Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for the Ladies: new saddle or new shorts?

• 02-09-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Can I ask the lady cyclists out there a quick question or anyboy else who has an opinon whats more important a very good saddle or a very good shorts? I have a bbb womens saddle on my bike cost approx 30euro n have been wearing an altura womens specific shorts that I paid about the same for have also tried a few expensive bib shorts belonging to my brother that cost over 100euro but it makes no difference after about 30k my sit bones n other areas really achefrown.gif:o
    I have done a good bit of cycling since March or so a good few 80k plus spins so I dont think its the case of gettin used to the saddle or anything. I also got a very good bike fit so its not down to my position on the bike either. I have 100euro to spend so the question is a new saddle or shorts??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

I'm not a lady, but have you tried womens specific shorts, as the padding is more ergonmically designed for you, in saying that, a lot of women prefer wearing, and find that mens shorts are more comfortable. Another thing you could look at, is the actual saddle, just because it's a womens fit saddle, doesn't necessarily mean that it's the right saddle for you, a lot of people go through a lot of saddles before they find one that's just right.
    I can see your dilemma though as to how to spend your money,because both, correct saddle fit and comfortably padded and fitting shorts are the right option. I would try a new saddle first, as regards to what type, I wouldn't have a clue, because in the end, saddles are a personal choice for everyone, I don't know of anywhere that does a saddle fit, but it can be done using the measurement between your sit bones to determine the correct width of saddle which "MAY" be more comfortable for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I use a Specialized Jett at the moment and it's the most comfortable one I've owned. It's the newer model and is about 1 1/2 inches wider than the previous Jett model as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

you might find that if you lower your saddle a bit that the problems dissapear, if your saddle is too high you will create friction as you move from side to side at the bottom of the pedal stroke..

Also ensure that the saddle is horizontal and not pointing up at the front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

If your saddle is too narrow you'll end up putting most of your weight on your perineum instead of your sit bones which could explain your problems. Cycleways in town have a specialized fitting pad (basically just a bit of memory foam that you sit on) that gives you a pretty decent measurement of the width between your sit bones so you know what width saddle you need to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭velogirl

Definitely a new saddle - had the same problem and tried several saddles and eventually changed to a Selle SMP. Not cheap but ohh the comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

I actually went with new shorts, and am a lot more comfortable - bought from a site in America and the padding is very effective, if that's the right word! Spent $50 inc delivery. Can PM you the details if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

velogirl: one of these?
    trk_lady1.jpg
    I'd like to change the saddle on my bike too... But it's not so simple as it sound because I'm very new to cycling and I'm overwhelmed with the amount of brand names and choices...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I have used a BBB women saddle a few years ago and they have too much padding. The most comfortable saddles to me are the ones with less padding.

I find specialized saddles really good. I have the Ruby saddle and I have ridden on it for the past 4 years for racing and long sportives. I recently got a specialized jett saddle for my track bike and winter bike.

I also heard a lot of women I cycle with very happy with their selle italia women's saddle.

Obviously the shorts will make a difference, I find the Castelli women padding extremely good and I really like the padding of the DHB range as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

Thanks a mil for all replies so far. Can u pm me the details SlinkyKittin n Il have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

trinib
    Before you spend more money on new saddles you really should check the saddle height as I suggested earlier to see will lowering the saddle sort the problem. I know that you are thinking but I got a bike fit!! how many riders have found that they had to change their positions after paying for bikefits?
    Check it out might save you money and sort the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

@12 sprocket. Il give it a go thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭carrielou

I am pretty new to cycling also but after 1000km in 2 months the bontrager saddle on bike was not doing it for me, really started kicking in about 40km and wud be very sore for a day or 2 after. changed the saddle to a Bontrager WSD medium and it definitely made a diff but have to say the assos shorts i bought 2 days before the 90k Sean Kelly are absolutely the bees knees, not 1 bit of soreness, worked for me but I understand everyone is so different, best of luck cos it makes such a difference being comfortable out there :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭velogirl

j@utis wrote: »
    velogirl: one of these?
    trk_lady1.jpg
    I'd like to change the saddle on my bike too... But it's not so simple as it sound because I'm very new to cycling and I'm overwhelmed with the amount of brand names and choices...

That's the one - they're great - hoping to get one of the more expensive ones shortly

Advertisement