Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What injections should new pup have?

• 02-09-2011 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Got a little Samoyed yesterday....9 weeks old...gorgeous. I got vet card sayin that she had her first shots and was chipped. Due next visit next week. But what injections exactly should she get? Have heard stories of vets charging a fortune for stuff that the dog doesnt need. So does anyone know what order the shots should be given, what ages, and rough cost? I assume I can just bring the card with me to a different vet, and they will know what to give...just don't want to be fleeced. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I highly doubt a vet can give the dog more injections than she needs without you noticing. Some give a parvo shot at six weeks, some dont, but she should definitely have the 7in1 vaccination now, the booster should be done when she's between 11 and 12 weeks. Cost depends on the vet. Usually looking at about 40euro+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 PeaSoup

With vaccinations there really is no such thing as getting fleeced.

Seriously, I'm a vet student who probably won't earn any money cause i'm such a ridiculous softy but I can't emphasis how important it is. Without offending anyone, some dog breeders claim they have vaccinated but have only covered one disease (typically Parvo) or even given vaccine incorrectly. The vaccines can only be out of the fridge for max about 6hours or they really start to loose their efficacy and should be adminstered under the skin. Get your vet to check the chip and have your dog registered under your name via the website.

Your dogs needs two sets vaccinations at approx 8-9 weeks and again at 10-12 weeks. They will be given in one combined injection. The diseases covered include Canine distemper, Canine Infectious Hepatitis, Canine parvovirus and Leptospirosis. This is very important for their health and will cost about 50 euro each time.

You can also cover you dog against Kennel cough, the name is misleading as it's not just found in kennels. In any place dogs congregate you can find the causative factors Canine parainfluenzavirus, Canine adenovirus 2 and Bordetella. These illness can become serious in some cases but mostly it is an irritating and debilitating disease best to increase your chances of avoiding. It's more or less the equivalent of whooping cough in children.

All the best with your new family member!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Got my pup vaccinated recently. He had no vaccines when we got him. Vet charged €50 when we went in at 8 weeks and that covered the 2nd one aswell. Got Microchip done along with second vaccine so cost €20 for that.

Advertisement