Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get my mice used to being handled?

• 02-09-2011 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have two gorgeous little mice. They are about 2 months old. I have trained them to eat treats from my hand and they are very relaxed about my hand being in their cage. I have picked them up briefly a couple of times just to transfer them into the cage etc..

The problem is now I would like them to get used to being picked up. I have kept mice before and always picked them up by the base of the tail and then straight onto my other hand. However these two girls don't seem too keen with this and one of them bit me this morning. This has made me less confident to pick them up and Im wondering if anyone here has more experience and some tips.

Maybe I have taken too much time getting them used to my hand and should have started picking them up frequently sooner than this? I really don't want to give up as it would be nicer for me and them if they become used to being picked up.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I just kept my hand very still in the cage for a few minutes a day, eventually they started climbing up onto it, now when I put my hand in they'll run straight to it and climb up my arm. So when I need to pick one up, I put my hand in and wait for them.
    I've never managed to pick them up by their tails, doesn't feel right to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

Not sure if it's the same for mice but with my hamster I got her used to it by putting a toilet roll holder into her cage. She'd climb into it then i'd put my hand over one side and pick her up using that. She felt very secure in it and seemed very calm. I'd let her come out of it onto my hand then when she was out. After a while of that I started letting her run onto my hand instead of the holder!

Advertisement