Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did AC/DC really play Leisureland in the 1980s?

Options
  • 02-09-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

A quote from Wikipedia's Salthill page (but it also appears elsewhere)
    Leisureland, having a fair ground, swimming pool and concert hall, became a huge attraction and brought in top bands such as U2, AC/DC and ZZ Top during the 1980's
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salthill
    I wasn't at the gig myself but I remember U2's last time playing Leisureland during the War tour in 1983. Not only do I not remember ZZ Top or AC/DC playing there I'm pretty certain neither of them ever did.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I don't remember either of them playing either.

I remember seeing other bands like The Pogues, Status Quo, Simply Red, Van Morrisson, Paul Brady, Hothouse Flowers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭LoopyL

The Beatles were ment to play in Salthill Park years ago just before they got famous:

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/35745

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Tom Waits did a gig there in 1981.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Neither of them played in leisureland acdc played in Dublin in 82 I think it was in rds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Saw U2 and Thin Lizzy there back in the day....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Yes AC/DC played Leisureland, i was one of the sold out 25000 crowd there.:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

A neighbour of mine swears she was at MeatLoaf there in the 80's when he was touring everywhere to build himself back up.

Can anyone verify the story??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Duran Duran played there at some stage as well

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

A quote from Wikipedia's Salthill page (but it also appears elsewhere)

I wasn't at the gig myself but I remember U2's last time playing Leisureland during the War tour in 1983. Not only do I not remember ZZ Top or AC/DC playing there I'm pretty certain neither of them ever did.

I don't remember hearing that ZZ Top or AC/DC ever played Leisureland.

I saw Dire Straits, Meat Loaf, Status Quo, Mark Knopfler (Solo),
    Thin Lizzy, Rory Gallagher, Steve Earle, U2, Waterboys and Boomtown Rats
    all play there at various times.

I still have most of the concert tickets........sad I know.

aw wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine swears she was at MeatLoaf there in the 80's when he was touring everywhere to build himself back up.

Yes I saw Meatloaf play there and I still have the concert ticket.

It says Wed Feb 13th at 8pm but it doesn't say what year.
    It cost £8.50.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Status Quo actually played? I remember the early 90s they were supposed to play Leisureland but they went for dinner in Shama (Spanish Arch) the night before and got a dose of food poisoning and ended up cancelling.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Status Quo actually played? I remember the early 90s they were supposed to play Leisureland but they went for dinner in Shama (Spanish Arch) the night before and got a dose of food poisoning and ended up cancelling.

The ticket I have says:

"End Of the Road Tour '84" :)

Wed April 18th Adm: £7.50

So they were doing farewell tours back in 84...

Yes, i was dragged to the concert by an ex. I remember some city counciler being appalled at some of his language on stage, same woman wanted to ban Bad Manners from ever playing Galway again because Buster Bloodvellel stuck his tongue out on stage....:pac::pac:

The ticket I have says:

"End Of the Road Tour '84" :)

Wed April 18th Adm: £7.50

So they were doing farewell tours back in 84...

Indeed, i was at that one, that was their first farwell tour and best...
    Their follow up farwell tour with some new members wasn't as good.

Bloody hell, i was at all of them as well. Gallagher twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Yes I saw Meatloaf play there and I still have the concert ticket.

It says Wed Feb 13th at 8pm but it doesn't say what year.
    It cost £8.50.
    It was 1984. My first ever gig. I've still got the ticket too. Black print on purple paper with UCG embossed into it. (It was promoted by Ollie Jennings I think when he was Ents officer at UCG.)
    galwayrush wrote: »
    Yes, i was dragged to the concert by an ex. I remember some city counciler being appalled at some of his language on stage, same woman wanted to ban Bad Manners from ever playing Galway again because Buster Bloodvellel stuck his tongue out on stage....:pac::pac:
    That was Bridie O'Flaherty. It wasn't the language at the concert she complained about but what she described as a striptease, which was really just a backing singer losing her tearaway skirt as part of the performance but still wearing more clothes than you'd see on Salthill beach on a slightly sunny day. And I think the Buster Bloodvessel incident was him mooning the crowd.
    Das Kitty wrote: »
    They played three times in the 80's. Once in 1984 as already mentioned and again in 1986 and 1988.

That was Bridie O'Flaherty. It wasn't the language at the concert she complained about but what she described as a striptease, which was really just a backing singer losing her tearaway skirt as part of the performance but still clothed wearing more clothes than you'd see on Salthill beach on a slightly sunny day. And I think the Buster Bloodvessel incident was him mooning the crowd.

Yes, it was Bridie, and i seem to remember she was also annoyed at Buster Bloodvessel throwing some water at ther audience as well.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The Smiths played in Leisureland in 1985.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

You can add Depeche Mode, Level 42 and Def Leppard, Eric Clapton, Simple Minds, Chris Rea , Van Morrison & Chris De Burgh to the list
    & have tickets and programs from all of them ..... So equally sad :D

Meatloaf definitely played and local band Azriel played support

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Thanks guys for making me feel young for once!

Great to hear about these gigs, I have all my old stubs too, maybe some day they'll interest someone!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

U2 played in Salthill years back before they hit the big time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

ErnieBert wrote: »
    The Smiths played in Leisureland in 1985.

Didn't Morrissey - without The Smiths - play there a couple of years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Add House of Pain too 93-94:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions sometime around 1986 and Therapy?/Kerbdog/Joyrider in January 1994 are two others that spring to mind. (Was at the latter but not the former.)

Then there was New Order in the Warwick and Primal Scream in some Salthill basement club (forgotten which).

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

April 83 lizzy played there on farewell/thunder and lightning tour a recording of "got to give it up" from leisure land made it on to the life album.

Jaysis, you're all so old!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Dont forget the legends that are East 17 played there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

And Def Leppard

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

The Prodigy played there in the early 90s just when they were getting relatively big then.They were then seen about an hour after the gig in Salthill Park smoking weed:).
    I use to work in the old Esso station near the Omniplex Cinema on the Headford Rd.The Manager of it was telling me that when U2 played in Leisureland that time that they stopped at the garage to use the toilet on their way out of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I saw Thin lizzy and "the Jam"in the eighties,not many at the Jam.Does anybody remember Sting living in Connemara and Ivors motorbikes in Nuns island used to fix his bike?

Advertisement