Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goat Meat

Options
  • 02-09-2011 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I was fortunate to sample some goat on a spit a few years ago and it was delicious. Just wondering why it is not more popular. Have never seen it on a menu now or in butchers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tasha200

We love goat meat in our house, best in a curry, slow cooked mmmmmmmmmm x also on a spit as you said.. there is a guy in tipp who has a goat farm where you can purchase a whole goat for your freezer... most afro carribean/asian shops who sell meat have them though they are usually halal... we got some frozen goat meat of one in Galway and it wasnt very nice to be honest (could have been any animal really for all we knew)

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2055430436&rct=j&q=goat%20meat%20ireland&ei=8CFhTpqXGc-XhQefjckg&usg=AFQjCNEJfVyOh0ZgYwAhmcSAjXr4uZoGqw&cad=rja

this might help....

I dont think in the current climate that butchers will stock anything that isnt your norm, too risky especially if fresh.. i have yet to see goat on a menu, and wonder if this has something to do with eu legislation or something, you would think it would go down great really... truly a lovely healthy meat mmmmmm x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Thanks. Not really looking to buy it, just wondering why it is not more popular in general :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

WindSock wrote: »
    Thanks. Not really looking to buy it, just wondering why it is not more popular in general :)

I'd hazard a guess that it is economic i.e. sheep/cattle produce more meat per hectare and so are preferred by farmers. Goat seems more popular in Asia (India especially) where sheep/cattle would probably not do as well. That's just a guess mind.

It's one of the reasons horse meat is not that popular - takes more grass to produce a kilo of horse flesh.

I had it once before, some friend of the auld fellow arrived in the door with half a goat carcass. Not far off lamb/mutton as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

We looked for it in FX Buckley before to make a goat curry, and the butcher behind the counter told us they were not allowed to sell it! Any truth to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I can't understand why they would not be allowed sell it.

It really is lovely meat. I've had it quite a few times here in Switzerland - slow-roasted kid served with boiled new spuds & string beans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

novarock wrote: »
    We looked for it in FX Buckley before to make a goat curry, and the butcher behind the counter told us they were not allowed to sell it! Any truth to this?

None at All, its a cloven hoofed animal so comes under the same regs as sheep etc. Butchers sometimes have very active imaginations and quick mouths.

Most of the 10,000 goats here are for Milk Production.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Corsendonk wrote: »
    None at All, its a cloven hoofed animal so comes under the same regs as sheep etc. Butchers sometimes have very active imaginations and quick mouths.

Most of the 10,000 goats here are for Milk Production.
    Could it be the fact that most goat meat in ireland is wild goat (farmed animals are milked etc) so they can't sell stuff that guys have hunted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Mellor wrote: »
    Could it be the fact that most goat meat in ireland is wild goat (farmed animals are milked etc) so they can't sell stuff that guys have hunted.

Nope, if you google; several of the goat meat providers in Ireland rear the goats, it isn't wild meat. Its a niche market, popular in certain ethnic communities but overall not in great demand in the main population so I don't think any of the slaughtor houses are approved to kill goats. The slaughtor house system in Ireland is a mess and a monopoly.

There is a ban on importing goat breeding stock from certain countries were you run the risk of importing disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PhilTorres

Tried Goat meat in Northern Cyprus last year and it was delicious. Haven't even seen it anywhere since but it was very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Hi, just wondering if there are any butchers (or shops) in Galway selling goat meat?

Thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

carmex21 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if there are any butchers (or shops) in Galway selling goat meat?

Thanks!:)

I know a goat farmer in balinasloe... If anyone knows about outlet for goat meat she will ... Try googling kileens cheese Balinaloe and give her a bell ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This thread is 2 years old so I'm closing it.

@ carmex21, location specific questions get many more helpful replies in the Regional forum, so if I were you I'd post this in the Galway forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement