Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercings & Swimming

Options
  • 02-09-2011 8:56pm

I got my first piercing yesterday and I am contemplating going to a swimming pool on Monday as I'm trying to build up my fitness again.

Would it be OK to go swimming after being recently pierced or are there any precautions I should take? Or afterwards would I need to clean it in any special say rather than the usual sea salt and lukewarm water?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

would you use pool water to clean a fresh cut?

would you use pool water to clean a fresh cut?

So the answer is no then...?

How long should I leave it for do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

So the answer is no then...?

How long should I leave it for do you think?

Where did you get done? I got my lobe done over in spain and was in the pool all week and had no problems. Got my eyebrow and helix done here and I was in the pool twice a week after the gym and had no problems.
    Just my experience though, others could of had problems from the chlorine.

It's just the lobe. I wasn't sure if the chlorine might cause some infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

For a few of my piercings (wrist, nape, maybe others...) I was told to stay out of the pool for a few weeks, 4-6 I think. Or if I was going to swim, I should cover the piercing with vaseline so the chlorine & germs wouldn't get into the unhealed piercing too much; then to give it a good clean with something like Carex after to get the vaseline & pool residue off the skin. Sounded like a lot of effort so I just took a break from swimming :o

For my VCH I was told it was ok to swim, since I guess it's not external / so exposed as other surface piercings, but if I could give it a little while to heal that would be best. Wasn't advised to do the whole vaseline & soap routine anyway.

So I'd guess it depends on what kind of piercing you have, and how conscientious you are about cleaning / following your piercer's aftercare advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭Taz1

I got my helix done at the start of the summer and was also told not to go swimming for about 2 months until it was fully healed but I chanced my arm and decided to go after about 6 weeks. It was fine but I made sure to clean it just before I got into the pool and straight after I got out - I had no problems but thats just me?

Advertisement