations of high yield-low grade Sitka Spruce that is going to give the low grade timber in the future. I know you have strong views on this.

I disagree with you on the Hen Harrier..to me it's only the tip of the iceberg, what comes next,, need to put a wind turbine where a ringfort is...bulldose it out of the way in the name of progress and the needs of the community? I think this small bird is the white line that may or may not be crossed.

However I do believe there has to be a way forward, and I also agree with you that there are too many people depending on the the paper trail generated for an livelyhood. Wasn't there one offical in the Dept. of Ag for each farmer at one stage (or something on that scale)

I do also believe that local communities all along west clare are not making the most of what they have at their doorstep.

<Snip>

• Advertisement

Thanks for the endorsement- was expecting to get the crap kicked out of me!
    First correction-the spruce is high yielding high value- Robert Tottenham showed me the stress test results from his timber back in the 1980s. Also much irish coniferous timber is being exported to Europe, and they demand good quality.
    With respect to the local communities underutilising the potential of their property, one only has to take the car ferry from Killimer to Tarbert and back again to see how the Kerry people market their county for tourism , whether it's neat farmyards or clean fencing, whereas back in Clare it's fields of rushes, dereliction and generally a slovenly appearance-I'm a Clareman so I say it as I see it.
    There is currently a plan to make a "wildlife park" stretching from Moy to the Kilmaley/Kilnamona border to south of Lisseycasey. It will ban wind power, severely curtail forestry and curtail certain farming practices. I wonder if the bright spark, pensioned and benchmarked, who has conconcted this harebrained plan has thought how thousands of people are going to live on their land? Perhaps we need to don the old bainin or petticoat and hang over the half-door?
    Bottom line is people have to make a living, it's their property, but it must be remembered that people will not spoil their own doorstep-it just does not make sense for them to do that. Also, my own experience is that alot of what is being proposed by self-styled environmentalists is patently wrong, and not representative of what actually happens on the ground.
    Indeed, there must be compromise, and the paternalisitc attitude of those who think they know the best way for us to live will never be accepted.
    Finally, if someone feels so passionatley about a view or a bog, make an offer and buy it for the nation.
    ps I certainly don't endorse the destruction of any national monument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Only in Ireland can you find 'environmentalists' who are promoting coal burning and using fossil fuels.

Birds are smart enough to stay out of the way of what is essentially a big windmill. If they aren't, then do we really need such a stupid species anyway?

CptSternn wrote: »
    Birds are smart enough to stay out of the way of what is essentially a big windmill. If they aren't, then do we really need such a stupid species anyway?
    Good point- perhaps the odd bird getting a whack of a blade might actually be helping to speed up the evolution of a more adaptable species...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

'MOSSAD' - "self-styled environmentalists" - am I to take it that you are a self styled anti-environmentalist?

No just an environmentalist, with a sound science background in several areas, and much practical experience. I can give you several Parks and wildlife initiatives/regulations which are impractical and actually defeat the purpose for which they were introduced.
    And again, the rights of people to make a living from their property, within reason, is very important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

It still sounds suspect. In the states you have oil companies that do this sort of thing in efforts to maintain their market share. There are even 'conservation' groups comprised of hunters who 'fight' for animal rights but by that they actually mean the right to shoot the animals they are trying to 'conserve'. The 'clean air act' that many 'environmental groups' fought for there actually raised the amount of pollution companies could spew into the environment. The 'clean water act' did the same for rivers. Now there is not one single river in America that you can catch and eat fish from due to high levels of toxins, thanks to the 'clean water act'.

Seems like Orwellian double speak to me.

Save the planet! Burn more coal! Since I am an environmentalist, you can't argue with my point here!

Companies have found going green is popular and has mass appeal. They merely create groups of 'environmentalists' throw in some dodgy science, and then continue on with their plans to wreck the environment under the guise of saving it. When you see people arguing against moving the country forward with renewable green sources on the grounds of 'environmental concerns', it always seems a bit shady.

Especially since in Mayo right now the whole Shell ordeal. They are running a pipeline and building a refinery in the middle of a protected area. The planning board, the government, and the council have no problem with this even though dozens of actual conservation groups from around the globe have written multiple documents about how bad this is. Then you see someone saying something about a birds nesting zone in the context of wind turbines and all of a sudden everyone takes issue with it and puts the brakes on.

The one thing all of these issues have in common is they all slant in favour of big oil companies.

As I said, all a bit suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Figerty

Jays Mossad, don't take it as a ringing endorsment it its not. I would like to acknowledge the fact that you have a valid point of view.

Robert Tottenham in the 70-80's planted Sitka Spruce which had a very High yield class. I have the report. The problem is the headline was that it was the fastest growing Sitka in Europe. Why was this a problem, because this became the basis for misguided planting strategy in the country along with Studies in Camolin and some other forestries.

The problem is that the growth rate was so high that it fails any qualitative test. Above Yield class 24 is basically paper pulp, fibre particle material only. Virtually no Irish Sitka spruces is suited to structural use. It barely and I mean barely makes it into the bottom strength classification and that is the slowest growing of Irish spruce. The knots size is too large, the spiral grain is too great leading to other problems. The density is too low due to ring size. Put simply it grows to fast, has to much water in it. Also it is nearly impossible to put preservative into it to a significant level.

I'll give you an example, the old British standard measure was how many rings per inch exist starting at 2 (or 3 can't remember) from the pith.

Irish spruce will typically have 2.5 rings per inch. The minimum acceptable was 3.5. Scandinavian trees can have 8 rings per inch. Our spruce is basically a sponge and rubbish for all but paper or MDF etc. Currenttly there is a push on a 'new variety' of Sitka. More rubbish.

The reason I bring this up is this. If the policy makers who push masses of plantations of spruce and other species got that wrong.. are they wrong on the benefits of Wind power when you strip out the grants, tax write offs, installation costs and removal at end of life.

I think you are right about the bird sanctuary. It's a red herring to prevent development.

Thanks for the endorsement- was expecting to get the crap kicked out of me!
    First correction-the spruce is high yielding high value- Robert Tottenham showed me the stress test results from his timber back in the 1980s. Also much irish coniferous timber is being exported to Europe, and they demand good quality.
    With respect to the local communities underutilising the potential of their property, one only has to take the car ferry from Killimer to Tarbert and back again to see how the Kerry people market their county for tourism , whether it's neat farmyards or clean fencing, whereas back in Clare it's fields of rushes, dereliction and generally a slovenly appearance-I'm a Clareman so I say it as I see it.
    There is currently a plan to make a "wildlife park" stretching from Moy to the Kilmaley/Kilnamona border to south of Lisseycasey. It will ban wind power, severely curtail forestry and curtail certain farming practices. I wonder if the bright spark, pensioned and benchmarked, who has conconcted this harebrained plan has thought how thousands of people are going to live on their land? Perhaps we need to don the old bainin or petticoat and hang over the half-door?
    Bottom line is people have to make a living, it's their property, but it must be remembered that people will not spoil their own doorstep-it just does not make sense for them to do that. Also, my own experience is that alot of what is being proposed by self-styled environmentalists is patently wrong, and not representative of what actually happens on the ground.
    Indeed, there must be compromise, and the paternalisitc attitude of those who think they know the best way for us to live will never be accepted.
    Finally, if someone feels so passionatley about a view or a bog, make an offer and buy it for the nation.
    ps I certainly don't endorse the destruction of any national monument.

Advertisement