Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSSI all over the place.

Options
  • 02-09-2011 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi all, I got UPC the other day, and it was great except I noticed periodically my signal was dropping to 2 bars for a bit then shooting back to full, so today I downloaded inSSIDer to see what channel the neighbors were on so I could change it. Turns out they're on 1, we're on 6, no overlap (apart from an occasional overlap with a faint signal that switches between channel 10 and 6 constantly). However, our RSSI is jumping all over the show, whereas both the neighbours signals are somewhat flat. The modem can't easily be moved far at the moment, and often the signal is good anyway.

I can't fathom why this is happening, so if anyone can help that'd be much appreciated.

I've attached a pic (i changed to channel 4 just to see if it'd help at all)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to Wireless forum, nothing to do with the Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭longwhitecross+

Sorry bud, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

As has been pointed out numerous times by a variety of posters wireless suffers from RF interference. It could be a baby alarm, a video streamer, or numerous other devices.

Wireless is great for browsing and lightweight networking but if you want or need to do anything heavy which requires a stable connection you need to use a cable.

Advertisement