Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**Spoilers** Series 6, Episode 9 - "Night Terrors"

• 02-09-2011 2:04pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Been a while since I did this! So apparently Saturday's episode is arc-free & mostly a standalone adventure. Must say that'll make a nice change to watch a "normal" Doctor Who story with no over-arcing plotlines or hangups.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As long as it's a good one... the problem I have with the stand-alones (despite the excellent Girl in the Fireplace being the episode that got me into the series in the first place) is that the standard tends to be awful (Victory of the Daleks, The Lodger, lots of RTD stand-alones so bad I can't even remember them etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Doctor Who does
    OCD
    !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Well that doll is disturbing, wheres the clown I wonder....

Giant termites trying to get on
    the property ladder

Holy ****!! :eek:

• Advertisement

What was the chant at the end? Dadadada even for the doctor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

'Back together, in the flesh', anyone else catch that? Is there something being hinted at here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

allanb49 wrote: »
    What was the chant at the end? Dadadada even for the doctor
    It was something like "Tick tock, time stops, even for the Doctor"

Not a bad old episode, a nice bit of relief from the arc stories

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

"Tick tock goes the clock
    Even for The Doctor"

"Are you my Mummy?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Enjoyed that, a child who can make their irrational fears come to life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I liked it, quite Eastenders meets Who (again, but this time it's watchable). I got unexpected goosebumps when Alex fought through the dolls toward the
    end. The bits with the Doctor and the Bin Lady was cute too. Rory and Amy continue to be one of my favorite pairings ever, bringing very old-Who sensibilities up-to-date with sharp dialogue and heavy irony. Good times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

one of the better standalone stories. Creepy as hell, definitely gattiss' darkest episode for who yet, and leaps & bounds ahead of the awful Victory of the Daleks he wrote last year. The dollhouse was straight of a proper horror story, props there. Who always worked best when it made the normal things in life terrifying. Even the housing estate seemed like something perverse and creepy, made me shiver.

Having said that, we were given no explanation of how the cupboard had this power in the first place. Yes, I got the space-cookoo thing, that came together nicely. But what was the cupboard that it could do that to the estate / people? Gattiss has a tendency to write quite loosely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The kid did it, with it's own powers which the parents could not have factored in when they started with the construct of putting the things that scared him in there. We do this with kids until they reach a rational age and then we show them what is they are afraid and what is making the noises of as part of them facing their fears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I quite liked it. Especially after the 'you have to watch it twice' event that was last weeks episode.

The kids enjoyed it too. They really love an excuse to hide behind their teddy bears :D

A lot of the stand alone episodes can be poor but there are ones that do stand out. Girl in the fireplace has already been mentioned. I will always include Blink as a standalone despite the further episodes featuring the Angels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Liked it. Simple, creepy, sweet episode. Much better than Gatiss's "Victory of the daleks" and "Lazarus experiment" thrash. Or "Fear Her" for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Didn't like it, I was bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

Aldebaran wrote: »
    'Back together, in the flesh', anyone else catch that? Is there something being hinted at here?
    I took it as a reference to Amy being turned into a wooden doll.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd an average reaction to this. The Dr. putting the father at somewhat ease & the camerawork was good. The interaction between Rory and Amy, a tad wooden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Aldebaran wrote: »
    Yes, but not anymore, IMO

This episode was originally supposed to be in the first half of the series, but was moved around and replaced by The Doctor's Wife. So I imagine it was a reference to Amy being Flesh, but since it fitted the story anyway they didn't bother taking it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Manach wrote: »
    I'd an average reaction to this. The Dr. putting the father at somewhat ease & the camerawork was good. The interaction between Rory and Amy, a tad wooden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Fantastic episode.

Nice dash of suspense, couple of "Those dolls are scariest fkcin thing ever created" moments, nice bits of humour. And what seemed like a couple of hints at future plots (The kids song at the end).

Proper Doctor Who episode. Perfect filler and not too self-involved like so many past episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I also got funny looks from people when I was happily sitting watching whilst eating some Jammy Dodgers, and then the Doctor asked for some.

I should probably stop eating them when I watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Mr E wrote: »
    Didn't like it, I was bored.

