Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ze Bulli

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Whats the advantage of having the coil at one end as opposed to in the middle?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

in rawvegs video he said he found it performed better with the coil at the end of the wick rather than in the middle with the legs wrapped around both sides

i was leaning more towards coil in the middle until recently but now im leaning back towards coil at the end

*shrug*

try both, see which you prefer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

that seems like too much wick for the RDA, try it with 2gf and the coil at the end

also no.. cant say I got liquid in the hole, you putting too much in? or leaving it down with the hole facing down?
    yeah I've been fiddling with what location the hole is best at.. I dont actually think 11 o clock is best i'm leaning more towards 10 or in between 10 and 11.. have to kinda look at it and try to imagine where the air will be sucking in when i'm taking a drag and how I can get it to cover the most coils at a time

Yeah will have to get some wire to suit 2GF, it's just that i had it absolutely perfect before the way it's setup now. I know exactly the vape i am trying to achieve.
    Definitely not putting too liquid much in, if i put air hole in different position so that it won't clog the hole i get feck all vapour.

Pain in the hole taking that case off it too and liquid dripping all over the place :rolleyes:

The a2 just ticks all the boxes for me.

Will try a few more repairs before deciding what to do with it.

ah yeah I know the feeling. getting it perfect one time and then not the next is pretty annoying

im kinda confused as how you're getting liquid in the hole tbh.. cant really say anything though, you've linked the instructions to me enough times that I just assume you know the way it's supposed to go :D

ah yeah I know the feeling. getting it perfect one time and then not the next is pretty annoying

im kinda confused as how you're getting liquid in the hole tbh.. cant really say anything though, you've linked the instructions to me enough times that I just assume you know the way it's supposed to go :D

:D
    True, it's vaping good though, just lacking that something.
    It's just a matter of getting it right once again and remembering how ya did it for consistency.

• Advertisement

I just made another wick and coil. 5 turns of 0.13 Nichrome came to 1.8 ohms so it's excatly where I want it.

Andrei came back and told me that his 0.16 is Kanthal. Whats the difference between that and Nichrome? Sorry for all the questions but new to the repairables.

kanthal is a little thicker so easier to work with

afaik kanthal has a more pronounced taste to it which dissapears completely over time (you can prepare the wire with a lighter before making the coil to help this) whereas nichrome has a les pronounced more background taste to it which dissapears but never fully goes away so is always there in the background.
    cant say i've noticed it, but I mainly use nichrome so maybe i'm just used to it

kanthal is generally used for mesh wicks for reasons i've forgotten but seemed convincing at the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think kanthal is also more suitable for higher temperatures, and should last longer. Although I think the temps involved are much higher than we use for vaping, and our coils/wicks usually get covered in gunk before they wear out.

edit: oh and I think kanthal oxidises much quicker so that might be why it's better for mesh, less chance of a short?

derra wrote: »
    Is anyone getting the air hole clogged up with liquid?, probably need to move that around to find the best position.

Where does your wick sit in relation to the hole? If it's near to it, it might let some liquid up to it. I pushed my wick right down after putting the casing on, don't know if that's right or wrong but I haven't been getting any juice out the air hole*.

Another possibility is that the chamber is quite big, and seems to keep a ton of vapour after you're done, so condensation could be an issue. Might be worth sucking out the left over vapour every few hits you take.

*except when I tried blowing in the mouth piece to see the jet of vapour come out the airhole :)

stevenmu wrote: »
    edit: oh and I think kanthal oxidises much quicker so that might be why it's better for mesh, less chance of a short?

The Nichrome oxidises quicker, always put a lighter flame to whichever wire your using before doing a coil.
    If you do 6 turns of .2 Nichrome ya might get 1.8 Ohms
    The Kanthal .2 would need 5 turns to get same resistance.
    Just different properties between the two.
    I'd use Nichrome for that extra turn on the Bulli so that the wick won't dry as quick and more vapour.
    stevenmu wrote: »
    Where does your wick sit in relation to the hole? If it's near to it, it might let some liquid up to it. I pushed my wick right down after putting the casing on, don't know if that's right or wrong but I haven't been getting any juice out the air hole*.

