Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking advantage

Options
  • 02-09-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

My girlfriend was working for a company here in Dublin but after a while it became obvious that she wasnt going to get a contract. The company director claimed that she could register her but then she would have to take over half of her wages in tax (my girlfriend is not irish and so was naive to taxation). She still asked for a contract however but one never arrived. I told her to leave the job and she proceeded to do so. She did everything properly, handed in a letter gave notice etc (I do not believe she needed to do this as she was not under contract).

So she worked her notice and when she collected ehr final wages for the 2 weeks there was €200 deducted - because apparently this is Irish law!

My question is, has anybody ever heard of this crazy law because I cannot locate it? And secondly how could such a law apply to a person with no contract? In my oopinion this company has robbed her of her time and money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

honestly I would have to see the wage slip to see how or where they are deducting the money from

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

jv2000 wrote: »
    My girlfriend was working for a company here in Dublin but after a while it became obvious that she wasnt going to get a contract. The company director claimed that she could register her but then she would have to take over half of her wages in tax (my girlfriend is not irish and so was naive to taxation). She still asked for a contract however but one never arrived. I told her to leave the job and she proceeded to do so. She did everything properly, handed in a letter gave notice etc (I do not believe she needed to do this as she was not under contract).

So she worked her notice and when she collected ehr final wages for the 2 weeks there was €200 deducted - because apparently this is Irish law!

My question is, has anybody ever heard of this crazy law because I cannot locate it? And secondly how could such a law apply to a person with no contract? In my oopinion this company has robbed her of her time and money.

Problem here is that without a contract, there's not alot you can do. :( sorry OP, that really sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Report them to the tax authorities?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

As gerrycollins said, you'd need to examine the payslip. Is there a chance that emergency tax was deducted?

There is assumed to be a contract in place, even if one has not been signed. However, payslips and a written statement of terms of employment must be provided - and that's your first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd suggest that she visits Citizen's Information: a phone call from them to the employer might explain things, or get her properly paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jv2000

Hi all, thanks for your advice. I suspect that as mentioned the fact she didn't have a contract does hinder her in getting any money owed.... it's her word versus theirs. But reporting the company to the tax office is always an option ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Hi all, thanks for your advice. I suspect that as mentioned the fact she didn't have a contract does hinder her in getting any money owed.... it's her word versus theirs. But reporting the company to the tax office is always an option ;)

reporting them to NERA would be a lot more effictive

Advertisement