Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking for advice.

• 02-09-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Welcome to all people with passion!!!:)
    I've been reading this forum for months now, getting many information from you guys.
    I have myself inflatable dingy with 2.5hp engine. I love spending my time on the water. My dream is to become a boat builder but well... at the moment I have no conditions and possibilities (garage, money, experience etc...)So for now I have to start getting my experience from repairing boats, painting them... I want to buy a boat this month.
    It's going to be a project for autumn or spring. I need some advice. There are three boats that I think about:

1' 16ft Oyster for around 1100E - trailer & boat
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2479712

2' 15.5ft CJR Dory - bad condition but comes with trailer and engine 1200E
    http://www.adverts.ie/boats-accessories/cjr-dory-15-1-2-cabin-boat/769819?ct=1#comment_4639352

3' 16ft Shetland 535 type - trailer & boat
    http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/16-ft-unfinished-project-8o0-ono/86839498

What would you recommend for coastal sea fishing (2-4miles) and some lakes & rivers? I presume the construction of
    Oyster hull cuts the waves well and the hull is sitting deeper in water than CJR Dory which is more stable because of buoyancy chamber at sides and floating hull on top of the water. How does it work in practice??? Some people say the cathedral hull bangs on the waves all the time what might be a bit uncomfortable. Does the Oyster hull swing and dangle more than cathedral if someone walks on the floor from left to right broadside at the calm water? Is it true that CJR Dory would not be too safety to go 2-4 miles from a sea shore?

Also very important thing for me is GRP condition. How can I know if the GRP isn't rooted that much that it could be broken by waves beating the hull (extreme example). How can I check that GRP is good enough to go on the water if most of the boats are double skinned and there is no access to check GRP condition from inside. Do I have to worry when the boat is over 20 years old and never had any protection from rain, sun or frost which affect the GRP.

Another thing is insurance for the boat. My quote from Allianz is 170e annual. Outboard + trailer + boat = 3000E. Max allowed speed between 17 and 24 knots.
    They don't expect locks or any security on boat trailer or engine so that decreases additional costs. Would anyone recommend Allianz??
    Do I have to worry about anything else if the boat will be parked in the front of the house - open area.

Am I allowed to tow 2 axles (4 wheels) with driving license B?

Apologies for any mistakes in my writing English!!

Many thanks for further replies guys!!!

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Matt123 wrote: »
    Am I allowed to tow 2 axles (4 wheels) with driving license B?
    My understanding is that the only restriction on a B licence is a maximum laden weight (trailer + boat) of 750kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Matt123

I just found this:

Trailers
    Cars and trailers
    If you hold a Full category B licence, you may tow a trailer only if:
    • the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer is 750kg or less, or
    • the unladen (empty) weight of your towing vehicle is at least the same as the trailer's design gross vehicle weight, and the combined design gross vehicle weight of the vehicle and trailer is no more than 3,500kg.
    When using a car to tow a heavier trailer, you must hold a category EB licence.

My empty van weights 2 tones. I'm able to tow the trailer with load (boat,engine, stuff) of 1500kg. As point 2 - the empty van weight is more then loaded trailer and both doesn't exceed 3500kg. Am I right now???

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Matt123

sorry, the combination of design gross vehicle weight must be 3500kg so if the van DGVW is 2640kg I can tow trailer DGVW up to 860kg. Will that be good combination?? :) Is anyone here from RSA??:rolleyes:

I also found this:
    With an ordinary category B licence, a person can
    • tow a trailer of up to 0.75 tonnes DGVW, with a vehicle with a DGVW of up to 3.5 tonnes and seating for up to eight passengers (apart from the driver). The combination weight cannot exceed 4.25 tonnes.
    • tow a trailer exceeding 0.75 tonnes DGVW, provided that the DGVW of the trailer does not exceed the un-laden weight of the towing vehicle, and the maximum combination weight does not exceed a total of 3.5 tonnes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi matt, there are lots of boats out there that are worth next to nothing so what you should be looking for first is a good engine and trailer they are what cost the money then look at the boat for signs of osmosis "blisters" in the gelcoat where water has gotten in and made it soft, also look for cracks around the transom and any structural points, most boats can fixed by someone with a bit DIY skill but if you go to get an engine rebuilt or the trailer collapse on the motorway it will cost you :eek:
    Best of look.:)

Advertisement