Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Budget Beer

• 02-09-2011 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,474 ✭✭✭✭

St Etienne.

Out of Aldi, usually less than €1 a can.

Tried Staroslav out of there on the recommendations of some in the forum but I can't warm to it at all.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Prasky, Bavaria, Tuborg, Karpackie, Hackenberg etc are grand. Dutch Gold aint the worst either, funny enough the worst beers imo are Budweiser + co and they are "premium" beers!
    My local Spar is doing a Ludgers Gold its a euro a can, 4.7% and quite decent also. Centras do a Kellers Lager I think it is, tastes grand, around the 5% mark and I think 1.14 a can,
    Lidl have perlanbacher 6 50cl bottles for 7 quid and its reasonable, Aldi have some decent ones too, can't remember the name or if it exists anymore but comes in a very bland silver can with blue writing on it, its a german beer

Hope this helps

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The German wheat beer that's €1.19 a can in Lidl. Can't remember the name of it.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The German wheat beer that's €1.19 a can in Lidl. Can't remember the name of it.

Is it Grafhenwalder Pils or something like that? Its not a bad drink at all :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Steinheusour from aldi, 6 longnecks for 4€, bought some of this stuff at the start of the summer when I was after blowing my beer budget and its lovely stuff.... would regularly buy it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I like the little french bottles of beer in tescos - Biere D'or (I think). 20 bottles for 9 euro! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Zebra3 wrote: »

Schofferhoffer? Yeah that's nice.

I've recently been getting six Tuborg for 7 in the offy. It's a nice sup. And doesn't leave my stomach in bits like Karpackie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 al_1979

Rossini 1.69euro 660ml in Aldi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

al_1979 wrote: »
    Rossini 1.69euro 660ml in Aldi

Resession proof Peroni, nice stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Five bottles (330ml) of BrewDog for €10 in Cheers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Staropramen, €3.60 for a 6 pack here :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

jester77 wrote: »
    I'm amazed they can give it away in north Germany, suspicious foreign beer-like concoction that it is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'm amazed they can give it away in north Germany, suspicious foreign beer-like concoction that it is :)

Foreign beers are actually hard to come by here, apart from Czech beer there is very little else available unless you go to an import shop and then you are paying big prices. As good as the German beer is, this sucks. Was talking with an owner of a British store recently about this. He used to import beer from the UK, but it got too expensive as the importers were charging a lot because most of the imports have no pfand (bottle deposit) so he was losing out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Foreign beers are actually hard to come by here
    Yes, that's why I was surprised that Staro is available at any price. The German consumer still seems to be clinging to the Reinheitsgebot as though it were some guarantee of beer quality. That's a big part of why foreign beer is so hard to find, and why I'm surprised that a Czech adjunct lager is available, albeit at something of a discount compared to German beers, I assume.

All hail the power of InBev!

You can get a 6 can pack of Prazsky (which is Staropramen I am told) for €6 these days, a decent budget beer at the price,

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Stoya at €1 a can aint bad..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Not much of a beer drinker any more, but Devils Bit flagons are €4 in Tescos. Nice cider - a little drier than Bulmers with more of an appley tang to it. 6% too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Tuborg, please and thank you very much. 12 cans for a €10 in tesco for over a month, and my local has it on draft, €3 a pint, or a pitcher for a €10. Can't go wrong!

I'd have it over a lot of beers, and have yet to feel rough from it, and my god I gave it a damn go good at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Stella Artois is great value. Dutch Gold 12 for 10 euro is good. Grafenwalder is good value and a cheap one in Aldi was good when I got it, it was German, greenish can stein something??

**Edit** Found it. Lowenstein

44436.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Tuborg, please and thank you very much. 12 cans for a €10 in tesco for over a month, and my local has it on draft, €3 a pint, or a pitcher for a €10. Can't go wrong!

I'd have it over a lot of beers, and have yet to feel rough from it, and my god I gave it a damn go good at the weekend.

I agree, can't look much further than the good old Tuborg for that price. I also but a good bit of the small French bottles from Aldi - 4.40 for 10. As long as its cold enough its fine.

Advertisement