Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Only Home Broadband

Options
  • 02-09-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hope Im posting this in the correct place!

Just looking for some advice...

Im looking to change from the Phone and Broadband package I have with Eircom to a company that does Broadband at a reasonable rate.

It needs to be wireless so I can use it with my laptop and phone.

I see some companies do just broadband but they charge line rental also.

Im changing to save a bit of money so dont eant to be forking out for line rental when I wont be using the landline at all

Thanks in Advance!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Broadband can be supplied in the following ways.

ADSL uses the telephone line.

Cable uses a cable connection to you premises . Not available in all areas.

Fibre optic uses a fibre optic cable. Available in fewer areas.

Fixed wireless supplied wirelessly to your premises.

Wimax a version of wireless.

Satellite usually expensive and suffers from latency due to having to travel to the satellite and back.

3g usually by way of a dongle.

Unless you live in an area where cable or fibre is an option then provided your telephone line is good enough then ADSL is the cheaper of the other options.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The "wireless" factor which you mention for your laptop and phone has nothing got to do with the type of broadband that you choose.

What you are talking about is a domestic wireless network. This is set up by the use of a wireless router to supply a wireless signal and it can be set up irrespective of the type of broadband that you choose.

Advertisement