Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamp removal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

LOL - Good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

where did you get clamped and did you do any damage to your own car,nice job gettin it off lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

where did you get clamped and did you do any damage to your own car,nice job gettin it off lol

Got clamped in the industrial estate. I wasn't illegal parked or anything. Absolutely no damage to my car, the consaw went through the chain In about 4 seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Hahahahaha you sir are a legend and a scholar. Bringing it home as a souveneir and all is brilliant

seanybiker wrote: »
    Hahahahaha you sir are a legend and a scholar. Bringing it home as a souveneir and all is brilliant

Haha thanks, I guess they didn't see the sign* in my car that says anything attached without permission will be removed by any means necessary and a release fee will apply. I'm going to ring them in the morning to arrange collection and payment of said release fee. I'll post an update then

*sign may or may not have been there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Time wrote: »
    Haha thanks, I guess they didn't see the sign* in my car that says anything attached without permission will be removed by any means necessary and a release fee will apply. I'm going to ring them in the morning to arrange collection and payment of said release fee. I'll post an update then

*sign may or may not have been there

They will have taken photos of your car anyway that would show said sign!

BTW, why ring them? (I know you jest....)
    You won't hear from them ever again.

On a related note, I keep a 1000w inverter in the car (connect to battery terminals only), to which I can plug in a small angle grinder. Much better than carrying around a battery powered one, which will be flat by the time you ever get to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

might i suggest if people aere clamped they pm you and pay you say €25 for you to cut it off for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Kracken wrote: »
    might i suggest if people aere clamped they pm you and pay you say €25 for you to cut it off for them

Ah no! Sure, let him do it out of the charity of his heart, like Angle Grinder Man! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Have to share this story, my friend got his car clamped in w.i.t, had to call the clamp person or whatever, pay the 80 euros fine etc.
    anyway, while your man was taking of the clamp and patronising my friend ('i hope ya learn yer lesson sonny, no less than ya deserved etc.') he bent over and his iphone which was nestled in his shirt pocket fell out and smashed all over the ground.
    Needless to say, that softened the blow of an 80 euro fine

The pic will probably be in the paper next week lol. If it is and they decide to take some quotes from here, take this. " hello Mam "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

time your defo gonna go down as a legend alongside how do lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Fairplay Time! Bloody power-trippin private clampers wreck my head!

I have an uncle that used to work/live in London and had enough of the crazy parking fees, and the difficulty of finding a space. So he bought a clamp (& key) from a friend in the council (or UK equivalent) and used to park his van wherever he wanted, put his own clamp on it, and leave it! Then, in the evenings he could just take it off, throw it in the back and drive home!

So I rang them this morning to arrange the return of it and they said the guards were dealing with it and they weren't interested in what I had to say. Not sure what the guards are gonna say because since I never intended to keep it it's not theft. If they say give it back I'll let them collect it from my address in donegal

Will keep ye all updated anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

So I rang them this morning to arrange the return of it and they said the guards were dealing with it

I think this was a bad move, i would have left the clamp at the scene and left it at that, if the guards called, deny any involment, unless they have CCTV around they can't exactly prove it was you.

I had a friend who was clamped and he removed it and left the clamp in a skip, he never heard anything from the company or guards about it after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Vanbis wrote: »
    I think this was a bad move, i would have left the clamp at the scene and left it at that, if the guards called, deny any involment, unless they have CCTV around they can't exactly prove it was you.

I had a friend who was clamped and he removed it and left the clamp in a skip, he never heard anything from the company or guards about it after.

I agree with you on this one. Once Time removed the clamper's property from the scene it became theft, a theft they've now admitted to by contacting the clamp's owners. Prior to that it would have been difficult to prove anything against anyone. Not clever at all.

Haha your mad ringing em man. I wouldn't have rang at all. You can't say it was a random hero going around now chopping off clamps, or I suppose you could and said you seen the clamp in bits beside your car so brought it off with you incase someone robs it.
    Up in Donetsk and all lol.

old gregg wrote: »
    I agree with you on this one. Once Time removed the clamper's property from the scene it became theft, a theft they've now admitted to by contacting the clamp's owners. Prior to that it would have been difficult to prove anything against anyone. Not clever at all.

I'd actually disagree on the Theft part, according to Criminal Justice act here http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/act/pub/0050/sec0004.html#sec4 "a person is guilty of theft if he or she dishonestly appropriates property without the consent of its owner and with the intention of depriving its owner of it"

The important bit there is intention. I never intended to deprive them of it, that's why i took it with me. I was even considerate enough to call them them to arrange collection;).

Anyway i want them to know i did it and that if the clamp me again they'll just have the same hassle. They can take me to court if they want, in fact I'd love to hear them explain how they're legally authorized to clamp legally parked cars in a public place, without interfering with the mechanism of a vehicle (private property is still a public place under the Road Traffic Act), unfortunately i doubt they'll bother.

Fair point actually time. Good man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

i seen this happen in dublin. was parked on the quay down past the heineken building came back to the car ( mine for some reason was the only 1 not clamped) 7 to 8 cars were all clamped. 1 guy quite nice and polite wasnt happy had his ticket that was not out of time. he went to a local hire shop hired out a cutting machine went back to his car and cut it off. I thought it was absolutely brilliant. But get this not only did he cut his off he cut off the other 7 cars aswell. They all left the 8 clamps against the wall and headed off. Made me laugh for days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

clamperbeingclamped.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I'd actually disagree on the Theft part, according to Criminal Justice act here http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/act/pub/0050/sec0004.html#sec4 "a person is guilty of theft if he or she dishonestly appropriates property without the consent of its owner and with the intention of depriving its owner of it"

The important bit there is intention. I never intended to deprive them of it, that's why i took it with me. I was even considerate enough to call them them to arrange collection;).

Anyway i want them to know i did it and that if the clamp me again they'll just have the same hassle. They can take me to court if they want, in fact I'd love to hear them explain how they're legally authorized to clamp legally parked cars in a public place, without interfering with the mechanism of a vehicle (private property is still a public place under the Road Traffic Act), unfortunately i doubt they'll bother.

You sir are a legend!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

deisemum wrote: »
    clamperbeingclamped.jpg

Karma? That's not a clamper van that's a speed camera van. Clearly recognizable by the speed camera picture on the side of the van..

Are they secured with a padlock? Because you could pick it with any basic lock-picking kit.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Are they secured with a padlock? Because you could pick it with any basic lock-picking kit.

It's extremely difficult to pick a high quality lock like the ones on clamps.
    It's not like the movies you know.......:)

Freezing the lock and then swift use of lump hammer & chisel would be much easier ( but would of course still leave obvious damage)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

And this Video - from Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Time, you deserve a medal for this fine bit of work. These fookin clampers are a bunch of evil doers and it's truly a public service you did! You are Clamperman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

gman2k wrote: »
    It's not like the movies you know.......:)

Freezing the lock and then swift use of lump hammer & chisel would be much easier ( but would of course still leave obvious damage)

Bust the lock and replace it with identical lock leaving key with it. (tell them they most have left the key behind )

Surely it would be cheaper paying for a lock then paying the fine.

gman2k wrote: »

Are you a lock-picking aficionado?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Advertisement