Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

charlais sheep

• 02-09-2011 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

are charlais sheep the only way forward
    easy lambing, lively and suck quick, finish well, kill out well, and are docile......im kinda annoyed i bought a texel ram rather than a second charlais ???

opinions please and advice on what ram breeds is best for my suffolk cross ewes and ewe lambs???

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭hedgecutting eddie

roosky wrote: »
    easy lambing, lively and suck quick, finish well, kill out well, and are docile......im kinda annoyed i bought a texel ram rather than a second charlais ???

opinions please and advice on what ram breeds is best for my suffolk cross ewes and ewe lambs???

thanks

suffolk cross ewes cross with texel and keep ewe lambs shear them next august and cross them to a charolais ,never never never put a texel to a ewe lamb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I used a charollais ram once (and once only:mad:). I found the lambs very soft. First shower after turn out and they were sheltering by the ditch. After a few days rain i was going around with a bag collecting dead lambs. Maybe it was the year but the vendeen belclare and dorset lambs thrived. Or maybe it was just the ram i bought:(

Texels are hard lambing but i think the beltex is easier lambed (according to a friend that used them). The vendeen is hardy and easy lambing and fierce tasty for the freezer;) but growth rates are average.

It all depends what you are breeding towards as to what you should use really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

roosky wrote: »

thanks

No , but whatever ram you choose get a good one ,

5live wrote: »
    I used a charollais ram once (and once only:mad:). I found the lambs very soft. First shower after turn out and they were sheltering by the ditch. After a few days rain i was going around with a bag collecting dead lambs. Maybe it was the year but the vendeen belclare and dorset lambs thrived. Or maybe it was just the ram i bought:(

Texels are hard lambing but i think the beltex is easier lambed (according to a friend that used them). The vendeen is hardy and easy lambing and fierce tasty for the freezer;) but growth rates are average.

It all depends what you are breeding towards as to what you should use really

we like the vendeen as well and as you say they are our choice for the freezer as well,

we tend to go for the a charollais with the whitish head as opposed to the pink we think the lambs have a bit more hair (wool?) when born,

the downside is that the lambs tend to follow the dam's characteristics in appearance and often lose the ch look, doesn't really bother us as we sell to factory or abattoir

we creep the early lambs and can't see much difference in ch vn or texel performances but thought in the late lambs the ch done better on grass only , as you said it could be just down to the ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

used no other terminal sire for 20 years except charollais, think they are best all rounder, easy lambed, lambs up quick and gone, find them hardy, grow like stink, easy to get to high weights if needed, good kill out %, clean and good resistance to worms.
    They are nuts though and never keep them as ewes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

Charolais are are a great all round sheep breed. Hardy, easy lambing, kill out, etc.

The only down side i have noticed is that the ewe lambs are not really wanted in marts like other breeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭roosky

thanks for advice....mixed as it may be....just from what i have done with tha ch ram has worked very well....i put him with 30 hoggets and got 51 lambs only loosing one triplet....maybe they are a bit softer but mine were brought in at night for 1st few nights !!!

Advertisement