Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did AC/DC really play Leisureland in the 1980s?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The Specials and The Beat did a joint gig there about '82. Turned into a mini riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

The Specials and The Beat did a joint gig there about '82. Turned into a mini riot.
    I remember that gig!

I also saw U2 play in the Claddagh Hall of all places, it was around the time the EP with 'Stories for Boys' on it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

I was at that one. But don't remember a riot. What happened?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Riot me hole, I remember their epic sound system though. The Beat sure knew how to rattle a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Wow, talk about nostalgia. Remember seeing Lizzy and Rory a couple of times, Quo, U2, The Jam, Dr Feelgood, Horslips and Mama'a Boys. Although they didn't play Leisureland, (gig was in Seapoint), Wild Horses with Brian Robertson and Jimmy Bain showed up with 2 great opening tracks, realised the small crowd was it and decided to get locked from there on in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

brendan o carroll played there aswell :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

My favourite Leisureland gig was the Bunny Carr 'Quciksilver' quiz show episode where nobody answered a single question correctly in the entire program, not even a 1p question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions sometime around 1986 and Therapy?/Kerbdog/Joyrider in January 1994 are two others that spring to mind. (Was at the latter but not the former.)

Then there was New Order in the Warwick and Primal Scream in some Salthill basement club (forgotten which).

Haha, I met the lead singer of Commotions in town back in the 80's. It was outside where McDonalds is now on Shop St.....
    I asked for his autograph and was completely starstruck:o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Joan Armatrading, Kevin Johnson , Depeche Mode are 3 more i can remember hearing played there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

galwayrush wrote: »
    Joan Armatrading, Kevin Johnson , Depeche Mode are 3 more i can remember hearing played there.
    Clannad headlined there at least once. As did Bucks Fizz :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Bay city rollers and mungo gerry.also played there

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭32yg

the prodigy played there in the 90's i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Just remembered Big Country around 1983 too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

KD Lang

Four of Us

Level 42 - they played football before the gig with locals in Salthill Park

The Pretenders

The Jam - photos from that gig appeared in a book about the Jam

Status Quo

The Smiths were supported by James who are still gigging

Billy Connolly played there at least twice

Depeche Mode were spat at by a bunch of local yobos got in for free

Echo & Bunnymen cancelled when lead singer Ian McCulloch broke his leg after falling off a stage at another gig in Berlin

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions sometime around 1986 and Therapy?/Kerbdog/Joyrider in January 1994 are two others that spring to mind. (Was at the latter but not the former.)

Then there was New Order in the Warwick and Primal Scream in some Salthill basement club (forgotten which).

New Order in the Aula Max ... think All Cats Are Grey played support??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I went to see Nik Kershaw but it was only to se the support act. I swear.

The support was The Fountainhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

All I remember is that Holsten Beer was on draught in Salthill for Quo in the mid 80's. It wasn't the 'End of the Road tour', it was the next one whatever it was called. Drove home too, and no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Holly8, Primal Scream played in the basement club opposite the Castle (Trends bar is still on the ground floor) in 1989. They were still a grunge / Curehead act at that stage and hadn't caught up with the likes of the Happy Mondays and Stone Roses, who influenced their Screamadelica album. Still a good gig though.

EB, I remember Fountainhead. Had a brilliant dance track called Rhythm Method if i'm not mistaken. That's a real blast from the past.

I was also at the New Order gig in the Warwick, 1986 I think. Brilliant gig.

Advertisement