Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decisions decisions, Help if you would?!

• 02-09-2011 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Been looking at two bikes, ( Depending on weather I get the money together)

First is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056369238

the other is this

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gentsbicycles/2483329

I know the boardman has a much better spec, but ive been looking at getting a bike with a relaxed geometry because of an old back problem. Wondering would the 53cm on the boardman frame be alright on the back? ( im 5"8 with 30inch inseem) The specialized is the very basic model but im thinking I could upgrade the groupset when needs be, even throw in a carbon seat post to help dampen vibration etc? I also much prefer the look of the specialiazed :P

What think ye?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I like the look of the Boardman.

Then again, if you buy it now you will always be thinking "If I had waited just a LITTLE bit longer, I could have got Electronic Sora with "MindShift" technology for the small sum of £5,000 punts (I predict massive inflation and a failing of the common currency by this time, far, FAR into the future).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

now with a 15% off code mentioned in another post, this has fallen within budget. Any opininos on this? Expensive enough group set on it http://www.wiggle.co.uk/battaglin-start-2011/

Edit only takes off the list price so stays at 730. Nice bike tho at that price regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I don't know anything about that bike brand but the name 'Start' would put me off. :pac:

Looking a Ribble bikes recently and they've good offers. Like this Ribble Evo Pro Carbon with Tigra for €900:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/specialedition.asp?action=GenerateConstructor&part=SERIBBLEEVOPROSHIM&sub=conf_SERC&bike=1

I was looking at the ribble bikes alright. My budget doesnt stretch as far unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I reckon if you take your time and shop around you could build up a good 10 speed aluminium framed bike for under €700 or full carbon for about a grand. For example, Merlin are selling 5600 105 groupsets for £280. I recently bought a set of RS10 wheels for £80, a full carbon PX SL Pro fork for £50, 3TTT handlebars for £10 and Schwalbe folding tyres for £7:). Finding the frame might be a problem but as winter sets in there should be bargains available. Last year PX were doing carbon frameset inc. fork and headset for £399 and I imagine you'd get an alu frameset for under £200.

• Advertisement

I reckon if you take your time and shop around you could build up a good 10 speed aluminium framed bike for under €700 or full carbon for about a grand. For example, Merlin are selling 5600 105 groupsets for £280. I recently bought a set of RS10 wheels for £80, a full carbon PX SL Pro fork for £50, 3TTT handlebars for £10 and Schwalbe folding tyres for £7:). Finding the frame might be a problem but as winter sets in there should be bargains available. Last year PX were doing carbon frameset inc. fork and headset for £399 and I imagine you'd get an alu frameset for under £200.

Yeah. Very true. I have a budget of 650, thats what I sold my bike for. Been looking since you put this into my head. I was going to buy a bike from wiggle with quite a low spec but still a nice bike. Now I dont know, maybe I should look into building one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

Thought I was getting a great deal with those £7 Schwalbes too. Puncture on the first day out and nice little gash in the case doesn't look too promising for them....

Thought I was getting a great deal with those £7 Schwalbes too. Puncture on the first day out and nice little gash in the case doesn't look too promising for them....

Interesting. I've been using Schwalbe tyres for years and generally have found them very good. In fact, I don't think I've ever punctured on one (other than snakebite punctures). The only exception was a set of (bloody expensive!) Ultremo R1's I bought only a few months back. They're extremely light racing tyres but are clearly not designed for Irish roads. They cut up very quickly and the rear blew out through a gash in the sidewall. I then had to stop using the front as it had a slight bulge which was making me nervous on fast descents:o.

I would have thought the Blizzards would be pretty bombproof. What sort of surfaces were you using them on?

Im actually going to have a look at this tomorrow.

May be old parts, but still a good spec for the money

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gentsbicycles/2497062

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

Interesting. I've been using Schwalbe tyres for years and generally have found them very good. In fact, I don't think I've ever punctured on one (other than snakebite punctures). The only exception was a set of (bloody expensive!) Ultremo R1's I bought only a few months back. They're extremely light racing tyres but are clearly not designed for Irish roads. They cut up very quickly and the rear blew out through a gash in the sidewall. I then had to stop using the front as it had a slight bulge which was making me nervous on fast descents:o.

I would have thought the Blizzards would be pretty bombproof. What sort of surfaces were you using them on?

Yeah, was assuming the Blizzards would have good puncture resistance too. Picked up puncture riding the hard shoulder of a country road which inevitably will have a bit of crap and debris from the road. Still, had been using Bontrager Race Lites for the last 6 months on same surfaces and no punctures. Think they may be going back on!

• Advertisement

thehamo wrote: »

Hey thehamo, did you buy this bike?

thehamo wrote: »

Hey thehamo, did you buy this bike?

Hey no didn't go for it in the end. Was a very good spec but I got a lovely felt z85 for a good price with a pair of shoes and accessories. It has a lesser groupset on it (tiagra all over) but the frame is the most comfortable I've ever ridden and it's a serious looker!!

Advertisement