Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 50mb over wireless

Options
  • 02-09-2011 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

This may have been answered before but i just got UPC 50mbps BB installed and the home computer using the network connection gets a nice 45-47mbps on speedtest, but my work computer that is located in the back room works over wireless, but the max connection speed i can get is 18mbps.

what sort of new equipment or settings do i need for my work computer to get 40+ mbps connection speed, I need it more so on my work computer as i need to download alot of uncompressed video files that are sometimes 4gig in size.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Wireless n, you probably have g.

You need an n router and n card for laptop/desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

A cable. Wireless is very susceptible to RF interference. If you are using it for work you really need a cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Hunter px1

FSL wrote: »
    A cable. Wireless is very susceptible to RF interference. If you are using it for work you really need a cable.

no chance my wife would let me drill a hole in 2 walls and have a cable running from both rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hunter px1 wrote: »
    I need it more so on my work computer as i need to download alot of uncompressed video files that are sometimes 4gig in size.

Its madness to even consider this over wireless, run a cable.

• Advertisement

cgarrad wrote: »

Curious how good they going to be, don't believe the hype. I've not had much success with homeplugs, they can be hit or miss and can add some serious latency, even in a brand new house with new cabling. A cat5 cable is guaranteed to do gigabit, these homeplugs may or may not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Curious how good they going to be, don't believe the hype. I've not had much success with homeplugs, they can be hit or miss and can add some serious latency, even in a brand new house with new cabling. A cat5 cable is guaranteed to do gigabit, these homeplugs may or may not work.

Have to agree on CAT5....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Hunter px1 wrote: »
    no chance my wife would let me drill a hole in 2 walls and have a cable running from both rooms.

How about getting some exterior grade cable taking it out of the first room and then into the room you want it in?

FSL wrote: »
    How about getting some exterior grade cable taking it out of the first room and then into the room you want it in?

Exactly. You can neatly tack cat5 under the plaster plinth keeping it out of view, run it behind downpipes to the attic, just plan your route

Advertisement