Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamp removal

• 02-09-2011 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭

Does anyone on here have a loan of a cordless angle grinder to cut off a clamp? I'd just need a lend of it for 5 mins

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Just ring the number on the clamp or the notice you got,them lads will sort it out for you,,dont even need a grinder,,,:P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

Time wrote: »
    Does anyone on here have a loan of a cordless angle grinder to cut off a clamp? I'd just need a lend of it for 5 mins

Apparently what the French do is put superglue in the lock of the clamp. Clamping isn't so prevalent in Paris anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

elaverty wrote: »
    Just ring the number on the clamp or the notice you got,them lads will sort it out for you,,dont even need a grinder,,,:P :P

Just hope someone doesnt put superglue into the lock. Then THEY will have to cut it off....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

elaverty wrote: »

Which would be great if I could afford it/ they were reasonable/ I wasn't legally parked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Don't have one bud.
    Leave air out of Tyre and it might slip off then. Obviously a spare tyre be handy.
    Don't pay the fookers anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Lol, my dad did that a few months back.

Would have loved to have seen the clamper's face the next morning :D

Haha by any chance do you know where he got it from?

It was attatched to the wheel :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

His garden shed. Not much use to you there, I'm afraid ;)

Took him a good while to get it off too - really awkward it was.

Someone in motors part of here said eave the car there for 5-6 days and they remove the clamp. Not helpful if you need the car badly but handy for the people with more than one car

• Advertisement

Or if you have a friend with a car ambulance, tow it home where you can work on it at your leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Go buy a cordless angle grinder...sort yours....drive around town and rent the grinder to others who get clamped....payback period should be very short and you get the satisfaction of fcukin with the bastads!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

OK ,What would happen if you put your own clamp (homemade if need be ) with a note (release fee )over theirs .????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Where in Waterford did you get clamped?

On private land, I assume.

A.

The trouble is, if you do cut the clamp off, you're guilty of criminal damage. However if you manage to get it off without damaging it, there's no come-back.

Some of the clamps have chains attached, and they thread them through the steering rods etc, so you have to do a lot of dismantling to get it off.

However if someone else, unknown to you, has superglued the lock, you'd still have to pay to get them to come along to remove it, but when they can't you can bill them for the extra time of yours they waste cutting it off themselves.

€120 an hour seems reasonable.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Do they not take your registration number? If you were to cut it off and go home can they not track you down?

Yea, it would be a criminal investigation, thats my point.

Clamp is removed now, without paying them I might add

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Nice one, how did you sort it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Can someone show me the relevant legislation allowing private clampers to install clamps on private vehicles on private land?

Someone removes said clamp from their private property (vehicle) than tough luck to the clampers

• Advertisement

jimbojazz wrote: »

Nice one, how did you sort it?

Consaw, I'll post a few pics later.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Consaw, I'll post a few pics later.

Hahahahahaa........you legend:D:D:D

alinton wrote: »
    The trouble is, if you do cut the clamp off, you're guilty of criminal damage. However if you manage to get it off without damaging it, there's no come-back.

If you keep the clamp, they'd never know whether it's been damaged or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

seanybiker wrote: »
    Someone in motors part of here said eave the car there for 5-6 days and they remove the clamp. Not helpful if you need the car badly but handy for the people with more than one car

I know someone who got clamped at the railway station, left it there for the weekend with the clamp on, came back and clamp was gone!

As promised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

so would I:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭TheBody

So what's the story behind you getting clamped? I've read some shocking stories about clampers.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭forfcksake

just piss on the clamp & then call them to take it off! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Fair play to you op , I should have done that myself but was in too much of a hurry when it happned to me in the industrial estate, (Bxxxxxrd had the chain woven through the suspension ) needless to say I know where this clamper and his respective company normally takes advantage of free parking at the weekends with their vans - needless to say I will be getting a lot of value back for my clamping fee in the very near future!!

• Advertisement

Jambo wrote: »
    Fair play to you op , I should have done that myself but was in too much of a hurry when it happned to me in the industrial estate, (Bxxxxxrd had the chain woven through the suspension ) needless to say I know where this clamper and his respective company normally takes advantage of free parking at the weekends with their vans - needless to say I will be getting a lot of value back for my clamping fee in the very near future!!

Send me a PM with that info if you wouldn't mind, a taste of their own medicine mightn't go astray

Advertisement