Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant in Galway City

Options
  • 02-09-2011 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a restaurant in Galway city for a bunch of women, who are celebrating a surprise 40th birthday.

It has to have good food with a lively atmosphere.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Martines on Quay St.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

Cava on Dominick Street is nice for large groups.
    Kai on Sea Road has fab food, particulary for seafood lovers & vegetarians, although there is always at least one meat main also.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

MickDundee wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a restaurant in Galway city for a bunch of women, who are celebrating a surprise 40th birthday.

Cheers

Do they not know it is their birthday, or that they are 40?

surprise - you're 40! :p Oh no, am I 40, really?? :eek: Depressing. :(

I second Cava.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Butterball

Was in Mc Swiggans last week- was so looking foward to it. Was a major disappointment :( Food was medicore and no way as good as it used to be... maybe i got a bad night but...put me off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

on this subject, a few weeks ago i went to a resteraunt called cafe <something>. it is on the city side of salthill and they only serve organic produce from local suppliers. anyone know what its called? and have a number for them?

sorry if my description is poor, i haven't been living here long. thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

McDonagh's- the resturaunt part where you need to queue - is excellent. A bit pricey but really good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

MickDundee wrote: »
    Hi,

Cheers

I think you can book tables in McDonagh's too and it's always a lively spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Butterball wrote: »
    Was in Mc Swiggans last week- was so looking foward to it. Was a major disappointment :( Food was medicore and no way as good as it used to be... maybe i got a bad night but...put me off
    So where do you recommend OP to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

pemtca wrote: »
    Cava on Dominick Street is nice for large groups.
    Kai on Sea Road has fab food, particulary for seafood lovers & vegetarians, although there is always at least one meat main also.

I would second Cava as being a good choice for a large group if ye like to share. It had a good atmosphere. Skip Kai, would be too crowded and expensive... best save your money for the champaign!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I see the Radisson now has some very unusual 'Ethnic' options :eek::eek::eek:

radissongalwaymenu.jpg

(Image taken from Galway Advertiser Facebook Page)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

dilallio wrote: »
    I see the Radisson now has some very unusual 'Ethnic' options :eek::eek::eek:

(Image taken from Galway Advertiser Facebook Page)

Very tender if cooked right. Glad to see Galway is open-minded. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Kirby's. /thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Kirby's. /thread

lol, gotta admire the confidence. I remember when I was relatively new to Galway and our guest's insisted on a drink in the quays. We were getting hungry and asekd to look at the menu and saw fish and chips were €18. I asked the waitress where would she take guests in our shoes. She said busker browns (kirbys). Been going ever since.

May be a bit too casual for what they're after (nice pub grub).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

newkie wrote: »
    lol, gotta admire the confidence. I remember when I was relatively new to Galway and our guest's insisted on a drink in the quays. We were getting hungry and asekd to look at the menu and saw fish and chips were €18. I asked the waitress where would she take guests in our shoes. She said busker browns (kirbys). Been going ever since.

May be a bit too casual for what they're after (nice pub grub).

Ah its a bit better than average pub grub imo. Kirby's has a bit more restaurant feel to it in the evenings than the buskers side. The course's deal is very good. & i say this as a testosterone filled fully functioning hetrosexual man: the desserts(specifically the chocolate thing & the sticky toffee pudding) are divine. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Lovely staff and food,simple menu of selection of starters then fish,steak or vegetarian option for main for 15euro.Really impressed
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

Lovely staff and food,simple menu of selection of starters then fish,steak or vegetarian option for main for 15euro.Really impressed
    :D

+1 for Rouge. Was just there last night and it's now in my top 3 restaurants in Galway. The other two being Nimmos/Ard Bia and McSwiggans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 comedinewithme

Cava is a lovely place to visit however Rouge (one the same street) is excellent value!

You can read the reviews on both restaurants @ www.comedinewithmegalway.wordpress.com

Hope you have a lovely time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Garavans on shop street, started doing food this week, fabulous Spanish chef, lively pianist, with live music from 10pm till late and it's not blaring. They'll play anything you want, their Neil Diamond gig is something else. Get yourselves down there, you'll have a bloody great night with a good laugh.

Advertisement