Another possibility is that the chamber is quite big, and seems to keep a ton of vapour after you're done, so condensation could be an issue. Might be worth sucking out the left over vapour every few hits you take.

*except when I tried blowing in the mouth piece to see the jet of vapour come out the airhole :)

The coil and wick should be parallel to the holes on the terminals. It's annoying when ya had a perfectly working setup previously and fail to get it again, so many variations to try out.
    Sir DCC is kindly sending me some .15 wire so will try it again when i get that.

• Advertisement

I was very happy with my 2.3 ohm but threw it out for a new 1.8 ohm one. Thats the great thing about these things.....

Think I'll have to do up another 2.3 ohm though. The flavour and nic (I guess) are soooo intense at 1.8 ohm. I'm only using an eGo and 9mg but it's kind of overpowering for me.

I used a long wick too so I'm going to trim it back a bit cos it's EATING juice on me now.

I was very happy with my 2.3 ohm but threw it out for a new 1.8 ohm one. Thats the great thing about these things.....

Think I'll have to do up another 2.3 ohm though. The flavour and nic (I guess) are soooo intense at 1.8 ohm. I'm only using an eGo and 9mg but it's kind of overpowering for me.

I used a long wick too so I'm going to trim it back a bit cos it's EATING juice on me now.

So many options with them and as long as you have the wick and wire you can repair anytime.
    It's gonna eat the juice either way, if it works fine with the length of wick in it ya be better off keeping that way in future.
    Ya would still have to drip into it to keep it going, all repairables goes through the juice fast.

Another genesis type atty available to get...
    http://ukvapers.com/topic/22859-aviss-rebuildable-genesis/
    owtIt.jpg
    PdYHf.jpg

I received Andrei's wick today. It's one strand as opposed to the 2 strands that came from Clockworks. I assume I can just wind them together?

just cut a length off, fold it in two and wind on that

you can leave the loop at the end on if you want, I like to cut it with a scissors so i have two same length strands.. i dont know if it makes a bit of difference

just cut a length off, fold it in two and wind on that

you can leave the loop at the end on if you want, I like to cut it with a scissors so i have two same length strands.. i dont know if it makes a bit of difference

I'll try some of his wick and wire next then. The one I have is working very well but cos the damn stuff is so cheap, I'm tempted to go try another one. It's great to be able to experiment so easily and cheaply.

I left the loops in the wick and they made it a bit of a pain to wrap it inside the casing putting it back on, I think it might be easier if you just snip them.

Done a couple of coils earlier with the .15 Nichrome.
    Working best at ..
    2qvf2pk.jpg
    Was close to 12cm of wick
    5 turns is giving me exactly 2 Ohms and have the Twist @ 4v.

Vaping nicely at that, flavour is coming through very strong.
    Getting a good decent amount of vapour with a smooth draw.

Gonna leave it that for a while and see how it fairs out over time.
    Pretty happy with that.
    It's a messy atty trying to get it right though.

Then i go to the a2 for a few puffs and it just has that extra bite for me in all areas.

Will cut down on flavour for the RDA later, bit more throathit is what i need at the moment.

you have the coil in the middle or at the end?

At the end, when it dries out a bit i will centre it and see what it's like.

• Advertisement

one weird thing about the RDA
    i'm vaping a 1.9 ohm coil at 3.1volts which is around 5 watts
    and i'm enjoying it

i'd still rather 10+ watts, can't figure out a way of getting that without burning the **** out of the wick but I would never enjoy a vape of this low power with any other device (maybe another rebuildable.. maybe)

I still haven't gotten over the habit of slowly bumping the voltage up, ending up at 5volts, wrecking the wick and then starting all over again with a new coil/wick at 3ish volts but hopefully I'll get over that in time :)

I'm only using an eGo and 1.8ohms and its perfect. I did lower and raise the voltage on an eGo VV and both were lovely too but not much different than my standard eGo.

