Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for first years!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

I need a bit of help here! I thought that Labs and Tutorials werent starting til week 3 but apparantly they started week 1 and ive been missing out on all of them! How do i know if im in Lab group 2A or 2B if i haven't been assigned to one yet?

Im so confused! :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Cawcheen wrote: »
    I need a bit of help here! I thought that Labs and Tutorials werent starting til week 3 but apparantly they started week 1 and ive been missing out on all of them! How do i know if im in Lab group 2A or 2B if i haven't been assigned to one yet?

they normally dont start till week 2 or 3 depending on the lectures. if you went to the lectures they should have said. also check sulis and your student email

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Please tell me your not doing engineering?!?!?! I thought the same too!!!

garv123 wrote: »
    they normally dont start till week 2 or 3 depending on the lectures. if you went to the lectures they should have said. also check sulis and your student email

Ive been to the lectures and there was no word them having started yet and i've been checking my sulis and student email quite frequently as well.. Just got an email from a lecturer saying i have to go to her office asap. I think its only on one of my modules that the labs have already started.. well hopefully anyway or i'll already be trailing behind..not the best start to the year!
    mtb_kng wrote: »

Nah, im not. Im doing Language,Lit and Film so you're probably safe :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Ive been to the lectures and there was no word them having started yet and i've been checking my sulis and student email quite frequently as well.. Just got an email from a lecturer saying i have to go to her office asap. I think its only on one of my modules that the labs have already started.. well hopefully anyway or i'll already be trailing behind..not the best start to the year!

Nah, im not. Im doing Language,Lit and Film so you're probably safe :L

ask the lecturer after each lecture then and they'll tell you.

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    ask the lecturer after each lecture then and they'll tell you.

Will do, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Hybrid_Theory

mtb_kng wrote: »

Don't worry engineering labs and tutorials aren't starting till week 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DR.Magoo

If you are living in a house with a good few people, learn to cherish toilet paper. It's never there when you most need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

A week and a half into it,
    Don't think any of my labs and tutorials are starting this week (thank Jesus)
    And have Computer Science labs somewhere too.
    Supposed to go to one yesterday but got up late but arrived at the Main Building (the mini-Louvre) with 3 minutes to spare.
    I stopped looking and admitted defeat 10 minutes after labs had started after trying (and failing) to find A0060B.
    Now I'm familiar with the letters for blocks and all that, A is for Block A :cool:
    But when in a rush to find them you throw caution to the wind and briskly walk in one direction. Now level 0 (2nd floor) is where I started, right in front of DG061, which by the way I love as its the easiest room to find EVER :D, and ran towards block C, hoping my knowledge of the alphabet would lead me to Block A.
    The amount of dead ends in the place is unreal!
    I usually start to worry when I the tumbleweeds that roll by outnumber the students I see en route.
    Anyway I threw in the towel when I couldn't find Block A, which is in past the Restaurants I believe, but I gave up the ghost and retreated back to the library where I looked over my Maths notes, the smell of failure making my eyes water, along with the sweat excreted caused by my rush to find the unknown. I'll just go to the Shummer building, or something like that, the one next to the Kemmy Building, in future cos thats smaller and easier to find my way around :D

And I'm sorry if this isn't the place for it and I'll throw in my week and a half's worth of advise in a minute but what is with the floor names!
    G - Ground (Acceptable)
    0 - Floor 1 (Confusing but go on...)
    M - Mezotone or something like that.. (Why...)
    Then 1 and 2 (Floors 4 and 5)
    Just noticed first 3 floors spell G0M, a childish insult from myparts :P

