Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

portable foldable car seat

• 02-09-2011 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a portable fold-able car seat for my 1year old child. I don't own a car nor will do in the near or distant future but live in Dublin and although i get public transport (which can be difficult as if a buggy is already on the bus then you are refused entry) it would be nice to have the option of getting a taxi, also when I meet up with relatives they always offer a lift home but I have to turn it down due to no car seat.

So I am in desperate need of a fold-able portable car seat that I can put in the end of the buggy or even fit into the buggy seating so my travel options are not so limited.

Not too concerned about the price as the convenience would make it priceless to me :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

edellc wrote: »
    I'm looking for a portable fold-able car seat for my 1year old child. I don't own a car nor will do in the near or distant future but live in Dublin and although i get public transport (which can be difficult as if a buggy is already on the bus then you are refused entry) it would be nice to have the option of getting a taxi, also when I meet up with relatives they always offer a lift home but I have to turn it down due to no car seat.

So I am in desperate need of a fold-able portable car seat that I can put in the end of the buggy or even fit into the buggy seating so my travel options are not so limited.

Not too concerned about the price as the convenience would make it priceless to me :)

I do not think that they exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Not for that age anyway... they do have this though for when the child is older

http://www.boostapak.com/home.html

Ideally a child that young should still be rear facing. If you need a taxi, there's this guy

http://childfriendlytaxi.ie/

He's great, some taxi companies charge you for going back to base to collect the car seat, whereas he won't as he has them in his boot anyway. Always best to book in advance with him, because he's popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

^^^^

thanks for the taxi link

but I am more needing one for when I go out with the family I tend to meet them where ever they are going for the day and then get an offer of a lift home but cant take it due to no car seat

also with the taxi the page says to book in advance which is not something that is convenient to me and thats what I need

there seems to be an abundance of them in America with something called a five point system but you seem to need a hook at the back of the seat which the cabs over there seem to have but dont think we have hooks on the cars over here

you really would think there would be something out there :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I cant imagine anything that can be folded and put under a buggy would be solid enough to keep a child safe if it was involved in a crash. Would you not just buy a normal one and keep it at home? Or leave it in your relatives home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

so I have just spent the last number of hours searching for a portable foldable car seat for my one year old and it really does seem that I am now confined to public transport for the next two years at least

I'm very sad about this surely manufactures know there is a gap in the market for this kind of thing. I know that it is just alien not to own a car in this day and age but people like me do exist I watch them as we pass them on the bus and they are not allowed on as I am on the bus with my buggy.

I am now confined to not going on day trip with my relatives as it takes hours to get to and from and realistically I need to be home for himselves bedtime at 7pm, I wont be able to bring him down to my partners family as dragging a big car seat, suitcases, buggy, travel cot and so on, on the train is just not fun....roll on the next two years so I can actually buy a booster seat

sorry moan over I'm just in shock that there is actually nothing out there :-(

• Advertisement

I reckon foxy06 has hit the nail on the head there, I'm sure it's been thought of but they just can't get it safe enough to manufacture....

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

Was there not something like this on The Apprentice this year? It folded into a backpack. They were pitching it to some Argos type chain of shops in France.

Minxie123 wrote: »
    Was there not something like this on The Apprentice this year? It folded into a backpack. They were pitching it to some Argos type chain of shops in France.

Possibly the Boost A Pak I posted earlier on in the thread? It's for older children though.

Taxis are exempt from the law regarding car seats so you can take your baby in a taxi without one. To be honest though, it's not something you'd want to do often. I did once but won't again. It was a bit nerve wrecking.

I will have the same problem myself once my girl grows out of her maxi cosi. I will probably just buy a car seat to keep in my mother's car, not much else to be done really. Could you buy a seat and ask your relatives to hold on to it? Or keep it yourself and have them collect you when you go out for the day? If you're just going straight to meet them maybe you could even fit the seat under your buggy or in a large backpack. I know these aren't particularly elegant solutions but better than spending those extra hours on the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Not a parent but worked in retail selling buggies/car seats etc. The amount of regulations and safety criteria that are needed to make a car seat these days are such that any type that could fold wouldn't have the stability or impact protection that is needed, the reason they are big and rigid and is because they follow all these safety guidelines, so I doubt you'll find anything like that you're looking for. Anything that was lightweight and flexible enough to fold up under a buggy wouldn't be any more than a glorified harness and would provide little or no protecton in a car, other than to confine the child.

• Advertisement
Advertisement