Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MW3 L.A. event Live stream

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Thanks forgot that started today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Finally no more last stand/second chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

elite = ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

No thanks activision. I don't want a game that in total will cost over €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Trevor451 wrote: »
    No thanks activision. I don't want a game that in total will cost over €100.

100eu in first year of ownership. then add 50 quid every year.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Seen the new trailers on gametrailers.

What a steaming pile of perks.

Could be the first COD game I will not buy, all went downhill after COD4. The past 2 have just tried to be COD4 with added glitz and fancy crap that is not needed. I hope BF3 kills this franchise, but...console fanboys will cream themselves over it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

elite = ****

why ? Its only £35 (Don't know how much it is for you guys) and you get all the DLC + the other **** for the year (This includes black ops maps aswel). Works out cheaper than buying the actually map packs. Seems like a better deal for me (Or anyone that buys the map packs). So for the game + all the DLC for 2 games it'll probably cost me less than £70 (Providing tesco are doing their cheap deal again).

The game itself... i'll reserve judgement until i play it, some interesting stuff but also quite a bit of stuff that could ruin the game. We'll see tho.

Magill wrote: »
    why ? Its only £35 (Don't know how much it is for you guys) and you get all the DLC + the other **** for the year (This includes blop ops maps aswel). Works out cheaper than buying the actually map packs. Seems like a better deal for me (Or anyone that buys the map packs). So for the game + all the DLC for 2 games it'll probably cost me less than £70 (Providing tesco are doing their cheap deal again).

The game itself... i'll reserve judgement until i play it, some interesting stuff but also quite a bit of stuff that could ruin the game. We'll see tho.

It works out cheaper if you pass on this mediocre game and go with BF3.

BF3 Limited Edition
    http://www.gamestop.ie/39732_PC_Battlefield_3_Limited_Edition_Physical_Warfare_Pack.aspx

MW3 (standard editon)
    http://www.gamestop.ie/41492_PC_Call_Of_Duty_Modern_Warfare_3.aspx

Even worse if you want to buy this game off steam €60! Thats not valves fault. Its just plain old activison being greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

COD fans has West and Zamplellas direction been lost on the COD series?

Afaik they making the next MOH for EA with Respawn which is ironic in a way :p

It works out cheaper if you pass on this mediocre game and go with BF3.

BF3 Limited Edition
    http://www.gamestop.ie/39732_PC_Battlefield_3_Limited_Edition_Physical_Warfare_Pack.aspx

MW3 (standard editon)
    http://www.gamestop.ie/41492_PC_Call_Of_Duty_Modern_Warfare_3.aspx

Even worse if you want to buy this game off steam €60! Thats not valves fault. Its just plain old activison being greedy.

JJJJJAYYYYYUS..... why are BF fanboys so anoying !!!!!!!! Its as if EA recruited the worst CoD fanboys to troll the internet !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Because CoD fanboys are so deluded :p</troll>

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

They could've atleast change the sound effects and HUD to make it look like a new game. -_-

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

the console must of had no effort at all put into the design.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The series has evolved from a cracking multiplayer game into nothing more than a kiddies game imo, bling bling,kill streak,spam fest
    yawn! zzzz!
    The console fanboys will love it with the majority knowing no better i suppose.
    Just my personal opinion ofcourse :)
    Maybe im just getting old :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

No, you are right.

If you took each game and looked at it, COD:MW2 and COD:BO and the latest iteration, have become a blingfest.

I have fond memories of COD4...and look back at COD2 with a smile , amazing games that revolutionised the genre. Now it's just the same game with so much crap spamming your screen.
    Radar, Killstreak, 500 pts, Perks, players names with customised callsigns etc etc....and I'll get shot down for sayin it, but they require minimal skill.

Give me BF3 or TF2 (or remake MOH:AA )

the console must of had no effort at all put into the design.

