Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visitors in the Compost

Options
  • 02-09-2011 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Can see from previous threads that various flies, ants and worms are quite normal in the compost bins but what about woodlouse(lice?). Is it safe to assume they are helping with the composting process or is it another sign? I use a mix of household green waste, grass cuttings etc.

Bit clueless on this so suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be very surprised to be shown a healthy compost bin without them - so yep, perfectly fine, and to be expected. they help break down dead plant matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cora09

I'm using a mini-skip bag for all my garden rubbish like weeds and ivy i've cut away as well as grass its not covered and i've been keeping it wet is there anything i need to do never done compost before and I'm not buying a composter cos i ain't got the mula :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it'd be much better if the compost was actually in touch with the soil, would allow earthworms and the like in much more readily.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cora09

it'd be much better if the compost was actually in touch with the soil, would allow earthworms and the like in much more readily.

Well when i was claerin out an area for a flower bed i threw some of the soil in too and any worms i came across 'big ones, long ones, littles ones, short ones i'm goin out to eat worms...' not really its an old song my mum knows - but i did get a good few rather fat long ones from under the bark chip where I put my wildbird area (that's not attracting anything!)

Advertisement