Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightlife

• 02-09-2011 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Well lads. I used to live in Athlone up until I was twelve, before relocating to the west. But my knowledge of the nightlife in Athlone isn't up to date, and I'll be heading to AIT next week to start studying Software Design.

I was wondering if you could give me a few decent locations for a bit of craic on student nights. I'm not a heavy drinker, but going out the odd night or two will do me grand. I'd also appreciate some advice on areas to stay away from, because I've heard that a few clubs and estates in Athlone can be rough enough.

Regards,
    J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tadhgmorris

stay away from willow park . st mels whats left of it. and the batteries. stay away from connaught street.

get your housing in auburn heights, maybe cypruss gardens, stay away fro m the apartments at front of willow park just outside of college they tend to be just hellish.

as for pubs you have charlie brownes and the tack room and the college bar. all of which are full of you guys.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Town is pretty busy too around Karma and Q. Taxi down from college area is about 6/7 euro. Some bars down there are doing student specials so it might be worth the taxi fare if you save a few bob in the bars :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JReilly

Appreciate the information. Are the nightclubs any good? Do there be many fights there on student nights?

I've heard some pretty bad things about Willow park and the batteries. I myself remember St. Mels too well. I'm glad that most of it is gone. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

Karma is quiet good, but can be strict on entry, depending what day of the week it is. Its the only club I go to!

Havent been to Q since it was Bozos so not sure bout there!

Havent been to Genesis since...... God I dont know! Maybe 5 or 6 years, never really liked it there to be honest, carpet was sticky and the place stank to high heaven.

Karma is probably your best bet, think its 3 euro a drink on a Wednesday night and free entry before half 12 with a student card, they usually have decent enough things on during the week and RAG week there is pretty good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

Genesis is probably the same now as it was when you were a kid: a total hole. My cousin went to AIT a good few years before me and his description was the exact same as my experience of it. :P
    Karma is a lot better but if you're not fond of wearing dress shoes the bouncers can be a little annoying.
    Q(Bozo's) isn't quite as strict on the dress code, but are getting there. There's not much difference between the two (music, general condition, promotions, etc), but I find that Karma usually has a wider age range than Q.
    Your other option is a late bar like Coppers, no entry fee but pretty much the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Stay well away from Q, their bouncers like to make up their own rules on who gets in and who doesn't... so if you're with friends or your girlfriend they'll make up some excuse to let them in and not you or vice versa.., they shouldn't get away with it but when it comes to bouncers even the head bouncer has a "whatever they say goes" attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Stay well away from Q, their bouncers like to make up their own rules on who gets in and who doesn't... so if you're with friends or your girlfriend they'll make up some excuse to let them in and not you or vice versa.., they shouldn't get away with it but when it comes to bouncers even the head bouncer has a "whatever they say goes" attitude.

Didn't happen to be refused entry yourself by any chance? Have to say that nearly anyone gets into Q unless your completely mouldy drunk/under 16 / pain in the ar*e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

athlonelad wrote: »
    Didn't happen to be refused entry yourself by any chance? Have to say that nearly anyone gets into Q unless your completely mouldy drunk/under 16 / pain in the ar*e

I've not myself. Few of my friends have for being too drunk apparently. Despite not appearing it. So on those occasions the rest of us just left the premises to join them instead. Ruins a night when you head out for a good night and a few of your friends get denied entry.

Just my opinion, I'd rather not chance it anymore myself when the town has two other nightclubs which, when they have something on, are just as good for a night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

athlonelad wrote: »
    A Q bouncer stopped me one time for wearing cons, he was a thick fuck but he let me in after a couple of minutes and gave me a warning. Haven't been in Q in about a year so I don't know what they're like now, but I remember the good old days of Bozos where you could get in wearing anything and completely shit-faced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

Zero, I had a similar experience on my 21st. My bf of the time was wearing combats and cons so they weren't letting him in, so I began to walk away with him until my other friends (who got in no problem) sweet-talked the bouncers into letting him in if he changed into some jeans (our friend lived around the corner and let him borrow a pair :P).
    Mind you, last RAG week I wasn't let into the Prince bar randomly, despite being completely sober. Oh well, ducked in through the hotel doors :P

Just keep quiet in the queue and be polite. I get into Karma the whole time in manky jeans and runners, but then again I'm a girl...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Yes I remember that.

Advertisement