Just like the game then. :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It just looks dull and flat.
    That cobblestone texture used throughout was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Watched the multiplayer trailer earlier in work. Mentioned that it looked exactly like MW2 but with a couple of more killstreaks. Got jumped on by CoD fanboys.

Went for drinks after work. One lad says he doesn't like the slower pace of the Battlefield series. Gets jumped on by a bunch of BF fanboys.

I swear, not since the days of Sonic and Mario have I seen such bile being spat at people who love different franchises. At least things have changed somewhat since then though, what with one title being faster and flashier with a design which encourages players to collect **** in order to survive longer and the other being a slower, more open and tactical affair which encourages the player to become more intimate with their environment in order to survive longer.

Oh...wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Elite is a joke, as is the fact that people are naive enough to think that they're somehow getting a deal with such a stupid subscription (Or a subscription on top of a subscription if you're on the 360), especially when the game hasn't even been released yet and they've already announced they're going to have 20 pieces of DLC afterward.

Nothing's changed. Same engine, same weapon models with slight alterations, same reload animations, sound effects, death animations and even the same recycled weapons. Throw in the mandatory wave defense mode that seems to be the norm for most games this generation and you an overpriced turd that the CoD fanboys are going to lap up until the cows come home, and I've definitely seen some of them here.

• Advertisement

1630620-41766_22912463_4183_n_super.jpg

Seriously tho guys, nobody forces anyone to play CoD... its not beyond the realm of possiblity that people actually enjoy these games :P If there was something else on console that was as fun to play in MP im sure people would be playing it.

Elite is a joke, as is the fact that people are naive enough to think that they're somehow getting a deal with such a stupid subscription (Or a subscription on top of a subscription if you're on the 360), especially when the game hasn't even been released yet and they've already announced they're going to have 20 pieces of DLC afterward.

Nothing's changed. Same engine, same weapon models with slight alterations, same reload animations, sound effects, death animations and even the same recycled weapons. Throw in the mandatory wave defense mode that seems to be the norm for most games this generation and you an overpriced turd that the CoD fanboys are going to lap up until the cows come home, and I've definitely seen some of them here.
    You're berating people from signing up to Elite when the game isn't even out yet feel qualified to claim that nothing has changed? Seriously?

Hypocrisy aside, most of the things you've listed have actually changed, not by much mind you but that's the problem with modern shooters, it's pretty hard for them to look remarkably different unless your engine gets a meaningful upgrade. This of course is something which obviously hasn't changed, it'll have gotten some improvements of course but at this stage, they'll either need a completely new engine or a new renderer for the game to look any different. Neither of which are particularly responsible when your original developer has been rebuilt and development duties are now being split between at least 2 studios.

As for Elite being a joke, well coming from (I assume) someone who isn't a fan of the series then it's not really designed for you. It's clearly there for people who are fans, people who will go out and buy the DLC, will put in the hours to compete in the tournaments, will want to upload their HD videos to the service and who may want to watch the new content being made for the service. Hell, given the prices for the DLC alone, it makes it worthwhile. Of course, that ignores the fact that the map packs are horrendously priced as they are but since that's not going to change soon, looking at Elite on it's own, it's not that bad for what it offers.

Magill wrote: »

Seriously tho guys, nobody forces anyone to play CoD... its not beyond the realm of possiblity that people actually enjoy these games :P If there was something else on console that was as fun to play in MP im sure people would be playing it.

There's no defending mediocrity and greed. People usually play the "Ah well nobody's forcing anyone to play it" card when they've run out of excuses to justify is bad excuse for an expansion pack.
    gizmo wrote: »
    You're berating people from signing up to Elite when the game isn't even out yet feel qualified to claim that nothing has changed? Seriously?

