Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiramisu.... A very simple recipe

Options
  • 02-09-2011 8:33pm
    Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭

I've done a few searches, and there doesn't seem to be a boards Tiramisu recipe... So I am going to post mine.. I know there is a recipe thread, but I think this on deserves a thread on its own because there are none? but mods, please feel free to move if you wish.

Ingredients:
    500g mascarpone cheese
    300ml very stronge coffee (3 tbsps ground coffee)
    200g custard
    3 tbsps sugar
    8 tbsps rum (or Tia Maria/coffee liquer)
    200g pack of ladyfingers
    2 tbsp cocoa

Method:

pour the rum into the coffee and stir.

Layer half of the fingers in your dish and soak with 200ml of the coffee and leave to soak up for 10/15 mins. it is essential that you give it this time:

DSCF3547.jpg

in a large bowl, put the mascarpone, sugar and custard and mix until smooth:

DSCF3548.jpg

when the sponge is soaked, layer half of the mascarpone on top of the sponge:

DSCF3549.jpg

then individually dip each of the remaining ladyfingers into the coffee mix, and layer on top of the cheese.

Once all the sponge is on top, there should be some coffee left. Use a teaspoon and spoon some more onto the sponge, but not too much, you dont want it too soggy.

DSCF3550.jpg

DSCF3551.jpg

then spread the last of the mascarpone on top of the sponge evenly, and then sieve cocoa powder on top:

DSCF3552.jpg

DSCF3553.jpg

And Voila!! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Can I ask why it's essential to leave the fingers to soak for so long? You're technically only meant to dip them in the coffee for a few seconds either side, as they are not meant to be soggy when the dessert is ready, they should still have their shape but be moist.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

It gives the sponge time to soak the coffee/alcohol and makes it much easier to spread the mascarpone. If the sponge is still soggy, they will move around the dish! Also, by leaving it to soak, you dont get soggy sponge, but you do get more coffee/alcohol than you would if you just dipped them, hence why it is essential to allow for soakage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Nice alternative, there are so many ways to do it not sure what the traditional way is but it's that kind of desert that should be played around with coz it's so yum.
    Just scoffed a second piece of Baileys tiramisu even if you don't like coffee much it's still one of those dessert that is moreish. I didn't realise how delish Marscapone was in a dessert until recently.

I nearly made a boo boo by not letting the coffee go completley cold the biccys just fell apart. The one I made yesterday I decided to make the sponge a little less soggy than normal it was still nice but I guess it depends on what kind of texture you prefer. If too soggy when you cut it you don't see the individual sponge fingers but if you just want an overall sponge layer and more moist then soggier is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Interesting alternative. I imagine its one for thise with a sweet tooth though, the custard along with all that sugar must make it extremely sweet and very heavy!!

Personally when it comes to my version of Tiramisu, I make the coffee very strong, and dip the savoiardi for only a few seconds, then sprinkle the liquer over. I only make it the night before it's to be served so the mascarpone layer has time to settle and soak a little with the savoiardi. I prefer it to be a delicate dessert, and when i need to sate my sugar cravings I reach for the chocolate fudge cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I've started using the Nescafe Espresso it's just the jarred stuff I guess to make a genuine one you need the fresh stuff but it works well, it's more creamy than the instant coffee I was using.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

The custard certainly doesnt make it sweet at all, it only helps so make the cheese a little smoother and lessens the taste of cheese is all. It's not a sweet dessert but is strong with coffee but exceptionally tasty

Advertisement