Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

September 3, Stage 14: Astorga - La Farrapona. Lagos de Somiedo 173.2km

• 02-09-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭

Astorga - La Farrapona. Lagos de Somiedo

Testing times in the mountains

This is the second of three consecutive (and increasingly tough) mountain stages and this one also ends on a summit finish new to the Vuelta. A break is sure to go with 100km to the summit of the first pass, the Ventana, but once beyond that their lead will be cut back rapidly, given the difficulty of the terrain. The final 5km of the San Lorenzo pass averages a leg-breaking 11 per cent. From there, it’s on to the final ascent of the Farrapona. This climb gets tougher the higher up it goes, which should guarantee an epic battle between the contenders for the leader’s red jersey.

vuelta2011_stage_14_map_600.jpg
    vuelta2011_stage_14_profile_600.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Finally! A proper mountain top finish.

Although the second last climb is a good bit harder. I hope someone goes there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Roche and Martin still in the group of favorites.

Dan looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Katousha really testing the legs of everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gaybeer

How was Roche looked today? Any chance he cracks the top 10 today?

• Advertisement

gaybeer wrote: »
    How was Roche looked today? Any chance he cracks the top 10 today?

The group was pretty select at the top of the penultimate climb. I'd say a few of them will totally crack in the last few Km's. If he stay with he'll move up alright.

If Moreno can get within a minute today he could be a real contender given tomorrows stage. Really looking forward to this last climb

The two boys still in the main group?

Dan struggling at the back there, hope he rides into it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭finlma

Looks like Martin is falling off the back of the group with 6km to go. Haven't heard a mention of Roche. Is he still in the group?

• Advertisement

gaybeer wrote: »
    The two boys still in the main group?

Still think they're both there. Roche dangling though.

Martin recovered, Nico at the very back, not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Nico at the back of the Favourites group there, looked under pressure to me.

Roche hanging in there :) ....Martin back on

finlma wrote: »
    Looks like Martin is falling off the back of the group with 6km to go. Haven't heard a mention of Roche. Is he still in the group?

I know the commentator said he was but i thought i saw him mid group. Another Garmin rider maybe?

corny wrote: »
    I know the commentator said he was but i thought i saw him mid group. Another Garmin rider maybe?

Aye wasn't Martin

Just saw the two of them side by side. Don't look great. Martin up Roche drooped

Here we go... Fair play Moreno

Froome doing another super job for Wiggins. Closing down the the attackers.

Nibali and Rodriguez blown.

• Advertisement

Wiggins may well have the vuelta in the bag now. Nibali and Rodriguez gone

Nibili gone by the looks of it

Roche and Dan dropped, among nibali and rodriguez.

Nibali gone!!!

Martin struggling

Martin is dropped for definite this time. Wiggins looks strong. Nibali gone off the back too.

Only 5 or 6 of them able to stay with the Sky riders. Wiggins taking a turn now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Froome and Wiggins look very strong and comfortable.

Menchov and Mollema the only ones left with the Sky duo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Wiggins and Froome have demolished everybody again

phenomenal riding by the Sky boys.

Wiggins has this tour in the bag, and i have to say, fair bloody play to him, to come back from the broken collar bone and perform at this level is truly outstanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Dan Martin finished 1:37 behind, Roche at 2.02 and Nibali at 2:05.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Nico 2.02 down?

Martin came in 16th and Roche 22nd. Roche 15th overall and Martin 20th.

Great day for Sky and poor day for everyone else.

GC:

Roche @ 3:32 in 15th
    Martin @ 5:36 in 20th

To be honest I can't see an Irish top ten finish happening this time round. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

That must have been some descent/crash yesterday!! :eek:
    Garmin-Cervelo rider calls riding end of stage "a crucifixion"

Sep Vanmarcke is determined to finish the Vuelta a Espana. Not even falling 40 meter down a ravine is going to stop him.

The Garmin-Cervelo rider, along with BMC'S Karsten Kroon, went over a guardrail on the descent of the Puerto de la Ventana on the Vuelta's fourteenth stage.

They were riding with Lampre's Daniel Righi when “suddenly there was a sharp left. We could not really see that coming,” he told Het Nieuwsblad. “The Lampre rider pulled in front of me and I could not avoid him. We almost flew along at high speed over the guardrail into the abyss.”

“I kept floating through the air. That's it, I thought. The buck stops here. It's over for me.”

“I crashed twice on the ground, with several trees involved, and suddenly I was on the ground. Just before the river. I scrambled right up and heard nothing and nobody. I tried to climb the hill, but it was too steep. The pulled me up with branches.”

Finally back on the road, he – of course – got back on the bike and rode on. Not that it was easy. “It was a crucifixion. Everything hurt. I was in shock. Two hours on a stretch on my bike crying."

Teammate Andreas Klier helped him up to the grupetto, and then he still had to face the grueling final 16km climb up La Farrapona, with the help of teammate Andreas Klier and Stijn Devolder. “I will remain eternally grateful. They literally pushed me upward. Without them I would not have made it.”

Once the stage was over, he was taken to hospital in Oviedo. Late last night he was given the good news that although his back and neck are bruised, and with his whole body covered with scrapes and abrasions, nothing was broken.

For Vanmarcke it was clear. He would be at the start again on Sunday, even though his team management is opposed to the idea. “I will ride through to Madrid. Nothing can stop me.”

Kroon was not so lucky. He was forced to withdraw from the race with a broken arm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

happytramp wrote: »
    To be honest I can't see an Irish top ten finish happening this time round. :(

meh thats loser talk

Advertisement