Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for first years!

Options
  • 02-09-2011 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Given that it is freshers week next week, it might be a good idea for us seasoned old heads to give some tips and advice that you have picked up or learned the hard way in college.

I'll start with one.

When you are hungry and all your cutlery and plates etc are in a pile in a sink with mould growing on them, throw a pizza in the oven and tear the box open and fold it back on itself, it makes the perfect size plate for said pizza in the oven.

Another I can think of,

Become friends with someone a year ahead of you in the same course, extremely helpful when it comes to projects! Joining a club/soc can be a good way of encouraging this!!

Anyone got any more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

http://www.just-eat.ie/

Order takeaway online!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TraskHamilton

Definitely try to find as many computer labs (not just the library!!!) as you can. Makes life a lot easier for everyone in the first few weeks if the library isnt mobbed with people desperately trying to print off timetables and whatnot.
    I'd reccommend familiarising yourself with the venus labs and schroedinger labs (ashamed to say I didn't find these until late 2nd year myself :o) as they are often ridiculously quiet at the same times the library and Kemmy are usually overflowing with people!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

Yup stay away from the library the wait is long and I find them heart breakingly slow....

ah overall enjoy first year it counts to nothing but stay with your work and ye all will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Condoms are FREE! use the damn things :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Given that it is freshers week next week, it might be a good idea for us seasoned old heads to give some tips and advice that you have picked up or learned the hard way in college.

I'll start with one.

When you are hungry and all your cutlery and plates etc are in a pile in a sink with mould growing on them, throw a pizza in the oven and tear the box open and fold it back on itself, it makes the perfect size plate for said pizza in the oven.

Another I can think of,

Become friends with someone a year ahead of you in the same course, extremely helpful when it comes to projects! Joining a club/soc can be a good way of encouraging this!!

Anyone got any more?

ohh ehhh I house shared with 2nd year students rather then 1st years best thing ever they minded me.. aww bless biggest drunks I knew but smart enough to get up and go to college!

Never make your ''house'' the party house! Just find someone else's ..

College can be overwhelming!! make it your business to pop into your student union loads of tips/advice and yes fun to be had! Is usually a comfortable space so its easier on you if you have any questions!

Make sure to join club/sport teams etc its a great way to meet people

Go to lectures!!

Learn but have a laugh, enjoy the freedom!! Do something different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

Get to know which bathrooms in college are clean and don't smell. Comes in handy when you're hungover and need a quiet sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

neil_ wrote: »
    Get to know which bathrooms in college are clean and don't smell. Comes in handy when you're hungover and need a quiet sit down.

Library basement jacks are some of the best.

The toilets on the AM/BM level stink even from the outside...

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

if you don't get lost at least once a day then your not attending enough!

if you don't get lost at least once a day then your not attending enough!

i still get lost:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Lads what's the best way to take notes? Refill pad and polypockets? Notes copy? Laptop?

• Advertisement

RHunce wrote: »
    Lads what's the best way to take notes? Refill pad and polypockets? Notes copy? Laptop?

you have 5 modules and in the courtyard where you can get a 250 page refill pad with 5 dividers in them for different modules. handy out instead of having 5 refill pads :D
    very few people bring laptops to lectures and most who do end up creeping on facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

RHunce wrote: »

A lot of lectures will encourage you to print off their notes for the lecture in advance and you 'fill in the blanks'. This method can be the best depending on the lecturer. Some lecturers don't put all their content online and highlight in the lecture what slides they haven't put online.

Other than that, a pad of paper is the best (You can use one with dividers, or use a regular pad and when you go home put the notes for each module into a ring folder with dividers)

People rarely use laptops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Dont use plassy cabs!While they're close by they rip you off and are always grumpy!

If yer going to Red Raisins (I.e Subway/starbucks etc)use the door by the SU...My gawd is that building complicated!

Randomly explore the whole area!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

If all the cutlery and plates are dirty, pick out a plate, a knife and a fork. leave them in your room and just use that set whenever you need them. Clean them after yourself and then youl know whats actually fit to use :D

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Don't join too many clubs/socs-- pick one or two and stick with them for the term. You can always join more either in January or in second year, but try not to overwhelm yourself with commitments.

