Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail

• 02-09-2011 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

What the hell is with these chancers? Seriously, a return trip from Limerick to Killarney is 68 euro! That's outlandish, now I know they do deals and that is a great step in the right direction and possibly the only smart move they have done in a long time but seriously the prices are crazy!

I looked then at Dublin and found a train from there to Killareny (latest but still) for a tenner while the same was 34 from Limerick?! How does that even make sense considering the distance..? Disgraceful. Looking at Virgin in the UK, a Birmingham to London train costs about €20 return and that's an even longer distance by almost 100km!

I could fly to the UK for cheaper, it's actually just nuts how ridiculously expensive they are. It doesn't justify the speed at all, you'd swear it was the TGV in France. Just for fun going on the TGV website you can go from London to Paris for €88. Rip Off Ireland is so true.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Obviously no change since the last Irish Rail Happy Traveller thread.:(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056074086

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Comparing a special offer UK fare with full price Irish fare but not comparing Irish special offer with UK special offer?

How crazy is that???

How about comparing UK full price Birmingham to London to Irish rail full price killarney to Dublin.

£144 (€165) v €68

Same with your euro star or airline comparisons - you're comparing the cheapest available price with the full price rail. Totally ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Bus Eireann walk up fares for the trip are as follows, (cheaper if booked online!)
    Service 14
    18.00 : Adult Single
    29.00 : Adult Rtn
    25.50 : Adult Day Rtn
    12.00 : Child Single
    18.50 : Child Return
    16.00 : Child Day Rtn
    15.00 : Student Single
    23.00 : Student Rtn
    25.50 : Adult MW Rtn
    16.00 : Child MW Rtn
    58.00 : Family Rtn
    67.50 : Adult 10 Jny
    66.00 : Student 10 Jny
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1308580332-14.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Why would you get a train from Limerick to Killarney anyway?? :confused: Wouldn't you have to go to Limerick Junction (which is in Tipperary, so the opposite direction) and then get on a Kerry-bound train. Or even have to get on a Cork-bound one and then have to change again in Mallow if that was the case. I'm guessing there's no special offer because there's virtually no demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Oh yes ... everything is cheaper outside Ireland.

I'm just looking there, Amsterdam to Duesseldorf is €112,40 Return

And its less distance than Cork - Dublin.

Although saying that its about 50 euro return if you book well in advance and its off peak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

maxer68 wrote: »
    How about comparing UK full price Birmingham to London to Irish rail full price killarney to Dublin.

£144 (€165) v €68

Same with your euro star or airline comparisons - you're comparing the cheapest available price with the full price rail. Totally ridiculous.

How is that ridiculous? There are MUCH more deals in the UK site... so why would I pick the highest retail there? I would have compared deals but Irish Rail have none so yeah, if I was to book UK I would obvo book cheapest.

number10a wrote: »
    Why would you get a train from Limerick to Killarney anyway?? :confused:

Speed/the bus being 30 euro anyway.

Oh yes ... everything is cheaper outside Ireland.

I'm just looking there, Amsterdam to Duesseldorf is €112,40 Return

And its less distance than Cork - Dublin.

Although saying that its about 50 euro return if you book well in advance and its off peak.

Yes, actually compared to most European countries everything is somewhat cheaper outside Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Resi12 wrote: »
    Yes, actually compared to most European countries everything is somewhat cheaper outside Ireland.

I would say Public Transport in the Netherlands and Germany is quite expensive (NL being more expensive than Germany)

E.G 4 stops on the Tram in Duesseldorf is 2.40 (around 2 Kilometers)
    Amsterdam to Eindhoven is 35 euros return, distance is only 120km and thats the cost, there is no benefit to purchasing in advance.

Its cheaper to Fly than use the ICE, I don't know anyone thats gets it from Munich to Duesseldorf.

The UK Train system is a mess and confusing since its been privatised, sometimes its cheaper to buy a ticket or a longer journey than a shorter one.

No, everything is not cheaper outside Ireland, in fact I wait to travel back to Ireland to buy clothes as theres a 30% saving to be had.

The only things that are significantly cheaper outside of Ireland is Cigarettes and Alcohol.

Here anyway:
    Cars are more expensive
    Motor Tax is Higher
    Petrol is definitely more expensive (1.68 a liter atm)
    Public Transport in General is more expensive nad not great in allot of areas (people always assume everyone lives in Amsterdam :rolleyes:)
    Food is around the same price, the only thing i've seen thats cheaper is coffee.

Perhaps you should live in another European country before you make this wide remarks about how much cheaper it is compared to Ireland.

Advertisement