I'm hardly 'berating' people, and I'm pretty sure given the gameplay footage we've seen and past iterations of the Modern Warfare franchise I'm pretty qualified to say nothing has changed. Even the HUD is exactly the same.
    Hypocrisy aside, most of the things you've listed have actually changed, not by much mind you but that's the problem with modern shooters, it's pretty hard for them to look remarkably different unless your engine gets a meaningful upgrade. This of course is something which obviously hasn't changed, it'll have gotten some improvements of course but at this stage, they'll either need a completely new engine or a new renderer for the game to look any different. Neither of which are particularly responsible when your original developer has been rebuilt and development duties are now being split between at least 2 studios.

Yeah, I guess the fact that the original developer was rebuilt is a great excuse for just shoveling out the same crap engine again and again. Activision made something along the lines of $250 million from Black Ops map packs alone and would probably have the most money available to develop any type of engine they want but I guess we should just ease up on the studios since they've had such a hard time! Poor guys! And you can say it's hard to make any meaningful changes to a modern shooter all you want, but when it comes to copy and pasting, Modern Warfare really does take the cake. Nothing substantial has changed at all, unless you call new attachments for the same weapons and slight variations of new killstreaks worth the 60 quid.
    As for Elite being a joke, well coming from (I assume) someone who isn't a fan of the series then it's not really designed for you. It's clearly there for people who are fans, people who will go out and buy the DLC, will put in the hours to compete in the tournaments, will want to upload their HD videos to the service and who may want to watch the new content being made for the service. Hell, given the prices for the DLC alone, it makes it worthwhile. Of course, that ignores the fact that the map packs are horrendously priced as they are but since that's not going to change soon, looking at Elite on it's own, it's not that bad for what it offers.

I was a huge fan of Call of Duty 4 and I've actually gotten back into playing it but it's just been overrun with modders on the 360 version, I doubt the PS3 version is any different. Infinity Ward would never bother their arse fixing that. I bought Modern Warfare 2 because I really did have high hopes for it but the game's an unbalanced mess. Idiots with Interventions running around one shotting everyone from 3 feet away, twats with One Man Army and Danger Close at the beginning of every Search and Destroy match tubing across the map and getting triple kills, rewarding people who sit in corners with overpowered killstreaks, nuke boosting in Free-for-all, the list goes on. The only time the game's actually bearable is when me and my mates go into Search and Destroy lobbies and dick around with riot shields and C4. We garner more enjoyment out of the other team whinging than out of the gameplay itself, quite sad.

If you think that paying €50 a year to a company who do everything in their power to nickle and dime its main playerbase for features that should be free, or at the very least, substantially less, then by all means go ahead. It just sucks for the rest of us who want to spend our money on something that's actually worth it will be paying out the ass in years to come because other developers are just going to follow Activision's example and see how far they can push the boundaries in regards to how much money they can suck out of people. It started with €15 map packs and I shudder to think what the situation will be like when it ends.

Fully agree with the post above. I dont get why people are trying to justify getting ripped off:confused: Seriously?

Fully agree with the post above. I dont get why people are trying to justify getting ripped off:confused: Seriously?

I don't get why we have to justify anything to people who clearly have no intentions of playing the game and their only purpose in posting on a cod related topic/video/article is to troll about how awesome some other game is going to be(in your case.. bf3)... if someone enjoys a game and plays it flat out for 3 or 4 months (Often for an entire year) then what difference does it make if its not on a new engine or if the hud is the same... I dont see anyone jumping on sports games for doing the same thing only putting far less effort into it, fifa is basically the same game every year with modified stats and a new feature or 2.. at least with cod you get an entirely new campaign, 12-15 new maps, new guns/equipment/killstreaks and gamemodes like the wager modes / zombies / survival mode / spec ops etc

If you don't think thats worth the money for you.... then fine, don't buy the bloody game.. but get off your high horse and don't try preaching your crap to people who do think its worth it.

I'm hardly 'berating' people, and I'm pretty sure given the gameplay footage we've seen and past iterations of the Modern Warfare franchise I'm pretty qualified to say nothing has changed. Even the HUD is exactly the same.
    Calling the people who are signing up to Elite naive is pretty much berating. But given the footage we've seen things have changed, not by much as I said but there are clearly new iterations of the things you've listed.
    Yeah, I guess the fact that the original developer was rebuilt is a great excuse for just shoveling out the same crap engine again and again.
    No but it means that if they want an annual release which most of their fans clearly want too, then they're not going to be able to rebuild the game from scratch with a brand new team.
    Activision made something along the lines of $250 million from Black Ops map packs alone and would probably have the most money available to develop any type of engine they want but I guess we should just ease up on the studios since they've had such a hard time! Poor guys!
    Throwing money at a project won't automatically result in a great game, so their revenue from the map packs means nothing in this respect. You can go on a massive hiring spree and hire all the guys you want (within reason) and they're still not guaranteed to deliver a quality game on time.
    And you can say it's hard to make any meaningful changes to a modern shooter all you want, but when it comes to copy and pasting, Modern Warfare really does take the cake. Nothing substantial has changed at all, unless you call new attachments for the same weapons and slight variations of new killstreaks worth the 60 quid.
    Either you didn't watch the videos so far or you're blindly ignoring the fact that the weapon and player models have clearly changed, most of the animations you mentioned are new, the maps are new and all the new killstreaks have new models.

Of course, I'm happy to agree that simply adding new guns/killstreaks to an existing template is extremely lazy from a design perspective but why would they change this when it's proven immensely popular with their fanbase?
    I was a huge fan of Call of Duty 4 and I've actually gotten back into playing it but it's just been overrun with modders on the 360 version, I doubt the PS3 version is any different. Infinity Ward would never bother their arse fixing that. I bought Modern Warfare 2 because I really did have high hopes for it but the game's an unbalanced mess. Idiots with Interventions running around one shotting everyone from 3 feet away, twats with One Man Army and Danger Close at the beginning of every Search and Destroy match tubing across the map and getting triple kills, rewarding people who sit in corners with overpowered killstreaks, nuke boosting in Free-for-all, the list goes on. The only time the game's actually bearable is when me and my mates go into Search and Destroy lobbies and dick around with riot shields and C4. We garner more enjoyment out of the other team whinging than out of the gameplay itself, quite sad.
    While I 100% agree with every point you've made regarding Modern Warfare 2, because you're play an FPS on a console you are, unfortunately, a console noob and hence your opinion is worthless to me. Aren't sweeping generalisations awesome? :)
    If you think that paying €50 a year to a company who do everything in their power to nickle and dime its main playerbase for features that should be free, or at the very least, substantially less, then by all means go ahead. It just sucks for the rest of us who want to spend our money on something that's actually worth it will be paying out the ass in years to come because other developers are just going to follow Activision's example and see how far they can push the boundaries in regards to how much money they can suck out of people. It started with €15 map packs and I shudder to think what the situation will be like when it ends.
    If I think it's what? Fine? As I said above, I don't. I fundamentally disagree with the prices for the individual pieces of DLC, in this case, the map packs. However, as I said above, since this is not going to change any time soon and that there are people out there who will want to buy it all, Elite offers excellent value for those people.

As for that last comment, well I'm torn. I certainly agree that the danger with moves like this and their ensuing popularity is that other developers may decide to implement it in their games too. On the other hand, not having Elite membership has no repercussions for those who don't want it, the number of maps included in the retail game is set to go back up to MW2 levels after the drop in Black Ops (from what I've read at least, I've not played the latter yet) and if I want to watch Will Arnett and Jason Bateman being funny, I'll watch Arrested Development, so if things continue in a similar vein, let them off. If such services do in fact begin to affect the gaming experiences of those who don't wish to fork out extra money for them then I'll grab my pitchfork with everyone else. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Watched the multiplayer trailer earlier in work. Mentioned that it looked exactly like MW2 but with a couple of more killstreaks. Got jumped on by CoD fanboys.

Went for drinks after work. One lad says he doesn't like the slower pace of the Battlefield series. Gets jumped on by a bunch of BF fanboys.

I swear, not since the days of Sonic and Mario have I seen such bile being spat at people who love different franchises. At least things have changed somewhat since then though, what with one title being faster and flashier with a design which encourages players to collect **** in order to survive longer and the other being a slower, more open and tactical affair which encourages the player to become more intimate with their environment in order to survive longer.

Oh...wait.

I love CoD, wasn't too fond of Blops, but looking at the vids of MW3 make me pretty angry at how little effort they put into the game. They have a very successful series and al lot of funds, yet they release the same game again with a new hat. Most of the flak MW3 is getting from fans is deserved imo.

KilOit wrote: »
    I love CoD, wasn't too fond of Blops, but looking at the vids of MW3 make me pretty angry at how little effort they put into the game. They have a very successful series and al lot of funds, yet they release the same game again with a new hat. Most of the flak MW3 is getting from fans is deserved imo.
    Bet you'll still buy it though. :)

Calling the people who are signing up to Elite naive is pretty much berating. But given the footage we've seen things have changed, not by much as I said but there are clearly new iterations of the things you've listed.

Things haven't changed by much, not changing by much translating into how much radical change would go into an expansion pack, which is all this game is.
    No but it means that if they want an annual release which most of their fans clearly want too, then they're not going to be able to rebuild the game from scratch with a brand new team.

I'd rather have an amazing game to last me years rather than a mediocre one annually to do me until the next mediocre title in the release schedule.
    Throwing money at a project won't automatically result in a great game, so their revenue from the map packs means nothing in this respect. You can go on a massive hiring spree and hire all the guys you want (within reason) and they're still not guaranteed to deliver a quality game on time.

It's not throwing money at the project, it's the fact they have the means to do such a project but they're just not arsed. I don't understand why people want to give their money to people who aren't arsed giving you the most bang for your buck.
    Either you didn't watch the videos so far or you're blindly ignoring the fact that the weapon and player models have clearly changed, most of the animations you mentioned are new, the maps are new and all the new killstreaks have new models.

Of course, I'm happy to agree that simply adding new guns/killstreaks to an existing template is extremely lazy from a design perspective but why would they change this when it's proven immensely popular with their fanbase?

So there's been a couple of minor cosmetic alterations to killstreak vehicles and weapon models? My.. Well that.. that almost sounds like an expansion pack! And yeah, if it's broken, don't stop putting out the same game year after year when the masses eat up the same crap over and over again?
    While I 100% agree with every point you've made regarding Modern Warfare 2, because you're play an FPS on a console you are, unfortunately, a console noob and hence your opinion is worthless to me. Aren't sweeping generalisations awesome? :)

That's odd. I'm pretty sure I played Half-Life, Rainbow Six, Counter-Strike, Vietcong and Battlefield 2 pretty regularly on my PC growing up, and oddly enough still do! Try to lay off the elitist PC master race mentality when you don't know the person you're talking to. Well, there's that and just lay off it full stop since it's completely irrelevant.
    If I think it's what? Fine? As I said above, I don't. I fundamentally disagree with the prices for the individual pieces of DLC, in this case, the map packs. However, as I said above, since this is not going to change any time soon and that there are people out there who will want to buy it all, Elite offers excellent value for those people.

A fool and his money and all that.
    As for that last comment, well I'm torn. I certainly agree that the danger with moves like this and their ensuing popularity is that other developers may decide to implement it in their games too. On the other hand, not having Elite membership has no repercussions for those who don't want it, the number of maps included in the retail game is set to go back up to MW2 levels after the drop in Black Ops (from what I've read at least, I've not played the latter yet) and if I want to watch Will Arnett and Jason Bateman being funny, I'll watch Arrested Development, so if things continue in a similar vein, let them off. If such services do in fact begin to affect the gaming experiences of those who don't wish to fork out extra money for them then I'll grab my pitchfork with everyone else. :)

Activision aren't the only publisher on a slippery slope at the moment when it comes to taking their customers for a ride. I'm pretty sure Capcom just announced palette swaps for whatever iteration of Street Fighter they just re-released again for $2.99. This isn't taking into account all of their recent glaringly obvious shortcomings, like undeleteable save files and destroying well known franchises with muck like the latest Resident Evil knee-high wall simulator to come out soon.