Check your module outline when it's given to you and highlight when the essays are due, and when the mid-terms are. Write the deadlines in a journal, or save them to your phone. You do not want to skip a tutorial, only to find out that as a result, you've lost 20% of your grade. Likewise, essay deadlines are usually a Friday at either 12 noon, or 5pm. Make sure you don't mix them up, because often there's no way of contacting the module head to hand in the paper after the deadline.

Having said that, don't take yourself or the course too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

If I bring in my laptop, is it possible to get it hooked up to the printers on campus to print off essays etc.?

augusta24 wrote: »
    If I bring in my laptop, is it possible to get it hooked up to the printers on campus to print off essays etc.?

a memory stick is much lighter :P
    and no i dont think you can. all the computers in the library are connected to a printer, and a coloured printer.
    same goes for the venus lab. you pay money on to you account in the print room and you print away. colour pages are 40 cent i think a page and balck is 9 cent i think.
    not the cheapest for a project.
    the snap photo place in the courtyard is cheaper. bring in the memory stick and give it to them and show what you want printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

There are printers in all the Computer Labs and library there is no problems printing anything off for a cost, you need to top up your payprint account. There is also a printer in the Red Raisin Cafe in the main building which runs on a separate account it's handy when there are ques at the other printers.

Some lectures provide "Books" to buy for the course material they will give you the Book code and you can purchase it at the Print room personally I would prefer all Lectures to do this as it saves a fortune in printing costs and easier for revision.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Agent_99 wrote: »

There are printers in all the Computer Labs and library there is no problems printing anything off for a cost, you need to top up your payprint account. There is also a printer in the Red Raisin Cafe in the main building which runs on a separate account it's handy when there are ques at the other printers.

Some lectures provide "Books" to buy for the course material they will give you the Book code and you can purchase it at the Print room personally I would prefer all Lectures to do this as it saves a fortune in printing costs and easier for revision.

Thanks for that, great info. I just still want to clarify though, if I bring in my laptop is it possible to use campus printers or do I have to use the campus computers to print ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

garv123 wrote: »
    a memory stick is much lighter :P
    and no i dont think you can. all the computers in the library are connected to a printer, and a coloured printer.
    same goes for the venus lab. you pay money on to you account in the print room and you print away. colour pages are 40 cent i think a page and balck is 9 cent i think.
    not the cheapest for a project.
    the snap photo place in the courtyard is cheaper. bring in the memory stick and give it to them and show what you want printed.

On that note if you bring anything into snap, or any other printing place for that fact, make sure your project is in pdf format as word can sometimes make the project jump with all the new versions of it out there.

Also: Netbooks and tablets are a handy way of accessing ulwireless and not requiring to queue for a pc. They have come down drastically in price! Also smart phones are handy for accessing e-mail!

If you're an android user this app will automatically silence your phone while in class, all you need to do is give it your timetable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

You can do it- It can be quite fiddly at first to get it to work but I have done it (albeit minus some of my hair afterwards.... :D )

When connected to the UL wireless or plugged in in the library click start and run and go to \\payprint64.ul.campus

It'll ask for your username and password - put UL\ before your username (Your ID). It should then give you the printers you can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corridon69

If you have a car buy slabs from the fine wines partystore (delta business park is the address i think its about a 10 min drive) they only sell by the slab, i helps save a few euro(e.g 24 cans of druids 25 euro). For the morning after the Eden in the main building has the cheapest and nicest hot chicken rolls!

corridon69 wrote: »
    For the morning after the Eden in the main building has the cheapest and nicest hot chicken rolls!

Which block/floor is that in?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corridon69

Cant think now off the top of my head just go in the main doors of the main building take thecurved staircase on the left than walk out to your left again and into the stairway and go up one floor you should see signs for it. Its bright green and its hard to miss.

corridon69 wrote: »
    Cant think now off the top of my head just go in the main doors of the main building take thecurved staircase on the left than walk out to your left again and into the stairway and go up one floor you should see signs for it. Its bright green and its hard to miss.

Above the Student Admin offices?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Enjoy every day.

It'll be the best 4 years of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Above the Student Admin offices?

Yeah, exactly. I think it's E block, first floor (as in, floor 1, which is actually the 2nd floor).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

where's room ERB001 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

iPwnage wrote: »
    where's room ERB001 ??

Engineering Research Building head toward the living bridge from the main courtyard and it's the first building on left beside the steps leading to the foundation carpark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Bring your own phone charger if it's not a Nokia... :pac:

Advertisement