Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My current desktop wallpaper

Options
  • 02-09-2011 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭

Summertime at Israel's farm (Orbx). In such a pleasant, bucolic atmosphere, the A2A Cub has to be the aircraft of choice. What's the hurry?

Stork

cubOnStrip.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Wicked :D

Orbx are the gods I sacrafice default scenery to... I can't go back... it just feels crap without thier amazing work.

Nice one on the a2a cub too, I've got that with the accusim, I deeply enjoy scaring the **** out of Heidi... I'm a bitch like that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

Firekitten wrote: »
    Wicked :D

Orbx are the gods I sacrafice default scenery to... I can't go back... it just feels crap without thier amazing work.

Nice one on the a2a cub too, I've got that with the accusim, I deeply enjoy scaring the **** out of Heidi... I'm a bitch like that :P

On the same page again, I see. I've taken Heidi for a ride a couple of times (eh? what?), but she blocks the view forward too much, so I mostly leave her on the ground. Of course, I always selected her nervous personaility and did lots of spins, heh, heh. Who'd have guessed that a pleasant little plane like the Cub would bring out the sadist in people?

Incidentally, I posted that screenshot on my VFC's forum too, and believe it or not, one of the other guys had already taken the exact same shot: same place, same viewpoint (within a couple of yards) and the A2A Cub, but with a different paintjob. The only difference was that his pic was in winter and mine was in summer. Strange...or perhaps just a testament to the inspiring views provided by Orbx scenery?

Stork

2011-8-29_6-44-33-976.jpg
    Orbx Does indeed rock... I've actually gone back to flying simply, to look around... I found a mining camp with a dirt strip the other night, not on any maps, just waiting to be found... detailed little place, huts, diggers, cars, small strip with a wind sock, and that was it .... out in the middle of nowhere... Good job I was practicing my dead reconing in the area for the bush routes I fly for the VA... or I'd never have known it was there.

Firekitten wrote: »
    Orbx Does indeed rock... I've actually gone back to flying simply, to look around... I found a mining camp with a dirt strip the other night, not on any maps, just waiting to be found... detailed little place, huts, diggers, cars, small strip with a wind sock, and that was it .... out in the middle of nowhere... Good job I was practicing my dead reconing in the area for the bush routes I fly for the VA... or I'd never have known it was there.

Nice pic. Is that the 206?

Navigation is fun. Another of the things I like about Orbx or UTX scenery, is that combined with real VFR charts (e.g. www.skyvector.com), you can plan your flight for navigation with DR and/or pilotage. One of the best things about FSX (or FS9) is that you can leave the map alone, turn the GPS off and navigate the hard way.

Stork

Carenado's 206 indeed, my bush baby... Completely upgraded avionics, systerms, and generally accurised...

Up in BC, Rnav is a dirty word... it doesnt exist, except the occasional airport with a 50mile NDB... and thats rare. Most of the time, its DR, or gps routes... its simply the only thing available... to that end, I Have a rather pretty gns 530 in the cockpit, but its a safety measure a lot of the time, I know the islands and several routes by heart.

• Advertisement

Do you have any VFR charts for Canada? I've been trying to get my hands on some, but no luck.

I use Plan-G for areas without chart coverage, but it would be nice to work with the real thing.

Tell me more about those changes you made to the 206. I don't have it, but the reviews seem to be pretty positive. I already have the Carenado 152, 172, 182, Piper Saratoga, Mooney M20J, Bonanza F33, Piper Seneca and Beech Baron 58. I wasn't happy about the Baron release, though, so Carenado is on my naughty list at the moment.

Stork

standard 206, the fsx native version, is one of the best bushplanes you can get. Its tough, its light on its wings, and its stable... you can sit near stall, and nearly hover the damn thing. Graphics wise, its low poly, and made up with bumpmaps to give it detail without the significant impact of modeling the detail. (Makes a big difference) Internally, its got all you need, decent vc, good avonics, great carenado gagues, Personally, flying in areas with nearly no vors, and few NDBs, I fitted first, a gns 430, which was easy, radar altimeter, for amphibian ops, and reality xp gagues. New vc textues, new other bits and pieces, now a gns530, and ben king kn90 radios... Mostly to advance my ifr, and navigational capabilities... its not 'cheating' its enhancing my ability to aviate... I dont have the usual nav tools, and if the weather comes down, which it does in BC, you're ****ed unless you can get out again.
    Standard flight performance is good, its stable at low speed, maneuverable. Its got a very gentle accelerated stall, and you can aproach steeply, and in fairly hefty crosswinds with a very large effective rudder. Its not a pretty fast mooney, or piper, but it does the job, where they wont. Brakes are a tad soft, but thats a cessna thing in general. Flying out of paved, long well maintained runways wont teach you that one ;)
    My recomendation? every bush aviator should have one...

Thanks. I just bought the RealityXP T-Gauges myself and I'm trying them out in my (free) RealAir 172. They seem to work OK except for the popups, but that might be interference from EZ-Doc. I wasn't too impressed at first because I couldn't even read the barometric pressure setting on the altimeter, until I made a Shift key popup for it. Wow, what a difference. I'll definitely be getting the N gauges next. Not so sure about the GPS units though. I get all the functionality I want from the Friendly Panels or SimFlyer versions. Mind you, if they were half the price I'd probably have them.

Stork

Oh im not using the gps units by them... cba... used the 430 off the cessna caravan, and the 530 came off the 337 :P Why buy new gauges when you can use what you have? :D
    2011-9-2_15-34-43-616.jpg
    2011-9-2_13-54-28-16.jpg
    My 206, with and without her floats.... (the current fleet expansion paintjob)

Advertisement