Is it the chamber itself thats the key with this thing I wonder. The chamber itself must aid the flavour and vapour in some way.

Fantastic yoke anyway. I even find myself vaping a lot less with it cos I get such satisfaction when I do use it. I never got that satisfaction with any other equipment.

Did'nt get much time to play around with mine but i did revert back to the .2 wire.
    6 turns at 1.7 Ohms.

Got the length of wick and in the middle of it i wrapped it around my little finger twice to give me 4 strands to put the coil around and that leaves two tails.
    Coil at the end of the wick.

Using it on the eGo battery and it's working brilliantly at the moment.

I think two strands of wick is not enough, not saying it's right or wrong but i have it working better with the coil around 4 strands of wick.

Just gonna take the RDA for what it is now, it's a different vape to the Bulli which i still prefer but it's a great vape nonetheless. Different qualities in both of them.

Will probably hang on to it, if i do i do, if i don't i don't.

Will look forward to the mini kayfun in SS unless i go for a Genesis type again to try out in the meantime.

how on earth did you get a 1.7ohm coil doing that?

i tried some .2 and did the same and i ended up around 2.4ohms

on the plus side it seems to be handling 5 volts a lot better than 2 strands

I guess the 4 strands of wick are feeding so much juice to the coil that it doesnt have time to burn/singe the wick

--edit

jesus I can push this thing at 5.8V for ages and still no red glowing spots on the coil

I always get that measurement with 6 turns of Nichrome .20.
    I'm using the wick Andrei had for sale when we first heard about him, the stuff he has now i would probably get 1.5 Ohms with 6 turns as it is a bit thinner.

Two strands of wick @ HV would just dry out too quick.

im using the new stuff and im getting .7 ohms more than you, how in the hell
    I couldnt be pulling the wire any tighter or closer together or it'd be one solid row of metal

just so im clear on this
    we're talking about the equivelant of 4 seperate strands of the wick laid side by side, bunched up and then a coil made around them.. yes?
    that sort of thickness in the wick

Yep, have a couple of meters there to check them as well, always consistent.
    I get the same measurement with the Bulli a2 anyway.
    Ya sure it's Nichrome .20?

Same as 4 GF below.

dxehyt.jpg

With the way i done it, there is not much of the 4 strands either side of the coil.

Using a very thin sewing needle.

I'm not wrapping it mad tight either, pinches the wick nicely after i remove the needle.

Have to keep using same pic as i have no camera or decent phone to take any pics but the coil is like this on the Bulli and RDA and a little neater after i have done fiddling with it.

30w2kxj.jpg

With the way i done it, there is not much of the 4 strands either side of the coil.
    how do you mean? there's no wick lounging around inside the base?

yeah I have the 4gf.. im reasonable sure it's .20 nichrome, the card its wrapped around has .20 written on it. I got it from terry0769 over on ukvapers ages ago and I did ask for .20 nichrome
    im wrapping it pretty tight but once I pull the needle out it does sit nicely on the wick so i dont think i'm too tight or loose

I guess a sewing neeedle would be a fair bit thinner than the sharp syringe needle I'm using.. that must be it
    weird that it'd cause such a large difference though

either way I'm loving this vape. I can comfortably hit at 5V now without fear of burning the wick, flavour/vapour are all how I like them. i was more than happy with the vape from my RDA with 2 strands. I've said a few times I was trying to get it going right at higher volts but I was still loving it, 90-95% happy with the vape but the extra oomph from the higher voltage is really hitting the spot.. i'm at 100% now.. or at least I will be in a couple of days if I open the RDA up and dont see a charred black mess of wick in there

• Advertisement

how do you mean? there's no wick lounging around inside the base?

Get a length of wick, say 10 cm or whatever you prefer.

Get it in the middle and wrap it around your little finger twice.

You will now have 4 strands of wick and two tails.

Fiddle with the 4 strands bit so that you maintain 4 strands but just enough for the coil to go on leaving a bit on either side, should be two tails lounging around the base then.

I drop in some juice and leave it for a while then vape away.

Advertisement