Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book launch ideas?

Options
  • 02-09-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I need some ideas for an interesting place to launch a (my) book this November.

The book is on the future of Dublin - so the launch needs to be in Dublin. Preferably fairly centre-city as people will usually be more inclined to come along post-work and close by: most of the invitees seem to work in the city centre.

The location also needs to be able to hold more than 100 people. I was thinking of somewhere like upstairs in Toners, but it doesn't have the capacity.

There are the usual City Hall, Mansion House things, but I am wracking my brains trying to think of somewhere more quicky/interesting.

Anybody been to an interesting space/launch recently?

Any and all suggestions very welcome!

FdP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Fragglefur

Hi

a friend of mine had a great launch a year or so in a pub along the quays. It was upstairs in the Workman's Club. I've been to quiite a few book launches (mostly in book shops) over the years, but this was by far the most atmospheric.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Hello there,

Thanks for that. In fact, it's the second time theta Club has cropped up in the last week or so (I had forgotten it though), so I will be sure to check it out.

Cheers,

FdP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

*Puts on his nosy head*

What's the book?

*Puts on his cheeky head*

Can I come? :pac:

New to Dublin so don't know many of the sites, but I see they have re-jigged barges plying the canals at the moment, and hire them out to parties and groups. Probably wouldn't hold the numbers, but might be something to look into.

The book is a collection of 20 essays on the future of Dublin, covering topics like: housing, bridges, education, theatre, literature, politics, memory, movement, culture, visual arts, energy, and so on. It's excellent !

You can come to the launch, of course. In fact, I'll probably send out a general invitation on the appropriate forum here.

Good idea on the barges etc. I'll look into that as well.

FdP

actually come to think of it, I was at another launch a few years ago in the Chester Beatty. It was much more formal than the one in the Work mans club. I guess it really depends on your audience. The setting was beautiful though and obviously very central.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 spanx

The best launch I was at was in the Royal Irish Academy on Dawson Street.
    It's well worth checking it out. There's a great room they use on the ground floor which has Thomas Moore's book collection in it.

spanx wrote: »
    The best launch I was at was in the Royal Irish Academy on Dawson Street.
    It's well worth checking it out.

yes actually second the RIA, totally forgot about that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

What about the new museum opening on Stephen's Green. It's Dublin themed and given it's brand new very few will have been there before. http://www.littlemuseum.ie/

Just to thank everybody for their suggestions for the launch of Dublin's Future:new visions for Ireland's capital city. (Available in all good bookshops from next week!)

The launch is next week, November 3rd at 6pm, in the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland building at 38 Merrion Square. They had given me a grant to produce the book, so wanted the launch in their place, which was fine.

If people who posted here want to come along, please feel free: RSVP to booklaunch@scsi.ie with your name and affiliation.

FdP

sorry didn't see invite in time. Hope it went well!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement