Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployed Lad wants to be President

Options
  • 02-09-2011 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Who was that guy on the news who wants to be president? I think his name was Sweeney.

What is he thinking? It might be great to have a "normal" guy running but he's obviously going to get nowhere. Who is going to back him in the first place?

Wonder what his policies are. Doesn't it also cost money to run? Surely he'd be better keeping that money to put food on the table instead of getting his face on the RTÉ News for a few minutes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Sligo must really be the laughing stock of the country from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Who was that guy on the news who wants to be president? I think his name was Sweeney.

What is he thinking? It might be great to have a "normal" guy running but he's obviously going to get nowhere. Who is going to back him in the first place?

Wonder what his policies are. Doesn't it also cost money to run? Surely he'd be better keeping that money to put food on the table instead of getting his face on the RTÉ News for a few minutes.

Gary smylie is his name i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

I'd vote for Gary every day of the week.

Streets ahead of any of the other candidates!!

He has more wit & charisma than 10 Paddy Hillarys.

Smylie for President!!

Whoop whoop:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fionntan g

check this champ out http://www.presidentmulqueen.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Well, at least he's trying to find a job. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

fionntan g wrote: »

That lad should have a shovel in his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'd vote for him.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I'd vote for him.

Yes but he would have to be nominated first and besides that it would be a wasted vote.

You would probably be one of only 500 people or less who would vote for him. Well 500 might be harsh. We'd give him the population of Sligo so or even Connaught. It still wouldn't be enough for him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

If he could actually fulfil any of his promises, I'd vote for him. I particularly like his "Comhrá Café" idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Fair play to him for attempting it.

President Dole has a ring to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Yes but he would have to be nominated first and besides that it would be a wasted vote.

You would probably be one of only 500 people or less who would vote for him. Well 500 might be harsh. We'd give him the population of Sligo so or even Connaught. It still wouldn't be enough for him though.

I guess any vote that doesn't win is a wasted vote in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I'd vote for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

is the presidential election decided by first past the post, or are votes transferrable??

and with a name like that, id vote for him,

That Mulqueen boy, does he even tell us his first name?

Where's he from?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Oatesy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

<snip>

Who? Mulqueen or Smylie?

Some lads who think it's a bit of craic to run for the aras...

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

is the presidential election decided by first past the post, or are votes transferrable??

and with a name like that, id vote for him,

im invisible,
    "The [Presidential election] voting shall be by secret ballot and on the system of proportional representation by means of the single transferable vote."
    (Article 12, Section 2, Subsection 3 of the Constitution).

That means it's in the same was as a general election, you vote 1 for your favourite, 2 for your next favourite, Etc.

I remember the first Presidential election I voted in was when Mary Robinson was elected*. The late father of the late Brian Lenihan (also Brian) continually crowed that he got the most first preference votes, so he was the most popular.

* Jaysus lads, that was 21 years ago!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭WANTStoWORK

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Sligo must really be the laughing stock of the country from the outside.

I agree 100%, I mean could you really see this guy in the Aras?????????
    anything for a bit of attention

Advertisement