Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lactose free formula

Options
  • 02-09-2011 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

My little fella is just over 7 weeks old and has a problem with nasal conjestion. He has also been having explosive diarrhea nappies every 2 or 3 days. Have been to the doctor and he is on antibiotics for his nose as it was causing difficulty during feeding. The doctor explained that the nappy issue could be a result of an infection (the nose) or being lactose intolerant. He has not been at all settled during his feeds which we put down to the fact that he couldn't breath properly but she said that it could be the lactose intolerance and suggested that we try lactose free formula. When he takes his bottle he is squirming and shaking his head constantly but when I take the bottle away he starts crying and won't stop until you put the bottle back in his mouth and the cycle starts again! He can be difficult to wind too. Other than the issues during the feeds he is such a good baby and rarely cries. He is sleeping well....smiling at us and seems very content when we are not feeding him. He can lie down straight after a feed without any trouble.
    My question is...... we were feeding him c & g and gave him sma LF today as recommended by the doctor. However he cried and squirmed worse than ever while taking it. Should we persevere and try another feed later this evening with the sma LF, or should we forget about the LF formula? He was taking up to 7oz but now its a struggle to get 4 into him.
    The doctor said it was a case of trial and error so we are debating getting the c&g comfort. The doctor also said that he could be constipated even though he is having runny nappies every 2 or 3 days, that there could still be a blockage there. He has been straining really hard the last 24 hour to go to the toilet and has only made a really watery runny nappy.
    I'll ring my doctor to ask her but I'm looking to see if anyone else has had a similar experience and what they tried and what worked?
    He really looks in pain during the feed. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My little fella is just over 7 weeks old and has a problem with nasal conjestion. He has also been having explosive diarrhea nappies every 2 or 3 days. Have been to the doctor and he is on antibiotics for his nose as it was causing difficulty during feeding. The doctor explained that the nappy issue could be a result of an infection (the nose) or being lactose intolerant. He has not been at all settled during his feeds which we put down to the fact that he couldn't breath properly but she said that it could be the lactose intolerance and suggested that we try lactose free formula. When he takes his bottle he is squirming and shaking his head constantly but when I take the bottle away he starts crying and won't stop until you put the bottle back in his mouth and the cycle starts again! He can be difficult to wind too. Other than the issues during the feeds he is such a good baby and rarely cries. He is sleeping well....smiling at us and seems very content when we are not feeding him. He can lie down straight after a feed without any trouble.
    My question is...... we were feeding him c & g and gave him sma LF today as recommended by the doctor. However he cried and squirmed worse than ever while taking it. Should we persevere and try another feed later this evening with the sma LF, or should we forget about the LF formula? He was tarting up to 7oz but now its a struggle to get 4 into him.
    The doctor said it was a case of trial and error so we are debating getting the c&g comfort. The doctor also said that he could be constipated even though he is having runny nappies every 2 or 3 days, that there could still be a blockage there. He has been straining really hard the last 24 hour to go to the toilet and has only made a really watery runny nappy.
    I'll ring my doctor to ask her but I'm looking to see if anyone else has had a similar experience and what they tried and what worked?
    He really looks in pain during the feed. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ask tour phn or doctor about nutramigen .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

My son was similar for first couple of months. Very uncomfortable drinking his bottle, lots and lots of wind. He didnt have colic (TG) but he had a lot of discomfort. I did try the Nutramigen but was told by nurse he may not drink it. It is not sweet like regular formula and by 8wks he would have become accustomed to the taste of his feed (i.e. Cow & Gate). I went ahead and bought it and she was right, he wouldnt even entertain it. I bought Lactease drops (made by Calpol) - they break down the lactease in the milk helping baby to digest it. I swear by day 2 I noticed a huge improvement and after a few days using them he was a different child. I have recommended them to a couple of friends and my sister and they think they are brill....they may not work for you but it's worth a try. They work best in warm milk, we ended up heating his bottles rather than room temperature bottles...best of luck....

Advertisement