Anyway, my advice, learned from above experience.
    If you see a room on your timetable that you haven't seen the door of in the Uni, sweet Jesus, go and look for it beforehand.
    And try and get to room/hall 5/10 minutes beforehand.
    Reason 1 is in case you lose your way, you have time in hand to find it again.
    Reason 2 is because seats, in the modules I'm doing anyway, are scarce. Very scarce. For some reason people avoid the middle of rows as the concept of sitting next to strangers in a hall full of people you don't know is unbearable for some people. So for people like me, who turn up a minute early or late, come into a hall full of people, with empty seats galore in the middle, single seats scattered everywhere, but the outside seats taken up, plus normally 2 or 3 in as well, there is a noticeable difference between being afraid to sitting next to a stranger, and walking into a lecture hall full of maybe 500/600 people, spotting a seat and having to shuffle past numerous strangers, with either your crotch or your rear brushing against their refill pads and pens and occasionally themselves, tripping over bags and the like to get to your seat. I have done this once, and the reception I got from it wasn't great.
    I don't like sitting on steps for a lecture when I see empty seats. In fact it breaks my heart. So don't be like me. Show up early. Get your seat. And please, sit in the middle.
    Oh, and if you see someone you know (to look at) as in doing your course and seen them in one of your lectures and you're unsure of where to go. Follow them. Better chance of finding your next lecture by following someone who might be in it, than taking a stab in the dark and picking a building, floor level, block and number, although that would be more fun.

8 days into my college life and already dishing out advice gained by learning from previous experiences.
    Humiliation makes you remember things better.
    Anyway I've a 9 O clock lecture tomorrow so best get to sleep.
    Lack of sleep... Another one of my downfalls.

One last tip.
    If you're lost and passing other people,
    Don't backtrack, just walk up to an empty room,
    Look at the door, nod, maybe even mumble to yourself,
    Then, with a straight face that gives off the impression that you know where you are going, then backtrack.
    Or ask them for directions, depends how damaged you're pride already is. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

And I'm sorry if this isn't the place for it and I'll throw in my week and a half's worth of advise in a minute but what is with the floor names!
    G - Ground (Acceptable)
    0 - Floor 1 (Confusing but go on...)
    M - Mezotone or something like that.. (Why...)
    Then 1 and 2 (Floors 4 and 5)
    Just noticed first 3 floors spell G0M, a childish insult from myparts :P

Here is an easier way to remember the main building floors and letters

Blocks A-E go clockwise when looking at the white house (big white building) if you stand in the middle of the main building by the fountain

As for the floors, as an easy way to remember

G= Ground
    O= Over-Ground
    M= More Over ground (I think it actually stands for mezanine)
    1,2,3 etc = floors above M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

A0060B is the Venus Labs! Easiest way is if you go outside from the back of DG016 and walk around the outside to the opposite side of the fountain and go in the door there.

Or walk out of Red Raisin toward the Fishtank, go left and down the stairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

The problem with UL is it is built on a sloping site. Level 0 isnt all across the main building, for instance there is no level 0 at the venus labs end of the building.

The M is for mezzanine, reason being is it is a mezzanine floor! As you walk along the corridor you can look down on the labs and rooms. The indoor running track is also an example of a mezzanine to try and explain it differently. A mezzanine is a floor that doesnt quite cover the floor below it.

Either way, you will get used to it in no time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    The problem with UL is it is built on a sloping site. Level 0 isnt all across the main building, for instance there is no level 0 at the venus labs end of the building.

The M is for mezzanine, reason being is it is a mezzanine floor! As you walk along the corridor you can look down on the labs and rooms. The indoor running track is also an example of a mezzanine to try and explain it differently. A mezzanine is a floor that doesnt quite cover the floor below it.

Either way, you will get used to it in no time!

i always thought it was just so people could spell gom on their way up the stairs:D:D

my tip would be that the attics in kilmurry make a great place to hide people when security come a knocking.

also pints in javas/scholars are far better than those in the the stables...especially guinness

also if you plan on spending your weekends in limerick and you play rugby/soccer...try and look into joining a club here.. i did and its been my smartest decision of college so far...most rugby teams have 3rds teams crying out for players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

freyners wrote: »

also pints in javas/scholars are far better than those in the the stables...especially guinness

Javas is just damn better full stop ;)

Advertisement