• Advertisement

Things haven't changed by much, not changing by much translating into how much radical change would go into an expansion pack, which is all this game is.
    You could look at it that way but no more than the yearly iterations of FIFA and the other annual sports titles. Or even the move from Bad Company 1 to Bad Company 2 which got literally no coverage at all for some reason. Not that that justifies it in any way, I just find the vitriol directed at CoD for the same reasons to be amusing. :)
    I'd rather have an amazing game to last me years rather than a mediocre one annually to do me until the next mediocre title in the release schedule.
    As would I and everyone else I'd imagine. The problem here though is that the CoD fanbase, as it stands, doesn't see these iterations as mediocre.
    It's not throwing money at the project, it's the fact they have the means to do such a project but they're just not arsed. I don't understand why people want to give their money to people who aren't arsed giving you the most bang for your buck.
    Again it's not that they're not arsed, they probably just don't see the point. Why would they when regardless of the quality of the game, each iteration sells more than its predecessor? To them they probably think they've nailed the CoD formula and they have the numbers and indeed review scores to back it up.

At some point the numbers will begin to drop of course and then we may see some evolution in the series. Alternatively, once the studio shake-up settles, we may see the next MW or at least non-Treyarch version (assuming they're still using the IW-tech) come out with a new engine. That will depend a lot on how MW3 and BF3 do I'd wager.
    So there's been a couple of minor cosmetic alterations to killstreak vehicles and weapon models? My.. Well that.. that almost sounds like an expansion pack! And yeah, if it's broken, don't stop putting out the same game year after year when the masses eat up the same crap over and over again?
    Building a single player campaign, playing with the multiplayer modes, adding the survival mode, integrating all of that into Elite and adding all of the new assets may be lazy in the sense that it's not really pushing the design envelope but the work would have gone into that would still bring it above the level of an expansion pack.
    That's odd. I'm pretty sure I played Half-Life, Rainbow Six, Counter-Strike, Vietcong and Battlefield 2 pretty regularly on my PC growing up, and oddly enough still do! Try to lay off the elitist PC master race mentality when you don't know the person you're talking to. Well, there's that and just lay off it full stop since it's completely irrelevant.
    You most definitely missed the joke there. At least now you know how CoD fans feel when people make pointless generalisations about them. :)
    A fool and his money and all that.
    23 million customers is a lot of people to ignore, fools or not.
    Activision aren't the only publisher on a slippery slope at the moment when it comes to taking their customers for a ride. I'm pretty sure Capcom just announced palette swaps for whatever iteration of Street Fighter they just re-released again for $2.99. This isn't taking into account all of their recent glaringly obvious shortcomings, like undeleteable save files and destroying well known franchises with muck like the latest Resident Evil knee-high wall simulator to come out soon.
    Are you referring to Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition or the costume packs for said version? If it's the former then I'm pretty sure the Fighting Game forum lads can rip that one to shreds. As for the costume pack, again it hurts no one and is just there for those who want a bit of a change if they're playing the game all the time. At some point a developer has to say "that's enough" when it comes to content included at retail, so as long as the content left over doesn't hurt the main game in any way I think it's fine.

Yet for each of Capcoms failings there's the likes of MvC3 and Dead Rising 2 new IP such as Asura's Wrath and the awesome looking Dragon's Dogma. As for Resident Evil, well one bad iteration doesn't ruin a series in fairness, maybe it'd be best to wait until RE6 before coffins start being nailed shut. ;)

Advertisement