Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ucd Science

Options
  • 02-09-2011 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all

I am currently going into science Dn200 in ucd soon but i have one slight concern

My course choice is DN200BBB which according to the booklet will lead to a degree in Biochemistry, Zoology etc. But If i enjoy Chemistry or physics ( both of which I have never done before ) Will I be able to persue one of these to degree level if Ihave an interest in them ?

Regards
    Stuart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Studunne wrote: »
    Hi all

I am currently going into science Dn200 in ucd soon but i have one slight concern

My course choice is DN200BBB which according to the booklet will lead to a degree in Biochemistry, Zoology etc. But If i enjoy Chemistry or physics ( both of which I have never done before ) Will I be able to persue one of these to degree level if Ihave an interest in them ?

Regards
    Stuart

Just a quick question (the system may have changed since previous years) - what course code did you put on you CAO. Was it just "DN200"?

If you put "DN200" on your CAO, you should be able to pursue any degree in the science omnibus, that is, as long as you have registered to all the core modules for the subjects you wish to take to degree level. To keep your options open, you should choose core modules from different subject streams as option modules/ electives during registration.

If you decide that you would prefer to study something in a different subject stream, say Physics or Chemistry (MPS or CCS), and you have pursued the core modules for those subjects in first year, you should be able to transfer provided there are enough places available and your grades are good enough. It's relatively straightforward and it shouldn't really be a problem if you wish to do this later. The pathways in booklet are just suggestions.

Ask the Science Programme Office (science@ucd.ie) to verify this for you. They will be able to give you sounder information.

BTW, there's a large thread on this forum dedicated to UCD Science (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056046947) you should be able to get more info and talk to people doing Science there.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

As far as I know there are no denominated entry students at all this year (people who have chosen a particular subject in 1st year). I'm going into second year and I don't know anything really about the new process for 1st years but I got the impression that there were 2 main routes. One for the maths/physics people and another one for the biology/chem based subject areas.

I did omnibus last year so I didn't pick any subject before getting to college and this is the case for all 1st years this year. We filled out forms around Easter time with our subject preferences for second year. We were allocated subjects depending on your GPA (how well you did academically) and whether or not your choices worked together due to timetabling restrictions.

I would say that there would be very few if any restrictions about changing around as that's the whole point of the omnibus set up is that you can change your mind along the way as you get to try out the new subjects. Only issues would be if you chose all biology subjects and then decided you wanted to do physics or something but do a mix of subjects to keep your options open. This will all be explained during orientation week about keeping your options open so there's no need to worry at all.

The people in the programme office are really nice too so if you're worried about any modules that you chose or whatever they'll be able to help you out.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

There are three routes this year: BBB (Biology orientated), MPS (Maths/Physics orientated) and CCS (Chemistry orientated).

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

I'm doing DN200 BBB, but as far as I know it's not set in stone. You can definitely change now, and I'm fairly sure you still can after a year. Tbh your best option is to ask one of the lecturers or the science advisor, but like I said I think you can change after exploring your options in first year.

Advertisement