I tend to agree. It annoyed me also that the reason for the kid alien thing being there wasn't really explained very well at all, or HOW he managed to create the unconscious crap in his cupboard.

I was very... very bored. Didn't seem like Doctor Who at all to me to be honest... 'Eastenders land' was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Ridley

@FuriousDee What do we do with things we don't like? We put them in the cupboard... isn't that right, Hitler? #DoctorWho
    I wanted to like it but it became too much of an infodump personally.

"He’s not really my son!"
    "But he is though."
    "Oh okay."
    *love saves the day*

Hope someone else comes along and does that cuckoo idea proper justice. I want to like Gatiss's episodes because I like his other stuff but he somehow has nice ideas sandwiched in between a lot of meh.

And Rory taking the smeg out of monsters seemed horribly out of character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 fonzie01

TBH, I havent been impressed with this season at all...far too difficult to follow overall, too many arcs/wibbly wobbly and not enough story, and frankly im tired of River Song (no offence to Alex) and the whole baby thing. This episode, although not the best stand alone, was a breath of fresh air to the season. In short , and again , nothing against any of the cast , but not sure i like what SM has done to Dr Who, its a far cry from what it was, and i know the classic series had its duff moments aplenty, but at least the average Joe Public could follow it. Rant over :D

p.s.does anyone else think that the character of the Doctor has become a lot less heroic....need a bit more action out of Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

We're dead AGAIN!! best line of the whole episode!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

fonzie01 wrote: »
    [...]

p.s.does anyone else think that the character of the Doctor has become a lot less heroic....need a bit more action out of Matt

Nope, and tbh, that sounds to me like you've not watched much Dr. Who other than the new series, because the Doctor isn't meant to be an action-hero; never has until arguably David Tennant took on the role. I find Smith / Moffat's approach much more in keeping with the spirit & the philosophies of the character. The doctor's a science-hero, not an action-hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Stark wrote: »
    Liked it. Simple, creepy, sweet episode. Much better than Gatiss's "Victory of the daleks" and "Lazarus experiment" thrash. Or "Fear Her" for that matter.

"Lazarus Experiment" wasn't written by Gatiss.

Really liked this episode, was proper creepy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Rory's We're Dead AGAIN Statement was Brilliant, I liked the Episode the PRemis wasnt that hard to follow, Alien Has seds, seeeds drift through theuniverse looking for an emotional need expressed as a deep psychic call, sed fills this void becoming whatever the host parent requires, however seed is also deeply psychic itself as can be sen by its ability to transmit a message caross time and space to the Doctor.

this psychic power manifests itself as the 'childs' fears become reality.

Those Dolls tho, they were feckin Brilliant, had a real Creepiness to them, I liked how Confidential went into more detail on their design.

Its a shame really that it was a Stand alone episode cos I'd like to see them utilised more

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Nope, and tbh, that sounds to me like you've not watched much Dr. Who other than the new series, because the Doctor isn't meant to be an action-hero; never has until arguably David Tennant took on the role. I find Smith / Moffat's approach much more in keeping with the spirit & the philosophies of the character. The doctor's a science-hero, not an action-hero.
    Exactly. OK, you could say Jon Pertwee's Doctor was a bit of an action hero, but he equally spent as much time in the lab with Liz and then Jo. He's a thinker and that's what Moffat gets a whole lot more into.

As to the series being overly complex - nah! I love to be challenged like this and have my brain mulling over the credits. Much better than the mawkish sentimentality we used to get or, on occasion, the downright idiocy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that was just... awful

absolutely terrible

let's kill hitler was bad enough, but god damn.. what's happened to this show

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Didn't like, found myself quite bored, although I was tired while I was watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I thought there was 3/4 of a great episode in there. Really enjoyed the build up with The Doctor and the Dad, along with the mystery of what was going on with Amy and Rory and how it would link with the Doctor's side of the story. But once the Doctor went inside the dollhouse it started to fall apart for me a bit. The space cuckoo thing was a great explanation but George overcoming his fears and his fathers love saving the day happened waaaay too quickly and was a bit cliched. I enjoyed it overall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Wow that was like Fear Her but good. I was expecting clown Doctor from the trailer to be in there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 fonzie01

pixelburp wrote: »

