Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics In One Year

• 02-09-2011 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I was just wondering if Physics would be doable in a year? I'm repeating the LC and hoping to get into Science in Trinity. I do two other science subjects: Biology (A2 this year) and Chemistry (B2 this year) at honours and I really want to drop French and do another science subject. Is it a long, hard course?
    Any information about it would be helpful!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

Honours is difficult enough, a lot of definitions and laws to remember. Although it's a lot easier now that you get all the formulae in the tables. If you're good at maths and logical thinking then go for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

I'd say it would be fairly difficult to do physics in just a year if you want to do well in it. I don't think it would be really necessary to have physics done if you want to do science in Trinity. Leaving Cert physics isn't overly complicated and you will be able to catch up when you are in college, when you go into college they will start at the basics anyway and they won't expect everyone to have done physics, especially in a general science degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

If you're interested in it, and you have access to a good teacher then its definately possible in a year. We had a sub with very little knowledge of the subject for most of 5th year, so for all intensive purposes we did the entire course in 6th year with the new teacher. The entire class did very well (there were only 3 or 4 people below a B at higher level)
    I say if you really want to do it, go for it. But you're limiting yourself for backups if you don't do french.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭steve84

I'm 27 and hadn't done the LC the first time around (left at start of 5th year about 11 years ago). I decided to go back to education and I did a repeat leaving cert course this year.
    I only did 4 subjects, all at higher level, one of which was Physics. I did have an interest in Physics before I started but had never studied it. There is a good lot in the physics course but I had a great physics teacher for the year and worked hard at it and got an A1!
    I got my first choice of Science in Trinity :)
    Best of luck with the repeat and hope it all works out. Might see ya up there next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

I think it's doable. It is IMO the easiest of the three main science subjects, the experiments are very predictable(I narrowed my study to 7 or 8 this year and got 4 out 4 :)) and there is quite a good choice and also some certainties on the paper making the course shorter if you're looking to streamline your learning :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement