Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Speed looks to be capped Eircom

Options
  • 02-09-2011 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi Folks,

I have had Eircom wireless broadband for ages and have just been ugraded to NGB 8MB Regular with unlimited download. I have not noticed any difference which is leading me to think that there is a cap on my download speed. The speeds i received according to Eircom speed test is 4.8 MB DL and 0.5 UL. However the most i get when download anything is between 500-600 KB/s. Is there something i need to do or do i need to call Eircom about this issue.

I have tested on other wireless connections and successfully reached 2 MB DL Speed and this is start to really frustrate me.

If anyone can let me know if they have a solution or had the similar problem and know what to do to get it resolved it would be much apprepiated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Strange I'm on that NGB with unlimited cap too but my router tells me my speed is 5120/512 (kbps)

It's strange because If that's a speed of 5mb I get up to 500 kb/s (about the same as you) download as well as you so maybe somethings wrong

1463227641.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 IcyRossa

Willbbz wrote: »
    Strange I'm on that NGB with unlimited cap too but my router tells me my speed is 5120/512 (kbps)

It's strange because If that's a speed of 5mb I get up to 500 kb/s (about the same as you) download as well as you so maybe somethings wrong

1463227641.png

I tend to agree as it says it is uncongested, no traffic which i can gather that you must beable to download at faster speeds. I live right on the border with the north and my brother is able to download at speeds of 4 MB, To me the upgrade hasn't made one bit of difference! I will be calling Eircom tomorrow to see if there is anything that they can do. What is the point of having NGB if it doesn't make a difference. This is my speed test;

DL Speed 4.77 Mbps and UL Speed 0.43 Mbps

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There is no such thing as Eircom Wireless Broadband. Eircom and their dsl resellers supply bb to their customers over the phone line and if you then choose to use a wireless network that is your choice. Your isp is not responsible for the performance of your wireless network.

If you want find out what dl speeds you are getting then you should measure it over an ethernet connection.

You should also bear in mind that dsl bb is sold as up to a certain speed and that no download speed is guaranteed. The actual speed you manage to get is dependent on your line stats, distance from the exchange and often the internal wiring can have an impact too.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm is worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

dub45 is right in saying that you should use a Ethernet cable to get a more accurate speed test

Also you should try the talk to > eircom forum for support if you're still having problems.

Thanks Dub45 i must get a read of that, i have also tested it through the ethernet cable and it caps at the same speed. I would like to think that it they introduced NGB then surly my speed should be faster than before. Isn't that why they introduced it?

I don't think i am alone in this boat regarding the same issue.

• Advertisement

Willbbz wrote: »
    dub45 is right in saying that you should use a Ethernet cable to get a more accurate speed test

Also you should try the talk to > eircom forum for support if you're still having problems.

Thanks to you as well Willbbz i never knew there was a forum for eircom support, hopefully that should help with my query and i will try the ethernet cable again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

IcyRossa wrote: »
    Thanks Dub45 i must get a read of that, i have also tested it through the ethernet cable and it caps at the same speed. I would like to think that it they introduced NGB then surly my speed should be faster than before. Isn't that why they introduced it?

I don't think i am alone in this boat regarding the same issue.

Not necessarily as your line will near always be the limiting factor and if it is not capable of faster speeds then no amount of jargony new products can change that.

Anyone with dsl bb should always be familiar with their line stats this allows you to know the capabilities of your line.

Okay, so i checked my Motorola Netopia router stats for dsl and here are the results,

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 5536 512
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 36.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 0 0

Converting the download it looks as if the highest download i will be able to reach is 692 KBps, which shows me that eircom are very missing leading and know realise that i will never get download speeds of 1MBps or higher which i am very disappointed about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

IcyRossa wrote: »
    Okay, so i checked my Motorola Netopia router stats for dsl and here are the results,

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 5536 512
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 36.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 0 0

Converting the download it looks as if the highest download i will be able to reach is 692 KBps, which shows me that eircom are very missing leading and know realise that i will never get download speeds of 1MBps or higher which i am very disappointed about.

You pay for upto 8mbit (bit not byte) broadband. You're getting 5.5 mbit (5536 kbps or 692 KBps) and not doing too bad. There is no problem here

Advertisement