Actually ive been watchin and re-watching Doctor Who since 1972. I grew up with Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker. Nowadays i watch DVDs quite a bit. Think Jon's tenure was all action, and Tom had his moments too, particularly in stories like Seeds of Doom. Peter Davison had quite a good action moment in The Visitation, when they were attacked in the woods in part 1. Yes i know things change and the series has to keep up with the times for it to succeed, indeed David Tennants sword fight in The Christmas Invasion was great stuff and quite retro....maybe Matt is playing a more mysterious figure perhaps a bit more like Patrick Troughton. The whole thing has changed a lot...even since Matt's first season

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

Did anyone catch the nursery ryhme at the end... I couldn't hear a part of it.

Tick tock goes the clock(something something something),
    Tick tock goes the clock even for the Doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

jim-jam wrote: »
    Did anyone catch the nursery ryhme at the end... I couldn't hear a part of it.

Tick tock goes the clock(something something something),
    Tick tock goes the clock even for the Doctor.

Yeah, that was it, I assume building up to the finale.

As spiritcrusher said, 3/4's a great episode. The ending ruined it a bit, just too OTT. As my 13 year old pointed out, "he's just knocking them over" which kind of ruined their whole creepiness!

Some very funny lines, Daniel Mays was good, loved the "You aren't from Social Services" line. It's a line that has been done before but he made me laugh out loud with his dead pan delivery!

Also, "you've a gun",
    "It isn't a gun"
    "Well, what is it"
    "I can't tell you, it's too embarrassing!".

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

7/10

Seen worse, I was honestly expecting to see hitler on the closet....

Anyone else notice that the Doctor was a little to worried about the idea of telling kids to stop watching scary shows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bohochic

i liked the bit where the doctor and the dad was drinking tea and the doctor was trying to decide whether or not he will open the closet. i thought the dolls were creepy and the eerie music at the end it felt like it wasnt over or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Think I saw this posted to twitter:

"Put all the things that scare you in the closest... Is Hitler still in the closest.,?"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

fonzie01 wrote: »
    TBH, I havent been impressed with this season at all...far too difficult to follow overall, too many arcs/wibbly wobbly and not enough story,
    I agree re the arcs stuff. It seems much more aimed at the spoliers/"nerdier"/hardcore end of the audience than the general audience. They seem to be ticking all the boxes for that demographic. Wibbly wobbly story arcs that are everywhere in every episode("Bad Wolf" was much more subtle), the doctor himself is "nerdy" certainly when compared to Tennant or Eccleston plus the prerequisite almost equally strong female character(a given for the supposed demograpic) "Oh no it's river, she's sassy and sexy and morally variable you know".
    and frankly im tired of River Song (no offence to Alex) and the whole baby thing.
    Ditto. IMHO she's as intrusive and "ah for feck sake" as Rose ever was. "The tardis taught me to fly her", in a matter of seconds too. Give me an ever loving... I do like the Amy/rory pair though. I think they're a breath of fresh air.
    This episode, although not the best stand alone, was a breath of fresh air to the season.
    Yea I liked this one I have to say.
    Just a little, though each actor/writing team brought something different to the role. Pertwees Doctor was much more an action man type than Troughton's Doctor. Bakers was in the middle. Handy in a swordfight IIRC.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    ("Bad Wolf" was much more subtle)
    I don't care what you think about Wibbly-Wobbly stuff but seriously, repeating a phrase a couple of times throughout a series is only subtle because it's practically non-existent. "Bad Wolf" was not a story arc, it was a pointless phrase that did nothing to hint or tease towards where it was leading. It's like having a trail of breadcrumbs leading to the Emerald City. There was no connection at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I get your point R. Well TBH and cards on the table I'm not a big fan of story arcs unless very background ones that when you get to the end you go "ah riiiight, so that's what that meant" kinda thing. I'm even less of a fan when the series is a slave to such arcs. As a kid Bakers Doctor when they were looking for the keys of time(IIRC) lost me a little at first, though the arc wasn't nearly as convoluted. When most of the episodes are part of some timey wimey gigantic puzzle and even the one offs have it lingering in the background at the end(and we're back to the puzzle next week folks, break out your notebooks and take notes), then it kinda loses me.

