Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedy Ticket Cancelled, not refunded booking fees

Options
  • 02-09-2011 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

So I booked to go see Mark Watson from a ticket agent online a few months ago. The concert was cancelled last week, but I was only refunded the ticket price, not the booking fee, it amounts to a fiver as I booked for a few people. I'm kind of miffed because not only have they shot down my evening they also charged me for the pleasure. Are they allowed to do this ? Considering in general customer law here is very strong, it seems dodgy to be able to just charge people for cancelling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It was no joke was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

When you bought them, there must have been some terms and conditions you agreed to.

Did you read them? What did they say about cancelled shows?

Who did you book with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Tickets.ie was the company, no doubtless the terms cover it, but plenty of companies right stuff into there terms thinking it will somehow allow them circumvent the law, of course I could be out of luck too, either way, this seemed like the place to ask.

Thanks for that hilarious one liner ejmaztec :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lmartin

It's not exactly customer friendly... but :-

http://tickets.ie/Help.aspx/Faq?qid=15
    In most cases refunds are for the basic cost of the tickets purchased as booking and postage fees are non-refundable, as per our Terms & Conditions.

imitation wrote: »
    Tickets.ie was the company, no doubtless the terms cover it, but plenty of companies right stuff into there terms thinking it will somehow allow them circumvent the law, of course I could be out of luck too, either way, this seemed like the place to ask.

Thanks for that hilarious one liner ejmaztec :rolleyes:

Event Cancellation / Rescheduling

Event Cancellation:
    "From time to time, events are cancelled by the promoter, band or venue.
    Should this happen, we will try to contact you as early as possible by e-mail, with the e-mail address you have supplied at the time of booking.
    To gain a refund on tickets for a cancelled event, tickets must be returned by registered post to: Tickets.ie, P.O. Box 10763, Dublin 1, Ireland. Refund requests must be received by Tickets.ie within 90 days of the original date of the cancelled event. Requests received after that date will not be entertained.
    In most cases refunds are for the basic cost of the tickets purchased as booking and postage fees are non-refundable"

I think you are on a loser here. They did provide the service to you. They facilitated your purchase of tickets. Just because the show got cancelled, they did their bit. If anything is responsible, its the promoter/artist, but good luck getting anything from them.

Thats my take on it anyway. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Do a charge back on your credit card.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Do a charge back on your credit card.

You could try that, but as tickets.ie supplied the tickets, and the OP agreed to the fact that booking fees were non refundable, how can he claim he did not get what he paid for?

He got the tickets, its the show that was cancelled.

The credit card company will not accept a charge back to a condition the OP agreed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You could try that, but as tickets.ie supplied the tickets, and the OP agreed to the fact that booking fees were non refundable, how can he claim he did not get what he paid for?

He got the tickets, its the show that was cancelled.

The credit card company will not accept a charge back to a condition the OP agreed to.

Non-refundable doesn't apply when the supplier (or their agent) is the one cancelling.

Could a travel agent cancel all the holidays they booked , giving the non-refundable excuse ?

Thats a fair point but shows attract a separte booking fee, holidays dont.

A travel agent gets a cut from the cost of the holiday, thats their wages.

Ticket sellers dont. (I think).

The ticket seller did their job, and accordingly is entitled to be paid. If they didnt actually supply the ticket, then they didnt do their job, so shouldnt get paid.

In this case, the OP bought a ticket for a show off tickets.ie. They supplied it.
    Job done.

Using the same logic of your example, If you take a car to be fixed, the mechanic will charge you for their time to find the fault, even if you decide its not getting fixed. They did their job, its not their fault you didnt get it fixed.

Advertisement