I prefer the Doctor when he and his companions arrive in the tardis and a story kicks off and then leave in said tardis when it's over. The tardis gets them from one adventure to the next. That's it's job for me. I generally dislike when the tardis itself is used as an easy way out plot device(even in the classic series back in the day). There's much less sense of peril or drama for me. Last weeks River learning to fly the tardis in under a minute was one such really lazy plot device. As bad as any RTD one(though his were far more over the top to be fair, Tardis as planetary towtruck anyone? :rolleyes:). Her being amy's mate growing up coming out from nowhere and not hinted at previously was really kinda jarring for me too. Up there with RTD "oh we've grown a second Doctor for Rose" guff. Never mind that the his/her/their love will "fix" her in a matter of minutes was really lazy. Made no emotional sense. OK if you're trying to be "clever" at least be clever, rather than tack on some emotions as an adjunct to driving the puzzle plot.

Actually where RTD was better for me than Moffat was his handling of relationships and emotions and characters. It was more real, less cold. He kept the Doctor at some distance, still alien, but the emotional trajectory of those around him and the effect he had worked better for me. Moffats characters for me are more like chess pieces. He's more interested in the board and game than than the pieces and why they may move. This doctor ups the ante on being a closed book. Even compared to the classic series. The classic guys were all mysterious and unhuman, but it was consistent. Moffats Doctor is all mysterious and unhuman and yet still has this River love thing going on, but in a really awkward fashion. Eccleston and Tennant had regular exposition of the heart/soul/past of the Timelord behind his title. Smiths Doctor much less so. I used to think and say that I found him a "bad" actor. I recind that now as being very unfair on him. While I still think his range is a little limited and he doesn't have the presence/chewing the furniture/brooding of T or E (or Baker or Pertwee or Davison), I think his backstory hampers him more than his acting abilities. He's been compared to Troughton and I'd go along with that. Troughton was a bloody good actor so that's a good refelction in Smith IMH.

I prefer more down to earth near present day alien stories too. The ordinary life with extraordinary shít going down, or at least a good balance of them. I liked this episode for that. Plus the "horror" angle and there were some great lines in it too. :) Amy and Rory were great and so was Smith. Right mix of alien, geek and concern going on. And klutz. I like when the character is a bit of a klutz at times. For me Smith is much better than the previous two in that regard.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Her being amy's mate growing up coming out from nowhere and not hinted at previously was really kinda jarring for me too. Up there with RTD "oh we've grown a second Doctor for Rose" guff. Never mind that the his/her/their love will "fix" her in a matter of minutes was really lazy. Made no emotional sense. OK if you're trying to be "clever" at least be clever, rather than tack on some emotions as an adjunct to driving the puzzle plot.
    I agree it came totally out of nowhere. I've usually loved Moffat's writing up till now and I like to have a mix of stand alone and arcs but the Mels thing was just straight up random. In fairness though this season hasn't been one straight story arc and I wouldn't want it to be either. I prefer a mix of a plot arc and the random monster of the week stories.

For this series we had the opening two parter then four stand alone episodes (the Flesh epsiodes were only connected to the arc at the very, very end. For all purposes they were stand alone up until the last two minutes) before returning to the Doctor dying business. Presumably we'll have a similar break until the season closer. That said that'd be just under half the series devoted to the arc which might be a bit to much. I'd say a third of the season would be a better balance.

*snip*
    I don't think I can really comment on this. Not familiar enough with the classic series.
    I prefer more down to earth near present day alien stories too. The ordinary life with extraordinary shít going down, or at least a good balance of them. I liked this episode for that. Plus the "horror" angle and there were some great lines in it too. :) Amy and Rory were great and so was Smith. Right mix of alien, geek and concern going on. And klutz. I like when the character is a bit of a klutz at times. For me Smith is much better than the previous two in that regard.
    Well I think Doctor Who just works better when there's a minimum of special effects. It's more real, the actors respond better for it and it leaves more room for proper emotion and drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I also got funny looks from people when I was happily sitting watching whilst eating some Jammy Dodgers, and then the Doctor asked for some.

I should probably stop eating them when I watch it.

Or you could just offer to share!

Really enjoyed this episode.

Brought me back to being a terrified 6 year old!

How did the little ones like it?

Advertisement